Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-18-2010, 03:04 PM

1,236 posts, read 3,919,806 times

Advertisements

This is more of a vent thread than anything but thoughts and comments are certainly welcome.

We got on the subject of deviance last night in sociology class and how it can take many forms. Some that is good, some that is bad and some that can bring change in the world. Well, this guy in our class which you can tell is lazy to begin with, has enough balls to raise his hand during the discussion and tell us how he got in school.

He begins telling us he didn't have any money, he didn't have a job and his mom also didn't have any money. So he decided to get a job, stay with it long enough to draw unemployment and then did something to get laid off so he wouldn't have to work and go to school at the same time. He didn't say what he did. So now he receives financial aid and unemployment and has no intentions of finding a job until his unemployment runs out.

I was so close to opening my mouth and telling him what a big pos he was but I figured It would just get me in some heat which I don't need.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-18-2010, 03:12 PM

18,226 posts, read 25,880,114 times
After reading this I am finding myself becoming ill.

Old 03-18-2010, 03:24 PM

3,727 posts, read 7,037,831 times
Can you call UI? UI only allows people to collect if they are actively looking for a job. And they only allow people to go to school under certain conditions.

Old 03-18-2010, 03:25 PM

8,182 posts, read 9,220,608 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gman6974 View Post
This is more of a vent thread than anything but thoughts and comments are certainly welcome.

We got on the subject of deviance last night in sociology class and how it can take many forms. Some that is good, some that is bad and some that can bring change in the world. Well, this guy in our class which you can tell is lazy to begin with, has enough balls to raise his hand during the discussion and tell us how he got in school.

He begins telling us he didn't have any money, he didn't have a job and his mom also didn't have any money. So he decided to get a job, stay with it long enough to draw unemployment and then did something to get laid off so he wouldn't have to work and go to school at the same time. He didn't say what he did. So now he receives financial aid and unemployment and has no intentions of finding a job until his unemployment runs out.

I was so close to opening my mouth and telling him what a big pos he was but I figured It would just get me in some heat which I don't need.
My wifes ex got fired and his unemployment was exactly the same as his pay after paying child support. So he has been not paying support for over a year.

Old 03-19-2010, 06:14 AM

41,479 posts, read 59,821,925 times
All systems can be scammed. These are just little people doing the scamming. They are no different form the plutocracy scamming the government out of billions to provide bonuses for the millionaire managers that created the mess except the unemployed are taking a lot less money.

Old 03-19-2010, 07:18 AM

42,554 posts, read 87,038,564 times
There are lots of different kinds of people in the world, and they aren't all rolling the same round rock up the hill that you are.

Scamming the system is a full-time job. It takes time, effort and work. That work is just as productive as being a telemarketer, and requires similar skills. Why do you think it is so evil and disgusting and reprehensible to scam the system, but praiseworthy and meritorious and virtuous to scam customers on behalf of a millionaire? At least the person described in the OP is not phoning me at supper time.

I used to work in media advertising. I know something about scamming.

Old 03-19-2010, 07:40 AM

8,292 posts, read 26,691,842 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtur88 View Post
There are lots of different kinds of people in the world, and they aren't all rolling the same round rock up the hill that you are.

Scamming the system is a full-time job. It takes time, effort and work. That work is just as productive as being a telemarketer, and requires similar skills. Why do you think it is so evil and disgusting and reprehensible to scam the system, but praiseworthy and meritorious and virtuous to scam customers on behalf of a millionaire? At least the person described in the OP is not phoning me at supper time.

I used to work in media advertising. I know something about scamming.
Geez... If you actually WORKED and PAID TAXES, instead of living off other people's taxes, you'd understand.

Old 03-19-2010, 08:06 AM

42,554 posts, read 87,038,564 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Omaha Rocks View Post
Geez... If you actually WORKED and PAID TAXES, instead of living off other people's taxes, you'd understand.
After 70 years of not working a day in my life and not paying a single penny in taxes, it's too late to start now.

Please, just once, see if you can contribute anything to a discussion. Cut and paste something written by somebody else, if you are completely incapable of coming up with anything on your own, but please, just once, see if you can express a thought that has any relevance to the topic. By the way, the rolleyes emoticon (the last resort of the cutesy moron) does not qualify as an expression of thoughtful opinion relevant to the topic. You are embarrassing all the rest of us, who think this is a serious debate forum.

And buy a new "Book of Insults". You're steady litany of the same old ones is getting tiresome.

Last edited by jtur88; 03-19-2010 at 08:20 AM..

Old 03-19-2010, 08:24 AM

749 posts, read 2,440,366 times
Sounds to me like he may be dabbling in the grey area of fraud, but not enough info. Hey, he doesn't make the rules , he's just playing by them. If he gets an education and goes on to get a good job he'll be paying his taxes.

Guys like him don't bother me near as much as the revolving door criminals who drain our system costing tax dollars for police to catch them, public defenders to defend them and 3 hots and a cot + medical care to house them.

Old 03-19-2010, 08:27 AM

44,259 posts, read 64,410,209 times
I like the part where people justify the existence of parasites like these by saying that 'in the end, everyone is just scamming everyone else, blah blah blah blah, millionaires, blah blah blah blah.'

It's a bunch of cr*p, and y'all know it.

Most successful people work hard to get where they are and they pay their taxes and play within the rules. Pointing out a couple of skeevy CEOs is both irrelevant to this discussion and not representative of the population.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates