Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-13-2010, 01:45 PM

64 posts, read 54,205 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by tablemtn View Post
The size of the 1980 federal budget was barely $600 billion.

The current size of the Pentagon is over $800 billion.

Not gonna happen.

Really, now. Let's say you are a fairly poor person in America working a job with no health insurance, and you find out you have cancer. And no way to pay for your treatments. Then you get turned down for public medical assistance because you "make too much."

You don't "have it good" by any means. In fact, you have it pretty bad. Perhaps what is worse is this sort of insecurity is quite common. It's a huge source of stress. Not to mention that many poor people in America live in areas where violence is prevalent, and where the murder rate is quite high. That's another detraction from people "having it good."

I think it's fair to say that being poor is not much fun at all, actually.
Lets see after adjust for inflation at 5% a year, we should have a spending level of about 2.5 trillion which is better than 3 or 4.
Well the government is spending 3 trillion - 4 trillion a year I see lots of conflicting numbers here and taking in 2 trillion in rev.
where to make cuts.
cut:

1. Social security, privatized. It is immoral to pass your retirement onto others who will have no hope of benefiting from the system. Yes it may be possible that this is immoral to kick seniors off of gov't social securty after they paid in it for all those years, but give them a discounted rate on what they paid in for. We all know social security is not sustainable as a gov't program so lets end it now and get it over with. Thats gone and privatized saved= 20% of budget. + no pay roll tax your income will go up by 18%roughly. Thats 800 billion in savings
2.Now welfare for big banks, you gambled money and lost you deserve to go broke, bye by etarp, savings 4% = 160 billion
3. Reduce military spending by 3%, this will require all parts of the army to cut their cost by a minimum 13%, sure it may be a sacrifice, but we now our war heroes don't join the army for money, they join the army because they love america and want to defend our freedom from terrorist, we cannot have freedom when china controlls our economy. Besides we will still outspend our closest rivals by billions. change strategy of invasion to just bombing countries flat like yugoslavia or anyone else if they get out of line. savings 120 billion as well scaling down of iraq war which is costing us 120 billion a year according to wiki, scale that down, and require iraq to give us free oil worth $20 billion a year in exchange for us liberating them. hey owe us (shifty eyes) he he he. Total savings =260 billion
4. End all earmarks = save 48 billion
5.As well when we end gov't social security we can then end the mandatory payment that go with it which are about 8% of the budget seperate from the previous category = 320 billion in savings.
6. end the 44 billion dollar war on drugs, I really don't care what people do with their bodies, but when you catch them breaking the law, like driving while high, put them in prison... forever. Ok not forever but don't let any druggie out for less than 25 years. Seriously if people in prison, the one place where you shouldn't have drugs and police have supreme authority, can get drugs it is retarded to think you can stop normal people on the street where you need a warrant to search their house or car for drugs.
7. cut out rich-fare, end welfare for all those rich people, like rich people who get federal insurance for building their houses besides beaches even though they know it is dangerous. Cut dis. spending in half =240 billion savings,

Total savings with 7 step plan = 1.872 trillion.

Ok so my numbers came out better than I had even planned, 4-1.872= 2.128 spending a year which is lower than regan inflation adjusted. By cutting out 46% of the budget we can then eliminate a great deal of taxes like most income taxes except on the top 1% who pay 30% someodd of the tax and socials security tax (19%). Meaning most american will efectively double their wage get way rich soo fast

Sure some parts of america have lots of violent crime but some parts have very little crime. As well realize that we only have more crime because we have more liberty. In countries like germany it is a crime punishable by 5 years in prison to deny the holocaust, in countries like canada white supremicist can loose their kids for teaching hate, the gov't has huge control over people and soon they will depend on us toliberate them. Those people don't even have the right to carry guns and have to rely on the police to save them if they are being murdered. Sure we could have 0 homicides if we locked everyone up in prison by themselves in a room but that would be no fun. Half the things you can do in america you cannot do in canada, in terms of speech. The have hate speech laws and all bogus phony laws on which to send you to prison for saying what you think.

The only good thing I can say is that canadians have less murders because they have low tolerance for it. If too many people are murdered it plays 24/7 on the news and the cops go out and arrest entire neighbourhoods often with little or no evidence and cases get thrown out in court. Mind you though it does have an effect on dissuading crime.

The worse part of european healthcare is that when you get sick you have no money, so if yuor government doe not fix you fast, your done for, you have no other option to go anywhere else but gov't healthcare unless you are rich, and the rich from europe come here.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-13-2010, 02:24 PM

116 posts, read 83,866 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nottigurl View Post
Lets see after adjust for inflation at 5% a year, we should have a spending level of about 2.5 trillion which is better than 3 or 4.
Well the government is spending 3 trillion - 4 trillion a year I see lots of conflicting numbers here and taking in 2 trillion in rev.
where to make cuts.
cut:

1. Social security, privatized. It is immoral to pass your retirement onto others who will have no hope of benefiting from the system. Yes it may be possible that this is immoral to kick seniors off of gov't social securty after they paid in it for all those years, but give them a discounted rate on what they paid in for. We all know social security is not sustainable as a gov't program so lets end it now and get it over with. Thats gone and privatized saved= 20% of budget. + no pay roll tax your income will go up by 18%roughly. Thats 800 billion in savings
2.Now welfare for big banks, you gambled money and lost you deserve to go broke, bye by etarp, savings 4% = 160 billion
3. Reduce military spending by 3%, this will require all parts of the army to cut their cost by a minimum 13%, sure it may be a sacrifice, but we now our war heroes don't join the army for money, they join the army because they love america and want to defend our freedom from terrorist, we cannot have freedom when china controlls our economy. Besides we will still outspend our closest rivals by billions. change strategy of invasion to just bombing countries flat like yugoslavia or anyone else if they get out of line. savings 120 billion as well scaling down of iraq war which is costing us 120 billion a year according to wiki, scale that down, and require iraq to give us free oil worth $20 billion a year in exchange for us liberating them. hey owe us (shifty eyes) he he he. Total savings =260 billion
4. End all earmarks = save 48 billion
5.As well when we end gov't social security we can then end the mandatory payment that go with it which are about 8% of the budget seperate from the previous category = 320 billion in savings.
6. end the 44 billion dollar war on drugs, I really don't care what people do with their bodies, but when you catch them breaking the law, like driving while high, put them in prison... forever. Ok not forever but don't let any druggie out for less than 25 years. Seriously if people in prison, the one place where you shouldn't have drugs and police have supreme authority, can get drugs it is retarded to think you can stop normal people on the street where you need a warrant to search their house or car for drugs.
7. cut out rich-fare, end welfare for all those rich people, like rich people who get federal insurance for building their houses besides beaches even though they know it is dangerous. Cut dis. spending in half =240 billion savings,

Total savings with 7 step plan = 1.872 trillion.

Ok so my numbers came out better than I had even planned, 4-1.872= 2.128 spending a year which is lower than regan inflation adjusted. By cutting out 46% of the budget we can then eliminate a great deal of taxes like most income taxes except on the top 1% who pay 30% someodd of the tax and socials security tax (19%). Meaning most american will efectively double their wage get way rich soo fast

Sure some parts of america have lots of violent crime but some parts have very little crime. As well realize that we only have more crime because we have more liberty. In countries like germany it is a crime punishable by 5 years in prison to deny the holocaust, in countries like canada white supremicist can loose their kids for teaching hate, the gov't has huge control over people and soon they will depend on us toliberate them. Those people don't even have the right to carry guns and have to rely on the police to save them if they are being murdered. Sure we could have 0 homicides if we locked everyone up in prison by themselves in a room but that would be no fun. Half the things you can do in america you cannot do in canada, in terms of speech. The have hate speech laws and all bogus phony laws on which to send you to prison for saying what you think.

The only good thing I can say is that canadians have less murders because they have low tolerance for it. If too many people are murdered it plays 24/7 on the news and the cops go out and arrest entire neighbourhoods often with little or no evidence and cases get thrown out in court. Mind you though it does have an effect on dissuading crime.

The worse part of european healthcare is that when you get sick you have no money, so if yuor government doe not fix you fast, your done for, you have no other option to go anywhere else but gov't healthcare unless you are rich, and the rich from europe come here.
The nonsense that you continue to babble about European healthcare (and other issues) is hilarious. I'd love to see you have that debate with someone from one of those countries, rather than with others (like you) who have clearly never been anywhere in Europe.

Where are you getting your facts from? If it's from a book you purchased, I'd seriously consider taking that book back and getting a refund.

Old 12-10-2012, 06:36 AM

1 posts, read 719 times
How about everybody shutup. There are people who abuse the welfare system and they need to be stopped. The ones who don't don't end of story.

Old 12-10-2012, 07:18 AM

5,652 posts, read 19,348,680 times
"I know of THREE families all on welfare, & all living in the same house. NONE of them work! " Yes, we lived next to a loser who claimed disability, I know for a fact that it was b.s. That and she and her family were dealing drugs. So yeah, they had plenty of "income".

BUT in our same state, they are very close to pulling benefits for medically fragile children who really DO NEED the benefits. Steams me to no end...

Old 12-10-2012, 07:49 AM

86,052 posts, read 84,464,288 times
I just read this morning that since 2008 the SNAP rolls have doubled.
In just 4 years we've doubled the number of people on food stamps.

What happened ? Well it's not just the bad economy. The government went on a big advertising blitz to educate and inform and get people enrolled. The government also gave states bonus money for signing up more people.
And the question came up as to why the government is not using e-verify on all these applicants.

The Farm Bill is 80% food stamp money now. Should be rename the Food Stamp Bill IMHO.

I read that and just shook my head. Encouraging people to become dependent usually leads to complacency and prolonged dependency. Anyone who is a parent can understand that last statement.

http://dailycaller.com/2012/12/09/fo...-participants/
http://dailycaller.com/2012/06/08/se...d-stamp-rolls/

Old 12-10-2012, 09:38 AM

6,459 posts, read 12,026,221 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
I just read this morning that since 2008 the SNAP rolls have doubled.
In just 4 years we've doubled the number of people on food stamps.

What happened ? Well it's not just the bad economy. The government went on a big advertising blitz to educate and inform and get people enrolled. The government also gave states bonus money for signing up more people.
And the question came up as to why the government is not using e-verify on all these applicants.

The Farm Bill is 80% food stamp money now. Should be rename the Food Stamp Bill IMHO.

I read that and just shook my head. Encouraging people to become dependent usually leads to complacency and prolonged dependency. Anyone who is a parent can understand that last statement.

Food stamp use reaches another high in September: 47.7 million participants | The Daily Caller
Senate Republicans: Policy, not necessity, drives ballooning food stamp rolls | The Daily Caller
What is wrong with you miserable people??

You guys are acting like ANYONE can get foodstamps and that is simply not true. It's not like foodstamps are a lot of money. A single person in NYC with no kids or INCOME only gets $200. As soon as that person gets a minimum wage job, it will get lowered to something stupid like maybe $50.

WTF is WRONG with people having enough to EAT???

Miserable, miserable, miserable people, I swear.

And Big George don't you DARE answer my post!

Old 12-10-2012, 10:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by marilyn220 View Post
What is wrong with you miserable people??

You guys are acting like ANYONE can get foodstamps and that is simply not true. It's not like foodstamps are a lot of money. A single person in NYC with no kids or INCOME only gets $200. As soon as that person gets a minimum wage job, it will get lowered to something stupid like maybe $50.

WTF is WRONG with people having enough to EAT???

Miserable, miserable, miserable people, I swear.

And Big George don't you DARE answer my post!
FYI..you cannot get food stamps without a job. You must have a job to get food stamps.
Maybe you should read up on some of these programs.

Old 12-10-2012, 11:32 AM

6,459 posts, read 12,026,221 times
Quote:
FYI..you cannot get food stamps without a job. You must have a job to get food stamps.
That's NOT true!

Maybe in YOUR state you can't, but people in NYC get it WITHOUT JOBS all the time.

This I know for a FACT.

Old 12-10-2012, 05:36 PM

2,325 posts, read 2,651,508 times
Quote:
I personally know people with no job who get food stamps.

Old 12-10-2012, 05:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by marilyn220 View Post
That's NOT true!

Maybe in YOUR state you can't, but people in NYC get it WITHOUT JOBS all the time.

This I know for a FACT.
Then accept my apologies. Here in Texas you must have a job. 20 hours or be in job training.
That was the Federal requirement.

The 2009 stimulus bill allowed states to lift the work requirement for food stamp eligibility.
They gave states 2 years worth of money for going with the suspension.
It was 20 hours a week or be in job training.
The article I read said most states took the money and suspended the work requirement.
That was for 2010-2011.

Sorry for that. I was not aware that the stimulus bill changed the eligibility requirements for food stamps.

Study: Number of 'able-bodied' adults on food stamps doubled after stimulus change | Fox News
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates