Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-12-2010, 12:04 PM

3,562 posts, read 5,225,158 times

Advertisements

I was thinking originally about those kids that are in foster care. They usually don't have Wii, at least not one they can lock themselves up in a room and play. They usually have a darn good reason to be depressed.

Too, there are kids who have awesome systems because they live in a gang infested area and it is safer to play inside. The objective is to keep them off the streets. Other ones, you could have the best system and could not get them off the streets. it really depends on where the kids live and what they have on their plates.

I think that a good portion of the problem is that adults don't take kids too seriously. Usually, there is something more going on. I also think that we forget that the body is changing and they all of a sudden want to sleep during the day and are awake at night and they perceive things quite differently. You could say something to them and they will take in a completely different way. Some adults flip and think that there is something seriously wrong that only medication can fix. They want placements and pills.

I think that your either a gamer or your not. Some people play when they are kids and then leave it behind when they are adults and assume more responsibility. They may pick it back up later. Many people just keep right on playing. I think that many people just have not accepted that gaming is here to stay.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-12-2010, 12:57 PM

8,292 posts, read 26,671,830 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pandamonium View Post
I was thinking originally about those kids that are in foster care. They usually don't have Wii, at least not one they can lock themselves up in a room and play. They usually have a darn good reason to be depressed.

Too, there are kids who have awesome systems because they live in a gang infested area and it is safer to play inside. The objective is to keep them off the streets. Other ones, you could have the best system and could not get them off the streets. it really depends on where the kids live and what they have on their plates.

I think that a good portion of the problem is that adults don't take kids too seriously. Usually, there is something more going on. I also think that we forget that the body is changing and they all of a sudden want to sleep during the day and are awake at night and they perceive things quite differently. You could say something to them and they will take in a completely different way. Some adults flip and think that there is something seriously wrong that only medication can fix. They want placements and pills.

I think that your either a gamer or your not. Some people play when they are kids and then leave it behind when they are adults and assume more responsibility. They may pick it back up later. Many people just keep right on playing. I think that many people just have not accepted that gaming is here to stay.
Yeah, you're right.

I wasn't thinking so much of the Wii as just the fact that there's less freedom and outdoor physical exercise happening with today's kids. I was thinking more along the lines of the indoor sedentary lifestyle - complete with processed and fast food - versus the more physically active childhood.

I grew up on a dairy farm, so there was always work to do outside. And admittedly, that's its own lifestyle. But my wife grew up in a city, in the 60s & 70s, and she talks about heading out to play with all the neighbor kids. They'd come home for dinner, then head out to play outdoors all afternoon. Basically, they had to be home for supper. After supper they might or might not head back outside.

When you look at our old black & white elementary school pictures, from the 50s & 60s, you really don't see many (if any) fat kids in the pictures. In today's school pictures, almost all the kids are fat.

I'm thinking that this HAS to play a part in people's mental health.

Old 01-13-2010, 12:10 AM

23,218 posts, read 29,034,905 times
I was once prescribed anti-depression medication in my late teen's. I didn't like the feeling at all, and stopped taking them.

When someone commented that I scared them with my dark, depressive moods, I found a way to lift my depression: scare people, observe their reactions to me, and before long, I was no longer so depressed and a smile would come to my face.

Hey! If I'm miserable, then drag everyone I can down with me.

Now, if you have a public image job, this advice is useless.

Old 01-13-2010, 12:46 AM

8,292 posts, read 26,671,830 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tijlover View Post
I was once prescribed anti-depression medication in my late teen's. I didn't like the feeling at all, and stopped taking them.

When someone commented that I scared them with my dark, depressive moods, I found a way to lift my depression: scare people, observe their reactions to me, and before long, I was no longer so depressed and a smile would come to my face.

Hey! If I'm miserable, then drag everyone I can down with me.

Now, if you have a public image job, this advice is useless.
Be careful how far you push that - and who you do it to.

Old 01-13-2010, 08:30 AM

3,562 posts, read 5,225,158 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Omaha Rocks View Post
Yeah, you're right.

I wasn't thinking so much of the Wii as just the fact that there's less freedom and outdoor physical exercise happening with today's kids. I was thinking more along the lines of the indoor sedentary lifestyle - complete with processed and fast food - versus the more physically active childhood.

I grew up on a dairy farm, so there was always work to do outside. And admittedly, that's its own lifestyle. But my wife grew up in a city, in the 60s & 70s, and she talks about heading out to play with all the neighbor kids. They'd come home for dinner, then head out to play outdoors all afternoon. Basically, they had to be home for supper. After supper they might or might not head back outside.

When you look at our old black & white elementary school pictures, from the 50s & 60s, you really don't see many (if any) fat kids in the pictures. In today's school pictures, almost all the kids are fat.

I agree and I suspect that it is going to get much worse. In large part due to the economy and I think that we currently live in a society that does not promote balance. We talk about it but we don't have it or aim for it. And for as much crap that is said about Americans, I think the vast majority are over extended mentally and physically depending on what you do. That in turn flips over to the kids.

Schools have become more demanding. I know that my kid does not get home until 4PM, so that is homework, dinner, shower and bed. Recess is 15 minutes. That is elementary school.

Old 01-13-2010, 08:00 PM

1,688 posts, read 4,298,815 times
There was a recent study done with your very question in mind. There were x amount of people whom scored medium to severe for depression for the study. Half took the real antideressant and the other half took placebos. It was found by the study that the whole group of people had the same results regardless of real vs placebo. I myself have been prescribed an antidepressant by my PCP and after 3 weeks threw the pills away. The pills had a negative effect on me. I believe that all mental health drugs such as antidepressants and antipsychotics should only be prescribed by a psychiatrist. These are not vitamins and serious consideration should be taken before taking pills for any mental health condition such as depression. It is far to easy to get these meds from a regular doctor whom does not involve you in counseling to get at what is causing the condition. Depression has become a very arbitrary diagnosis which is extremely dangerous. Everyone gets the blues (it comes in cycles) and I Congragulate you for being able to throw the pills.
P.S. In certain situations treatment without the antidepressants would not be successful.
Salute to you.

Old 01-14-2010, 09:25 AM

2,497 posts, read 7,476,584 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tyvin View Post
There was a recent study done with your very question in mind. There were x amount of people whom scored medium to severe for depression for the study. Half took the real antideressant and the other half took placebos. It was found by the study that the whole group of people had the same results regardless of real vs placebo. I myself have been prescribed an antidepressant by my PCP and after 3 weeks threw the pills away. The pills had a negative effect on me. I believe that all mental health drugs such as antidepressants and antipsychotics should only be prescribed by a psychiatrist. These are not vitamins and serious consideration should be taken before taking pills for any mental health condition such as depression. It is far to easy to get these meds from a regular doctor whom does not involve you in counseling to get at what is causing the condition. Depression has become a very arbitrary diagnosis which is extremely dangerous. Everyone gets the blues (it comes in cycles) and I Congragulate you for being able to throw the pills.
P.S. In certain situations treatment without the antidepressants would not be successful.
Salute to you.
Thanks

4 years now and feelin fine.

Old 01-14-2010, 10:12 AM

267 posts, read 1,361,021 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Omaha Rocks View Post
Yeah, you're right.

I agree too !! But there are other factors to consider.

Earlier this was said "I think that a good portion of the problem is that adults don't take kids too seriously" actually I would go further and say that many parents today would rather be their child's "best friend" first then be a parent. Same can be said about the schools too. For example why are many school districts making such a big deal about banning soda pop in their schools by claiming they are making kids fat BUT they won't dare do the same with those energy drinks? Could it because the kids like them too much and the schools don't want to hurt their feelings?

Then you have parents who are way way overprotective such as my sister who will NOT allow her kids outside of her home other than school because "...there are way too many perverts in the world". Plus you have other parents such as singer Madonna who pretty much wont allow her kids to do..well anything even playing with other kids and many parents actually don't see nothing wrong with it either. I can see parents control what TV shows/radio stations/music/movies/websites their kids have access too..but to totally not allow their kids any access to any of them...to me that is a bit much. Plus being in the age of lawsuits doesn't help such as that parent I remember reading some years back where he had sued a school district because he felt it "wasn't right" for his kids to get dressed and shower at school for gym class.

So yes..all of this CAN and DO play a role in one's mental health.

Old 01-15-2010, 09:24 PM

14,539 posts, read 21,254,017 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
But this doctor was doing NO analysis if he was only seeing her for ten minutes. He was just prescribing drugs and asking a few questions for his notes.

For cases of mental illness such as depression or anxiety-related disorders, the norm is to see the pdoc for the meds and a non-MD psychotherapist for talk therapy.

This type of "treatment" where they are only going halfway is the problem.
This is the essense of the problem. Before I moved I lived in an area where my family and life fell apart. I am bipolar but in a place where every place I went was full of good/bad/sad memories I was being shunted from mood to mood frequently because there was so much to remember.

I did see a therapist, but she left. Then there was another but I got sick and by the time I could see this one they'd left. I found far more help in the local DBSA chapter, which is an excellent support organization especially for those who like a social sense too. The county was getting less and less money for services, kept closing and combining clinics and while I was supposed to see the dr every two months, the office staff usually made that every three months since I "had refills". The appointments were usually no longer than fifteen minutes or less.

Since I seemed to be having problems with lots of cycling, the dosage was raised. I was sleeping four hours a night most nights.

Then I moved. I still haven't been to the system here but without all the reminders, and some peace of mind, I feel far better. I still cycle a little but have been off meds for quite awhile. I am not adverse to them but ONLY with my personal supervision as well.

We treat diseases, including brain function diseases, with the magic pill. Sometimes it helps and sometimes the side effects are too much so we add an new pill for that. What we don't want to pay for is therapy, support, and personal attention.

In a year I might have actually seen the doctor for a whole hour. Since they know they don't have time to really treat they pacify. Doctors tend to disregard side effects and tell patients you have to tough it out. The chief reasons people go off meds are side effects which become a greater problem than the problem.

Until we really pay attention to mental disorders, and really want to deal with the root of them we'll rely on the instand magic pill. Of course, most patients would love to have a magic pill too. And anyone on psych meds needs someone trusted to watch. If things get bad the patient themselves may not really see it.

We as a people want the easy way out but sometimes there isn't one. We over perscribe pills because its easy and people want it and for those who don't its hard to find alternatives because the money is where its quick and easy.

In medical illnesses we have to be our own advocates, and this applies to those effecting brain function too. Doctors frequently do not like this and label patients "uncooperative" but there is a LOT of information out there on the web and we should pay attention to it. Every drug has an FDA paper on it and we really should take the time to find and read them. And research the experiences of other patients as well. The sites where drug companies make money will not tell you much of the negative.

Each person is different and we try to impose a quick and dried rule because its cheap and quick and when it doesn't work we end up failing everyone.

Old 01-15-2010, 10:13 PM

2,709 posts, read 6,314,495 times
What I'll offer up here is my own perspective, based on my personal history. I don't expect or need others to agree with me. I'm not trying to be callous, if it comes across that way. I'm just stating my opinion. I tend to be rather no-nonsense about my depression. That's what works for me.

I have a 25+ year history of recurrent severe major depression and PTSD going back to childhood. I've been acutely suicidal three times, was hospitalized once. I've had numerous pyschiatrists (MDs) and psychologists (PhDs) and therapists and counselors and regular general practitioners. I've been on paxil, prozac, zoloft, wellbutrin, and celexa. Also concerta, which is an ADD drug. (I don't have ADD, but what I do have when I'm depressed is some rather profound memory loss and an inability to focus. Hence the Concerta.)

I'm in "remission" (as I put it) from my depression and have been off my medications for 6 years. I'm very happy about that. I don't ever want to go on them -- or any other long-term medications -- ever again.

I think antidepressants can be a powerful tool, but I think, first of all, that they should be prescribed by a psychiatrist -- not your general doctor or family practitioner or internist. The way I look at it, going to your general doctor for an antidepressant is a bit like going to a gynecologist for a prostate exam. It makes no sense at all. I also think that if people take antidepressants, they should be in therapy. I think they go hand-in-hand.

I know people like to trot out the old "it's a chemical imbalance" theory. Okay. Fine. I personally don't believe that that's the case for the vast majority of people who are suffering from a garden-variety depression, even a severe depression. (For things like bipolar and schizophrenia...yeah, maybe. For "normal" depression....not really.) I wanted to believe that theory when I was younger, because it served my purpose to continue thinking of myself as a victim. (And in my experience, based on the hundreds of hours I have spent in group therapy through the years, depressives tend to think of themselves as worthless, inept victims.) Having a "chemical imbalance" provided a nice scapegoat for my inability to cope with the difficulties in my life.

But I took the pills and they never cured me. Paxil never cured my so-called chemical imbalance. Neither did Zoloft. Or Prozac. Or Wellbutrin. What they did do -- SOMETIMES, and not in every case with each drug, and not always for long -- was lessen the worst of the depressive symptoms and side-effects enough that I was able to maintain some level of a functional existence and do good problem-solving work with a therapist. They helped MASK the worst of what I was thinking and feeling, but they didn't make any of it go away. They didn't solve anything by themselves. And sometimes they brought new side effects, especially sleep-disturbances, but also things like heart arrhythmias, muscle tics, loss of libido, etc.

Which brings me to my belief about depression: that it's mostly due to emotional immaturity. Oh, that'll make people mad. People hear the word "immaturity" and get very defensive. But why? We didn't spring full-grown from Zeus' head knowing everything we need to know to cope with life's challenges and hardships and unfairnesses and setbacks. Someone has to TEACH us those things. And usually those someones are your parents. But if your parents don't teach you what you need to know -- perhaps because they themselves aren't masters of the tasks in their own lives -- or if they are the PROBLEM, like mine were -- alcoholism, abuse, instability, misogyny, passive-aggressiveness, blah-blah -- then they're probably not TEACHING you the things you need to know. Hence the emotional immaturity.

Recovery for me from depression didn't come because of a drug. It came because I'd finally peeled back enough of the layers and confronted enough truth that I was able to shift my paradigm and put myself back together again. What the drugs did do, particulary the cocktail of celexa and concerta I was taking at the end, was provide some mental clarity and energy so that I could discover insights and problem-solve and see myself in a different way. So that I could be guided and coached by a great therapist to learn the things I needed to learn to gain emotional maturity. (Or at least more of it than I had before. I'm still a work in progress.)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates