Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-04-2009, 12:42 PM

9,091 posts, read 19,228,371 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jackmccullough View Post
Whether the engagement ring must be returned is actually a legal question. Some states consider it an unconditional gift, some states consider it conditional on the recipient going through with the marriage, and even some of those states consider who is at fault in deciding what should happen to the ring.

If you are in this situation you should figure out what the law is in your state.
this is right on - some jurisdictions would have it as a gift upon condition (the condition of marriage)

once married though for most guys getting the ring back would be the least of their concerns going through a divorce proceeding ... the focus is usually not what can I get, but what can I avoid losing
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-04-2009, 01:04 PM

737 posts, read 1,649,375 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Starlady01 View Post
I agree under normal circumstances.
However under my circumstances I don't agree. I would of never worn it again true. I don't care that man was being rude. Insulting if you ask me.

Why would a man beg you to marry him then give you money to get a ring not picking it out himself. Then insult you with the ring?

Unless he was listening to gossip/lies from someone else whom wanted you insulted.

Anybody else would of let it go for awhile and then just be friends then move on but he was insistent why, I say gossip/lies.

Old 12-04-2009, 01:14 PM

5,906 posts, read 5,738,565 times
Quote:
Why would a man beg you to marry him then give you money to get a ring not picking it out himself. Then insult you with the ring?

Unless he was listening to gossip/lies from someone else whom wanted you insulted.

Anybody else would of let it go for awhile and then just be friends then move on but he was insistent why, I say gossip/lies.
Well, this post makes it quite clear that this thread is misplaced and belongs in the Relationships forum.

Quoting your own post, ignoring statements from a legal/logical standpoint, and continuing a defensive, immature tirade illustrate how your intention of this thread was insincere for the purposes of DEBATE.

Old 12-04-2009, 01:27 PM

The man offers to pay for my grandmother funeral to which I said no it was already taken care of. He had the money to pay for a funeral but not a simple ring. He lied then insulted me. Even with me saying no no no he kept right on bugging me and bugging me.

I never once asked the ring back that I bought by the way which was cheaper I have to agree. I spend every penny I had in the bank left for his ring. I was sitting on broke and he didn't offer and I didn't ask. I bought his ring out of my own budget to which I never got back and never once regretted not asking for it back.

I could careless what should happen to him to be honest with ya.

Last edited by Starlady01; 12-04-2009 at 01:41 PM..

Old 12-04-2009, 01:32 PM

Quote:
The man offers to pay for my grandmother funeral to which I said no it was already taken care of. He had the money to pay for a funeral but not a simple ring. He lied then insulted me. Even with me saying no no no he kept right on bugging me and bugging me.

I never once asked for my ring back by the way which was cheaper I have to agree. I spend every penny I had in the bank left for his ring. I was sitting on broke and he didn't offer and I didn't ask.

Quote:
Should a person give a ring back if an engagement or a wedding doesn't happen or a divorce happens?
You posed the question.

People have responded.

I'm assuming you are upset that the responses aren't sympathetic to YOU and don't justify YOUR actions.

Again, this is very telling that you are not interested in a DEBATE. You want justification.

Very different things.

Old 12-04-2009, 01:33 PM

3,562 posts, read 5,228,739 times
You and leavingGA. Amazing. Same MO.

Old 12-04-2009, 01:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rayneinspain View Post
Well, this post makes it quite clear that this thread is misplaced and belongs in the Relationships forum.

Quoting your own post, ignoring statements from a legal/logical standpoint, and continuing a defensive, immature tirade illustrate how your intention of this thread was insincere for the purposes of DEBATE.
No it belongs here.

Old 12-04-2009, 02:26 PM

11,027 posts, read 6,510,294 times
This thread isn't a debate. It's a trainwreck.

Old 12-04-2009, 02:57 PM

No it's a legit question.

Now if I had ask for that ring back what do you think he would said or done. He would of tried to dish me once again. right

Besides I got more satisfaction out of letting him keep it in the long run.

He wanted the ring he got it. I never asked nor was it offered.

Old 12-04-2009, 03:01 PM

Quote:
No it's a legit question.

Now if I had ask for that ring back what do you think he would said or done. He would of tried to dish me once again. right

Besides I got more satisfaction out of letting him keep it in the long run.

He wanted the ring he got it. I never asked nor was it offered.
When your posts continue to bring the subject back to your personal situation, rather than the original question (which was of a general nature), then your intent was not, in fact, to debate an issue.

This is utterly pathetic.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates