Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-29-2009, 03:30 PM

10,494 posts, read 27,260,216 times

Advertisements

I used to say that cigarettes should be banned in all public places, but now I say they should be banned completely. I was watching a show called "The Dr's" today, and they were talking about "third hand smoke." I never heard of this term before today. It seems that even people that smoke outside, and away from us are making all of us sick. Here are some links on this....

http://www.nytimes.com/2009/01/03/he...h/03smoke.html

Is Third-Hand Smoke A Hazard? : NPR

'3rd-hand smoke' poses risk to infants, doctors say

I say enough is enough already. I remember having friends who were so addicted to cigarettes, they would literally beg to smoke in my car like they would die if they did not have one. I remember going to nightclubs and bars and coming home smelling like smoke and being sick from it. I remember my eyes burning. Sorry for the ranting and all, but what are everyone else's opinion on this issue?

Old 07-29-2009, 03:31 PM

6,034 posts, read 10,689,303 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by las vegas drunk View Post
I used to say that cigarettes should be banned in all public places, but now I say they should be banned completely.

Sorry for the ranting and all, but what are everyone else's opinion on this issue?
No. Unless of course you're ready for every other harmful thing in the world to be banned too.

Old 07-29-2009, 03:41 PM

25,810 posts, read 18,857,526 times
Ban automobiles. They throw more poison into the air that a smoker could ever contribute.

Old 07-29-2009, 03:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisC View Post
Ban automobiles. They throw more poison into the air that a smoker could ever contribute.
Automobiles serve a useful purpose, while cigarettes pose absolutely none.

Old 07-29-2009, 03:50 PM

24,868 posts, read 24,408,005 times
HELL NO!!!

If i choose to smoke anything in my home, car, or a private location, its none of your business what it is.

There are many studies that fast food has more harmful side effects then second hand smoking. The "Third hand" smoking thing I just don't buy. Thats like saying I farted at my house, and now you're going to get cancer at work because of it.

LESS government intervention. I will say that if we are going to have a national healthcare plan, then if you smoke you can't be on the national plan. I pay for my own insurance, I support my own habits, and I take great pains to make sure it doesn't effect anyone else, so don't tell me what I can and can not do with my body. I'll start growing my own Tobacco plants next to my other plants. That way I can roll my own cigars to. (I gave cigarettes up years ago, to expensive, and not enough kick).

Old 07-29-2009, 03:51 PM

751 posts, read 2,482,202 times
I say ban them once and for all. They do nothing good but do cause health problems for the smoker and everyone around them. If we just ban cigarette production, everyone will go through withdrawal and be done, because there would not be any more cigarettes to buy.

But I would also like for the week they shut down the plants and destroyed all the cigarettes for it to be ok for smokers to take a week off work so they can take their withdrawal out on someone else!

Old 07-29-2009, 03:52 PM

25,810 posts, read 18,857,526 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by las vegas drunk View Post
Automobiles serve a useful purpose, while cigarettes pose absolutely none.
But which is more deadly to the general public: second hand smoke or auto exhaust?

So in essence, the poison is justified if it's useful? How about the person who does not drive? Aren't we forcing him/her to endure our 'habit'? Isn't it to his/her health detriment?

Anyone who is whining about third hand smoke being deadly is really not concerned about anything other than denying others the right to do as they wish (to their benefit or detriment). The food you cook puts more pathogens into your air than you neighbor smoking.

Old 07-29-2009, 04:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisC View Post
But which is more deadly to the general public: second hand smoke or auto exhaust?

So in essence, the poison is justified if it's useful? How about the person who does not drive? Aren't we forcing him/her to endure our 'habit'? Isn't it to his/her health detriment?

Anyone who is whining about third hand smoke being deadly is really not concerned about anything other than denying others the right to do as they wish (to their benefit or detriment). The food you cook puts more pathogens into your air than you neighbor smoking.
Which is more deadly? I do not know the answer on that. What I do know is this. If someone does not drive, they still need transportation which would be the city bus, subway or light rail which all produce emissions. They also need to eat, and get commercial products which all have ties to some sort of vehicle making emissions. As I said earlier, cigarettes have no useful purpose. I had many friends who were smokers, and they hated it themselves. They tried many times, but they just could not quit. But, because of their actions, I became a smoker myself. By saying that, I mean a second hand smoker, I took one puff of a cigarette in my whole lifetime, and it was the last.

Old 07-29-2009, 04:10 PM

24,868 posts, read 24,408,005 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1phwalls View Post
I say ban them once and for all. They do nothing good but do cause health problems for the smoker and everyone around them. If we just ban cigarette production, everyone will go through withdrawal and be done, because there would not be any more cigarettes to buy.

But I would also like for the week they shut down the plants and destroyed all the cigarettes for it to be ok for smokers to take a week off work so they can take their withdrawal out on someone else!
It takes a hell of a lot longer than a week. I quit cold turkey 6 years ago, and I still get withdrawls periodically.

If you make cigarettes illegal, it'll just make another black market, do you really want that. If history has proven anything, you can't stop people from doing drugs they want, tobacco would be no exception.

Old 07-29-2009, 04:12 PM

41,813 posts, read 51,092,930 times
You'll have millions of smokers addicted to a drug that has been compared to heroin that they will no longer be able to purchase legally. We all know what these heroin addicts will do to get their fix. You'll create an enormous black market and the cost of the cigarettes will sky rocket. Increased crime, increased cost for law enforcement, increased costs for courts, increased costs for jail, increased costs for.... Sounds like a plan to me.

Quote:
I remember going to nightclubs and bars and coming home smelling like smoke and being sick from it. I remember my eyes burning.
If it was such an issue why did you go in the club in the first place or better yet make an adult decision to go to a non smoking establishment?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.