Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-26-2009, 01:12 PM

42,554 posts, read 86,968,624 times

Advertisements

Is it important for you to die at peace with yourself? Do you expect to? What remains to be done in order for you to do so? Is there anything you wish you could undo? If you had one year to live, would reaching that peace be a high priority?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-26-2009, 02:05 PM

25,100 posts, read 39,258,323 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtur88 View Post
Is it important for you to die at peace with yourself? Do you expect to? What remains to be done in order for you to do so? Is there anything you wish you could undo? If you had one year to live, would reaching that peace be a high priority?
Yes - If I died today, I would die in peace - no question about it

Old 07-26-2009, 02:28 PM

18,950 posts, read 11,592,650 times
Quote:
It's important to me to be productive, engaged, and kind. On balance, I hope, at the end of my life, that I will have been all three of those things - mostly - not always, though. I expect to have regrets and that not everything will have been said when my loved ones or I die. I'm "at peace" with that concept - of having regrets and unfinished business when I die.

If you mean "at peace" as in - no regrets or unfinished business, then my answer is that it's not especially important to me to die at peace with myself (as I think you might mean it).

And, in that case, I wouldn't expect to die at peace with myself.

And, in that case, I'd have to be a very different kind of person than I am now to feel that I was at peace when i died.

There are things I wish I had done differently and I expect to do more things that I'll later wish I had handled differently.

If I had only a year to live, reaching that peace would not be a high priority.

Old 07-26-2009, 04:00 PM

1,780 posts, read 2,352,828 times
Quote:
Not sure how this qualifies as a great debate, but yes If I died today I would go in peace. I do not fear death, I challenge it everyday, I scream to death to take me if it can. I have lived such a fulfilling life and hope that more people can live just as fulfilling of a life.

What people need to realize is that life is not too short. Life is the longest thing you will experience, so dont waste it. Think about it, the only thing you will do longer than live...is death, or so we think.

Old 07-26-2009, 05:22 PM

24,868 posts, read 24,386,012 times
I'm hoping that doesn't happen for a long long time, but yes, I will die at peace.

Old 07-27-2009, 02:49 AM

14,044 posts, read 27,216,682 times
Not a problem for me at all, I'll die in peace.

To me it was living a responsible life, and taking care of things that matter. Setting appropriate priorities and executing reasonable solutions with perseverance was important for me.

Hopefully I'll have a few more years though, but...

Old 07-27-2009, 02:56 AM

9,912 posts, read 13,901,367 times
I have absolutely no idea.

No idea when I'll die, or how, OR what the circumstances will be leading up to my death. Given I can't know and don't know any of those factors I have no way of knowing if I'll be at peace with myself or not.

If I only had one year to live I suspect that I would die with resignation but peace, probably not so much.

Old 07-27-2009, 04:25 AM

2,175 posts, read 9,170,124 times
I think everyone has done things at some time or other they would like to take back or change. We are all human and we all have made mistakes.
I think you have to look at the overall picture see how the scale is tipped.
I hope mine is balanced toward the good side.
I have never intentionaly hurt anyone. I have not tried to cause anyone any grief or do harm to those I didn't like.
I haven't been a thief, rapist, murderer, or preyed on the innocent.
I raised and supported my family and home and worked hard.
I've made friends and tried to help those in need as much as I could.
If I die tomorrow do I have any regret or guilt? Of course I do. I know there are some things I might have handled better or been more compassionate about.
But I will still feel at peace. I know I did the best I could and cared about others and tried be to a good person.
I'm not perfect and don't claim to be but I tried to do what was right. I hope my balance sheet comes out on the plus side. I've tried to make it that way.
I want to be remembered as a good person who cares about others and is respected. I don't want anyone to be able say that I was a person that they couldn't trust or count on to be there if they needed help.
It ain't about self. It's about doing what is right even if it isn't in your best selfish interests.
My most rewarding days were the ones when I did something good for someone. That brings a peacefull feeling.
I can leave this life knowing that I helped some people.
For me, that is a good feeling.

Old 07-27-2009, 04:44 AM

5,232 posts, read 8,414,674 times
Quote:

I'm at peace with myself now. Course theres things I'd undo if I could but the past is the past. I try every day in everything be the best person I can & that knowledge is all I need. If I croaked today I'd die a happy satisfied man.

Old 07-27-2009, 06:51 AM

7,357 posts, read 11,760,432 times
And if I croaked today I'd be a satisfied woman.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates