Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-11-2009, 08:44 PM

2,601 posts, read 8,525,677 times

Advertisements

Who is a threat to the sanctity of marriage? Are the gays who if they get domestic equal rights are going to convince married people to "switch sides"?

Do politicians like Ensign, Craig and Sanford make a joke of marriage when they campaign on these issues and then are caught being sleazeballs? Dems are almost as bad but they don't moralize about it and they quickly resign and hide under a rock (McGreavy and Spitzer etc).

If 60% of the current generation get divorce and many more live in cheating or abusive marriages is it ok that marriage works for a small minority?

I've done some marriage counseling and many divorces for 30 years ( yeah have dual degrees) and really got into it for curiousity. What I see isn't so nice because many of the worst marriages are people who can fool everyone by holding hands in public etc

What about "alternative lifestyles" ? The mainsteam media gives little attention to them but they seem to divorce less. Take a look at Craigslist -casual encounters and you see them everywhere. On some sites such as Adultfriendfinder you find 8 million members but its just not discussed openly.

Any ideas on this broad topic?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-11-2009, 08:51 PM

481 posts, read 944,193 times
No one other then my husband or I can be a threat to the sanctity of our marriage.

Old 07-11-2009, 08:54 PM

9,912 posts, read 13,907,347 times
If people want to get married that is entirely their business AND it should be possible regardless of sexual orientation.

As far as I can tell the "sanctity" of marriage is a myth anyway.

Old 07-11-2009, 08:54 PM

458 posts, read 1,356,331 times
I think everyone is a threat to marriage. It does not make a difference if you are gay, straight or bi. I believe it is the individual, if you are a straight married couple you can and will end in divorce. Same as gay couples.

I am sorry but I still am shocked that a question like this is even asked in todays time. To me what you are or what your sexual preference is makes no difference. People are people. Whether you are a man and woman married or two men married or two women married, it makes no difference. If the relationship is not working it will end in divorce, regardless of the sexual preference.

To me marriage means two people who are in love and make a commitment to each other. It has no bearing if it is to the same sex or opposite sex. Love is Love.

Old 07-11-2009, 09:30 PM

5,525 posts, read 13,960,439 times
Well, its obviously isn't it? I blame Massachusetts, Maine, Vermont, New Hampshire, Connecticut, and Iowa for the actions of Ensign and Sanford.

Old 07-11-2009, 11:06 PM

9,324 posts, read 26,766,593 times
Sanctity is a religious standard, not a legal one. Marriage is based on religion and making a covenant between two people. The marriage license is a legal document plain and simple. Any couple should be free to marry, regardless of race, gender, etc. However, no religious institution should be obligated to approve of a union between homosexuals. The legal side should be independant of religion as many non-religious marry for its legal benefits. Sanctity is not threatened as long as government does not change religious standards.

Old 07-12-2009, 12:37 AM

9,912 posts, read 13,907,347 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tallrick View Post
...Marriage is based on religion....
Not necessarily.

There was marriage long before religion hijacked it and started applying their own definition and moral standard to the union.

Old 07-12-2009, 05:32 AM

8,652 posts, read 17,248,829 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ocean2026 View Post
Who is a threat to the sanctity of marriage? Are the gays who if they get domestic equal rights are going to convince married people to "switch sides"?

Do politicians like Ensign, Craig and Sanford make a joke of marriage when they campaign on these issues and then are caught being sleazeballs? Dems are almost as bad but they don't moralize about it and they quickly resign and hide under a rock (McGreavy and Spitzer etc).

If 60% of the current generation get divorce and many more live in cheating or abusive marriages is it ok that marriage works for a small minority?

I've done some marriage counseling and many divorces for 30 years ( yeah have dual degrees) and really got into it for curiousity. What I see isn't so nice because many of the worst marriages are people who can fool everyone by holding hands in public etc

What about "alternative lifestyles" ? The mainsteam media gives little attention to them but they seem to divorce less. Take a look at Craigslist -casual encounters and you see them everywhere. On some sites such as Adultfriendfinder you find 8 million members but its just not discussed openly.

Any ideas on this broad topic?
You haven't been around CD much lately is Adultfriendfinder where you have been? LOL

Old 07-12-2009, 07:12 AM

1,084 posts, read 2,479,135 times
I believe in the separation of church and state, so I also believe marriage should be separated between the two as well. If a person joins a certain religion and marries within it, their marriage can be sanctified according to the regulations of that religion, and legalized by the state. If gays want to marry, their marriage may not be sanctified by a certain religion, but it will be legalized by the state.

Old 07-12-2009, 10:54 AM

1,122 posts, read 2,318,107 times
Before the Native Americans were transformed into Roman Catholic worshipers, those who were gay were considered to have a special spirtual connectiveness, called Two-Spirts.

Quote:
The term "Two-Spirit" refers to a belief among some tribes that there are people who manifest both masculine and feminine spiritual qualities. According to Native American scholars, many tribes once revered Two-Spirits, viewing them as a third gender with a special spiritual connectedness. In these tribes, Two-Spirits filled important tribal roles as counselors, storytellers and healers.

This belief, scholars have also observed, has been eroded in many places by the imposition of Judeo-Christian views of homosexuality as sinful.
Gay Native Americans Rediscover 'Two-Spirit' Identity

Why are we spending so many millions of dollars to "protect" our way of life when the "alternative" way of life was accepted for so mamy thousands of years before chrisitianity? Heck, it wasn't even that big of a deal in Alexander's time, which speaking in years we have been on this planet as a species, wasn't all that long ago. Come on. The debate is to force ones religious beliefs on another while the other pushes back. Just now, we can't hang them, chop their heads off, or stone them in public, at least in the US, for doing so.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates