Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-06-2010, 03:04 PM

27,232 posts, read 46,668,826 times

Advertisements

One of the richest people I knew, owned a lot of property, most of the town in fact, went around in overalls and plaid shirts. You wouldn't think she had a dime to her name.

They're rich because they are WISE with their money, and make frugal choices. Like that senior discount. Why not, it's there for them, why not take advantage?

Old 05-06-2010, 03:07 PM

25,758 posts, read 18,826,754 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hnsq View Post
You want to live in a 64 sqft cabin (a Tumbleweed house?) because you can tell people you have everything 'figured out'. You don't need the stuff, you don't need the space, you are better than all of us 'sheep'. I have a feeling you only want to live in a small house because it makes you feel more important than anyone else. You do the opposite of what popular culture says and that makes you feel better than anyone else. Typical hipster/hippie mentality. Just as driven by consumerism and popular culture as everyone else.
Not the case. My reasoning is that I, number one, just don't need or want the space, and two, I just don't want to waste my time heating, maintaining, dusting, cleaning junk out of, etc the space that is of no value to me. Nothing to do with what anyone else thinks. I do prefer small living spaces, but that doesn't mean that I wouldn't mind having a good-sized chunk of land big enough to make an attempt at greater self-sufficiency.

No, no,no. I'm no 'hippie'--not a greenie either. And I have no idea what pop culture is doing these days. I stopped following that about 25 years ago. Believe me, there really isn't much I do with thoughts of what others think of me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hnsq View Post
Believe it or not, I agree with you on some things. I seriously considered building a tumbleweed house at one point. I now own a 900 sqft townhouse that I share with another person. I only use 600 sqft on a regular basis.

What I don't like is your arrogant attitude and that smug tone you have with everything you say.

But hey - it is a free country. Be arrogant if you want.
I think the tumbleweed guy (actually, duo) has a pretty cool thing going. I don't always agree with his motivations; but sometimes with motivations to do something, that something can benefit a far more diverse group of people that may not share the sentiments. He seems to be a save-the-planet type guy, and that's fine, but I'm just more of an 'I don't need/want any more than that' type person. I did buy his design book and he has tons of things to say that I agree with. And some great design philosophy. His first statement about living in small spaces is that he simply doesn't need the space, doesn't want to clean a big space, and doesn't want to pay for that extra space. That I agree with. Is he lazy and cheap? Maybe. But that's the same motivation I have. What he doesn't strike me as is someone who is doing it just to say 'look at me.' He seems to be a genuinely nice guy who has some good ideas and some negative feelings about what I also consider to be unfortunate trends in housing--which, and I agree with him, are at the root only about money (as in bilking the public and making them think they're getting something good out of it).

Mmmmmhhh, arrogant and smug. Throwing stones from a glass house? You may be mistaking it with cynicism. That, I will admit to. Sometimes excessive cynicism laced with excessive sarcasm--okay, I'll go that far, too. But only sometimes. And, hey, at the end of the day, it's all in great fun, right?

Old 05-08-2010, 02:15 PM

1,203 posts, read 1,983,474 times
The only big thing I plan on buying is acreage.
Enough so my nearest neighbor is at least a mile or two away.
I hate walking out side my house and having to see people, hear cars, etc every day.

Old 05-12-2010, 06:08 PM

2,888 posts, read 6,540,413 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tvdxer View Post
You're interacting with people on your computer right now.

I know!
I thought about that as I typed it! I definitely have my self indulgent moments. But I could live, happily, without my computer.

Old 05-13-2010, 06:29 PM

24,511 posts, read 33,321,730 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by princesasabia View Post
Most Americans think the bigger the better. Greed is one of the biggest problems in America.
Don't confuse greed with success. Not everyone who thinks the bigger the better is "greedy." Also don't forget that many of the "greedy" as you put it employ many people.

Many companies employ one hundred or hundreds of people... people who may not be working if their employer wasn't "greedy."

Old 06-20-2010, 03:05 PM

436 posts, read 908,506 times
Sadly yes,most people I know don't really own that BMW or the boat or the motor home that sit in their driveway, we carry way too much debt and that is bad, we have been living lifestyles we can't afford and now we are really paying for it in repositions and foreclosures. I see so many foreclosures in my neighborhood it is ridiculous. If you have cash houses are cheap now, problem is most people are broke and or unemployed.

Old 06-20-2010, 05:10 PM

8,568 posts, read 18,114,585 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FLIGHTSIMMER View Post
Sadly yes,most people I know don't really own that BMW or the boat or the motor home that sit in their driveway, we carry way too much debt and that is bad, we have been living lifestyles we can't afford and now we are really paying for it in repositions and foreclosures. I see so many foreclosures in my neighborhood it is ridiculous. If you have cash houses are cheap now, problem is most people are broke and or unemployed.
You need to increase your circle of acqaintances. Most people I know are NOT unemployed or broke. MOST of my friends and relatives are gainfully employed or happily retired with the finances to live more than comfortably. In fact, I know of only 1 who has been laid off or finds him/herself unemployed at this time.

Old 06-20-2010, 05:17 PM

6,981 posts, read 10,953,490 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtur88;8505132[B
]"Americans live to work". Americans are brought up to be workaholics, and they don't know when to quit, and feel compelled to spend all they can earn plus all they can borrow.[/b]

I lived in Canada for 16 years, and I don't think I knew any two-car families. Nobody wants two cars in Canada, and in winter you don't even want one, but you have to have one, and then keep moving it all the time so they can plow.
You are so right about this. Sometimes, I think we're the stupidest people on the face of the earth.

We don't recognize that you don't really own something if you bought it with credit you can't pay back, and on which you're paying 21% interest. If that's the case, your possession owns you, and not the other way around. That's the position many Americans are in because of excessive debt -- our possessions own us.

Old 06-20-2010, 06:51 PM

254 posts, read 415,062 times
Its true - most Americans do live too big.

Old 06-20-2010, 07:17 PM

436 posts, read 908,506 times
Most of my friends have jobs, many of them can't afford to lose them as then they can't pay for the toys.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates