Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-01-2009, 05:06 PM

8,515 posts, read 16,198,960 times

Advertisements

White Privilege Checklist

Peggy McIntosh, Associate Director of the Wellesley College Center for Research on Women, describes white privilege as “an invisible package of unearned assets, which I can count on cashing in each day, but about which I was ‘meant’ to remain oblivious. White privilege is like an invisible
weightless knapsack of special provisions, maps, passports, code books, visas, clothes, tools, and
blank checks” (McIntosh, 1989).

The following are examples of ways white individuals have privilege because they are white. Please read the list and place a check next to the privileges that apply to you or that you have encountered. At the end, try to list at least two more ways you have privilege based on your race.

___ 1. I can arrange to be in the company of people of my race most of the time.

___ 2. I can go shopping alone most of the time, pretty well assured that I will not be followed or harassed.

___ 3. I can turn on the television or open to the front page of the paper and see people of my race widely represented.

___ 4. When I am told about our national heritage or about “civilization,” I am shown that people of my color made it what it is.

___ 5. I can be sure that my children will be given curricular materials that testify to the existence of their race.

___ 6. I can go into a music shop and count on finding the music of my race represented, into a supermarket and find the food I grew up with, into a hairdresser’s shop and find someone who can deal with my hair.

___ 7. Whether I use checks, credit cards, or cash, I can count on my skin color not to work against the appearance of financial responsibility.

___ 8. I am not made acutely aware that my shape, bearing, or body odor will be taken as a reflection on my race.

___ 9. I can worry about racism without being seen as self-interested or self-seeking.

___ 10. I can take a job or enroll in a college with an affirmative action policy without having my co-workers or peers assume I got it because of my race.

___ 11. I can be late to a meeting without having the lateness reflect on my race.

___ 12. I can choose public accommodation with out fearing that people of my race cannot get in or will be mistreated.

___ 13. I am never asked to speak for all of the people of my racial group.

___ 14. I can be pretty sure that if I ask to talk with the “person in charge” I will be facing a person of my race.

___ 15. If a traffic cop pulls me over or if the IRS audits my tax return, I can be sure I haven't been singled out because of my race.

___ 16. I can easily by posters, postcards, picture books, greeting cards, dolls, toys, and children’s magazines featuring people of my race.

___ 17. I can choose blemish cover or bandages in “flesh” color and have them more or less match my skin.

___ 18. I can do well in a challenging situation without being called a credit to my race.

___ 19. I can walk into a classroom and know I will not be the only member of my race.

___ 20. I can enroll in a class at college and be sure that the majority of my professors will be of my race.

Racial privilege is only one forms of privilege. What are other examples of privilege? (e.g., privilege based on gender, sexual orientation, class, and religion).

Can you think of ways one might have privilege based on these
factors? (e.g., that you do not have to worry about being verbally or physically harassed because of your sexual orientation; or you can be sure that your religious holiday will be acknowledged and represented in
store displays, classroom discussions, etc.).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-01-2009, 05:25 PM

21,144 posts, read 42,166,134 times
Remember that a 'White' person can run the gamut from porcelain white skin tone to deep brown.

Too: it is possible for at least a man to be too 'white'----------natural platinum blond hair can be a drawback for being taken seriously in certain social settings.

There is some prejudice against redheads as well.

And we are not even discussing dark skinned Arabs, Iranians, Sicilians, Spaniards, etc.

Side note: I may be Nordic White in appearance but my birth surname sounds 'Hispanic'----------which may have been a problem at times.

Old 01-01-2009, 05:45 PM

1,434 posts, read 3,971,272 times
Quote:
Remember that a 'White' person can run the gamut from porcelain white skin tone to deep brown.
When you say deep brown are you talking about people like Indians, Desis, Sri Lankans, and Pakistanis for example ? Because if you are than you are wrong because in the U.S census Uncle Sam lumps them in with Asians and not with Whites. [MOD CUT/offensive]

Last edited by Ibginnie; 01-20-2009 at 05:25 AM..

Old 01-01-2009, 06:13 PM

2,016 posts, read 5,587,702 times
Peggy McIntosh is one that has compassion which is great, but the problem with her idea of "White priviledge" is that everyone White person should step down and let the colored people run the country, businesses and educational establishment (ie. Affirmative Action). It's almost a call to pity for someone that is colored or disenfranchised. She fails to address that pitying someone is an emotion felt by one with compassion yet that is still above them on a heirarchy. Compassion is a great thing, but let's not forget to have an effective mind as well. People are only priviledged as the society they dwell sees them as priviledged. While we should recognize we may be priviledged in many ways and not simply based on color but perhaps more so based on wealth, we the priviledged should fight for justice so that everyone may achieve equality. When people do achieve equality I think her point of "white priviledge" would become a moot point.

Old 01-01-2009, 06:25 PM

339 posts, read 708,121 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RangerDuke08 View Post
Peggy McIntosh is one that has compassion which is great, but the problem with her idea of "White priviledge" is that everyone White person should step down and let the colored people run the country, businesses and educational establishment (ie. Affirmative Action). It's almost a call to pity for someone that is colored or disenfranchised. She fails to address that pitying someone is an emotion felt by one with compassion yet that is still above them on a heirarchy. Compassion is a great thing, but let's not forget to have an effective mind as well. People are only priviledged as the society they dwell sees them as priviledged. While we should recognize we may be priviledged in many ways and not simply based on color but perhaps more so based on wealth, we the priviledged should fight for justice so that everyone may achieve equality. When people do achieve equality I think her point of "white priviledge" would become a moot point.
I could tell this was going to be the case after I read this far..."Peggy McIntosh, Associate Director of the Wellesley College".

Old 01-01-2009, 06:38 PM

2,016 posts, read 5,587,702 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JDTD View Post
I could tell this was going to be the case after I read this far..."Peggy McIntosh, Associate Director of the Wellesley College".
You know the saying, women will rule the world one day.

Old 01-01-2009, 06:45 PM

5,273 posts, read 14,559,059 times
If I live in a city where there are 90% whites, I should expect for all this to be true. If I live in an area where it's 75% non white, then she's wrong.

All she is saying is that if I live in an area that is predominantly white I should find more whites.

That's pretty scientific and very liberal.

It's also racist to a certain extent.

Old 01-01-2009, 06:55 PM

24,645 posts, read 38,687,227 times
Quote:
If I live in a city where there are 90% whites, I should expect for all this to be true. If I live in an area where it's 75% non white, then she's wrong.
If you are talking about America, you are very much wrong. Whites still have control and a higher degree of personal rights and security in areas that are predominantly black because the wealth, the wealth and means of societal control are still controlled by whites. Whites still enjoy privilege in these areas.

Old 01-01-2009, 07:44 PM

765 posts, read 1,913,440 times
The list just seems to be a whole lot of of general stereotypes to be used to inflame and inspire mistrust ...

Old 01-01-2009, 09:41 PM

4,176 posts, read 10,698,161 times
I agree, these are extreme generalizations.

I have been followed in stores, questioned and harassed, and been followed by police officers for miles as well. No bandaid matches my skin tone, and I have a serious skin defect that I cannot conceal or cover with any color-toned preparation yet. I have been audited three times by the IRS, twice because my identity was stolen. And all I hear about is that people of 'my color' are guilty of having murdered and enslaved people - yet the truth of the matter is my own people (Irish) and DH's (Indian) were enslaved and killed simply because of their heritage. Because I chose unusual professions due to my interests and skills, it was generally assumed that I was in class to either 'pick up men' or because they HAD to hire women too. So does that mean that there is some sort of conspiracy against me? Not bloody likely. One proves oneself (or doesn't) in this world based on one's skills and ability to adapt, not on someone else's interpretation or falsely held, stereotypical belief.

What this tells me is that elvislives has the right take - these questions are meant to inflame and have to do with EVERYONE's generalizations and stereotypes.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates