Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-16-2009, 06:38 AM

50,374 posts, read 63,977,343 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmarie123 View Post
I had to add a little more.

I really like (or dislike I guess) number 17... flesh color bandages! I never thought of that.

In a class I was teaching we were discussing racism. One of the white students mentioned that there would be riots if we had a TV Channel Called "White Entertainment Television." I've heard that argument a lot, and actually bought into it. I thinks it's true. But then one of the black girls in the class said something that totally changed my whole view.

She said, "You do have White Entertainment Television. It's called TBS, CNN, CBS, ABC, The CW, Nickelodeon, Lifetime Television for Women, Spike TV, 'E' Entertainment, NBC, Fox, PBS, AMC, TNT, Disney, HGTV, Oxygen, Style, TCM, USA, WE, and all the other TV channels. How do you think it felt growing up and only have one channel in which I could see someone of my race in more than just one supporting role on an otherwise white cast television show... and only then if I was lucky. Not to mention, not seeing anyone of my race playing the hero or the heroin of any show!"

I never thought of it that way, but it's true. I think it's better now, then years ago... but think about the big shoes....

Desperate Housewives- all white
Grey's Anatomy- all main characters are non-black/non-hispanic
Private Practive- all white
CSI- Currently all Main characters are white
House- 3 our of 4 are white
Sorry, can't think of anymore right now, don't watch that much TV

Blockbuster movies in the theaters right now... almost all feature whites only in main and large support roles.
There is plenty of black only TV. Have you ever tried watching it? I have, but I'm not in sync with either the humor or the vernacular. I think many cultures are well represented on mainstream TV shows.
I have often thought that as a white, older woman, I am probably the least threatening type of human on the planet, so therefore people treat me in a certain way. If I were a young black male, or a huge muscle bound white man with tattoos, I would probably experience lot different reactions from people. It's only human nature to seek out things that are familiar to us.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-16-2009, 10:07 AM

2,290 posts, read 5,545,413 times
This Op-Ed seemed appropriate for this thread.

Andrew M. Manis: When are we going to get over it? | ShreveportTimes | The Times.

Old 01-17-2009, 07:25 AM

1,175 posts, read 1,785,898 times
White privilege, does it exist?

Not for me....

I have to work my azz off to get what little I have. The tax-man takes huge chunks out of my check regularly. I bought the cheapest economy-car that was still practical. I have no money for any of the following....Spinners, Bling-Bling, flashy leather jackets...Over Gold jewelry....Range Rovers, Mercedes Benz cars, Lincoln Navigators, Hummers, Cadillac limos, diamond studded monogrammed teeth.....Big Bentleys with spinners Big Buicks with spinners, huge hair-doo's huge finger-nail paint-jobs...Silverados with spinners....gold plated AK-47's....private yachts...private jets with spinners.....bling bling with spinners.....do it your self drug funded "record labels" ....bee bop rap hippity hoppity in da house "studios"....or any of the rest of that K-rap...
I'm in debt and don't own a home. I paid my way through school (university, where I studied like a mad-man) and paid off all my student loans. If I sold everything I have, I'd just be able to pay off all my debts....I think....And I'm constantly struggling to stay employed....I have a hard time getting small business loans because I'm not a minority...and I'm not "at a disadvantage"...so I don't bother....

So no....being "white" (what ever THAT means...) has not been advantageous at all....

Last edited by Happy Cells; 01-17-2009 at 07:35 AM..

Old 01-18-2009, 12:04 AM

7,085 posts, read 12,055,553 times
It certainly creates controversy. In the same thought I should write a book about Japanese privilege in Japan, because I feel everyone else is under represented. It's so hard to find a white guy on TV there, doesn't matter that only .6% are not ethnic Japanese...I should be able to turn on the TV and see a white person on it without changing channels (Demographics of Japan - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia).

Old 01-19-2009, 01:16 PM

2,290 posts, read 5,545,413 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by subsound View Post
It certainly creates controversy. In the same thought I should write a book about Japanese privilege in Japan, because I feel everyone else is under represented. It's so hard to find a white guy on TV there, doesn't matter that only .6% are not ethnic Japanese...I should be able to turn on the TV and see a white person on it without changing channels (Demographics of Japan - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia).
Japan doesn't have a Declaration of Independence, decreeing that "all men are created equal". Japan does not, and has never held itself out as a nation where all people, regardless of race, creed or culture, were equal in the eyes of the law.

The U.S., by contrast, holds itself out to be a nation where there is no ruling class--either by race, creed or culture. For several centuries, that was a lie. A fraud.

But things have changed along the way. And they will continue to Change.

Old 01-19-2009, 03:57 PM

877 posts, read 2,077,373 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by backfist View Post
Japan doesn't have a Declaration of Independence, decreeing that "all men are created equal". Japan does not, and has never held itself out as a nation where all people, regardless of race, creed or culture, were equal in the eyes of the law.
Really? Their Constitution says otherwise.

Article 14. All of the people are equal under the law and there shall be no discrimination in political, economic or social relations because of race, creed, sex, social status or family origin.

Peers and peerage shall not be recognized.

Old 01-21-2009, 03:40 PM

1,530 posts, read 3,790,488 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Happy Cells View Post
White privilege, does it exist?

Not for me....

I have to work my azz off to get what little I have. The tax-man takes huge chunks out of my check regularly. I bought the cheapest economy-car that was still practical. I have no money for any of the following....Spinners, Bling-Bling, flashy leather jackets...Over Gold jewelry....Range Rovers, Mercedes Benz cars, Lincoln Navigators, Hummers, Cadillac limos, diamond studded monogrammed teeth.....Big Bentleys with spinners Big Buicks with spinners, huge hair-doo's huge finger-nail paint-jobs...Silverados with spinners....gold plated AK-47's....private yachts...private jets with spinners.....bling bling with spinners.....do it your self drug funded "record labels" ....bee bop rap hippity hoppity in da house "studios"....or any of the rest of that K-rap...
I'm in debt and don't own a home. I paid my way through school (university, where I studied like a mad-man) and paid off all my student loans. If I sold everything I have, I'd just be able to pay off all my debts....I think....And I'm constantly struggling to stay employed....I have a hard time getting small business loans because I'm not a minority...and I'm not "at a disadvantage"...so I don't bother....

So no....being "white" (what ever THAT means...) has not been advantageous at all....
I second this, wholeheartedly.

Oh, and don't forget... you're not allowed to join groups with *your* race in the title, or point out anti-white racism, LOL!

Old 01-21-2009, 03:45 PM

1,530 posts, read 3,790,488 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by backfist View Post
I, for one, don't want your guilt. Nor do I care one wit about your feelings toward non-Whites.

I just don't want you in a position of hiring and promotions; in a position of school admissions; in a police uniform; in a doctor's office; on a Court bench; in a legislative seat; or in the media.
I could say the same of you. Seems to me Thurgood Marshall got this "protected classes" thing rolling.

I don't want anti-white racists in the same positions you mention.

Funny how all these folks that hate white folks won't go to where they are the majority, say Africa, but would rather stay here and try to take over via phenomenon like white flight.

Old 01-21-2009, 04:42 PM

24,645 posts, read 38,651,238 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JMadison View Post
I could say the same of you. Seems to me Thurgood Marshall got this "protected classes" thing rolling.

I don't want anti-white racists in the same positions you mention.

Funny how all these folks that hate white folks won't go to where they are the majority, say Africa, but would rather stay here and try to take over via phenomenon like white flight.
So people like you who benefit from slavery and genocide of Natives have more of a right to be here than nonwhites do?

Old 01-21-2009, 04:44 PM

24,645 posts, read 38,651,238 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by subsound View Post

Why?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates