Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-22-2021, 03:22 AM

6,992 posts, read 6,915,775 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by DKM View Post
They have 100's of millions of labor working for $1 an hour with no representation. That's how they accomplish so many things, basically with slaves.
Yes, thats true.

But Britain and America also had slaves, servants and now I bet no-one in those countries would not want to pay for the benefit of having a home-grown piece of furniture or electrical gizmo. The labour costs are too high to allow the goods to be sold for what you want to buy them for.

So, thats the price of progress and those countries which are not developed yet are called apon to produce cheap goods which the developed countries buy. Everyone wins - in the long term. Under developed countries become developed eventually, and along the way atrocities happen - just like they did in the now-developed countries.

Thats the way it works while we have a greedy, selfish, profit-driven economy.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-22-2021, 08:20 AM

88,765 posts, read 85,156,095 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ocpaul20 View Post
I dont think it is to show how rich they are, it is a cultural thing. If you have guests you want them to have "enough" to eat and the host should not be mean and stingy because that is not welcoming. It is the same reason some cultures provide the best foods they have for their visitors.

The food is left on the table yes, sometimes when there is a party of businessmen for example, or when it is inconvenient to take home the leftovers. However, when eating as a family or group which all know each other, then doggie-bags are almost always taken back home. I am not saying your daughter was wrong but maybe misinterpreted the custom.

A third world country without many social services (like family credits, help with food tokens, etc) each person has to make a living for their family as best they can. It is only with the advancement of society that you get governments helping the poorest and raising them to a higher level. It is probably the same thing in India and other underdeveloped countries, everyone is scrabbling to make a living so money is always important. Far more than in countries like the UK where there is an unemployment benefit for those out of work.

I am a veggie too, and it is difficult if you eat out. People dont seem to understand you can have a restaurant dish without meat - although it IS getting better as time goes on. I survive on fairly boring restaurant vegetable dishes, tofu, and rice. In the West maybe it is 25% of people are veggies so that is a large market. No Macdonalds or KFC have veggie burgers yet, even in Beijing.
No, it wasn't a matter of not taking home leftovers in these cases. She is well versed in Chinese customs and the culture. It was done deliberately as a way of showing off wealth. She mostly saw this when she lived in Chengdu, not so much in Beijing.

LOL, I do remember her saying she ate a lot of McDonald's French fries when she first got there, but she came to love the Sichuan flavors. When she graduated with her Master's two years ago (in Albany, New York) she found a Sichuan restaurant for her celebration dinner owned by recent immigrants. The menu included pig brains and several bullfrog dishes. She and I got spicy vegan food. Her dad and stepmom went for dishes made from more familiar parts of the pig.

Here is our Ma Po Tofu. I forget the name of the spicy string beans.

Last edited by Mightyqueen801; 06-22-2021 at 08:34 AM..

Old 06-22-2021, 11:11 AM

2,269 posts, read 1,366,251 times
Quote:
They have 100's of millions of labor working for $1 an hour with no representation.
To lure workers back to world’s largest iPhone factory, located in the central Chinese city of Zhengzhou, Foxconn is offering up to 8,000 yuan (US$1,237) as signing bonus to former workers willing to return to the Zhengzhou production line for the peak season.

https://www.scmp.com/tech/big-tech/a...workers-record
Apple has added more enterprises from mainland China than anywhere else to its list of suppliers over the past three years, showing how the world’s second-largest economy remains integral to the US technology giant’s hi-tech supply chain. That was helped by the country’s ability to contain the coronavirus outbreak and swiftly reopen its economy.
By comparison, production at Foxconn’s iPhone factory in India has slumped by more than 50 per cent
because of increased Covid-19 infections among workers there. Vietnam, where Foxconn also has production facilities, was also hit with a new wave of coronavirus cases since last month.
“The Covid-19 flare-up in India and Vietnam did underline how important China is in the global supply chain, and the bonus raise also has a similar implication,” said IDC’s Wong. He indicated, however, that it also “implies the importance of diversifying supply chain and production amid all the uncertainties”.

Old 06-22-2021, 01:55 PM

1,912 posts, read 1,138,744 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Very Man Himself View Post

Average speed of TGV etc. is closer to 200 MPH.

FALSE

You can go to sncf.fr and look up trip times for the TGV between different cities. Far below 200 mph average. The TGV's top speed is 186 mph so it can't go an average of 200 mph.

For example, Thalys (Paris-Brussels): 80 minutes, 150 mph average.

And, as I stated, the Acela has a higher top speed than some European high speed trains such as the X2000.

Old 06-22-2021, 06:52 PM

2,289 posts, read 1,578,146 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GSPNative View Post
FALSE

You can go to sncf.fr and look up trip times for the TGV between different cities. Far below 200 mph average. The TGV's top speed is 186 mph so it can't go an average of 200 mph.

For example, Thalys (Paris-Brussels): 80 minutes, 150 mph average.

And, as I stated, the Acela has a higher top speed than some European high speed trains such as the X2000.
Last time I was on TGV, 2018, Paris/Marseille speed on the monitor at the front of the carriage was showing 320 kph for most of the time. Direct service, no stops, bypassed Dijon, Macon, Lyon etc. Didn't have to slow down to enter stations. Did have to slow down for other reasons.

Acela Express/Average speed84 mph

Old 06-22-2021, 10:36 PM

675 posts, read 647,323 times
I've never been. Most of my impression of China is gotten through the laowhy86 YouTube channel. His videos make China look like a video game full of all manner of dangers, like bad building codes, really bad food safety, bad driving (on bad roads) and overall corruption at all levels.

But culturally, China looks really neat. Tai chi in the streets. A pretty good football system to follow, interesting architecture and fashion. And beautiful skyscrapers.

Old 06-23-2021, 12:47 AM

23,286 posts, read 29,145,078 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KaraG View Post
Do you want to live in high density apartments?

Sounds horrible.
People that make comments like this, I'm guessing have never lived in a high rise, and have always lived in a single family home.

I once lived on the 38th floor of a high rise in MInneapolis, it was only 1000SF, with floor to ceiling windows, and even tho' the unit was small, you get the illusion that you're in a 2000SF unit. It was absolutely magical. My mattress up against the window, I'd go to sleep looking at the city lights 30 miles away. I could even see the storms coming in the from the West. And, it was so quiet I could see fire trucks and police cars on the freeway, but, up that far, I didn't hear the sirens.

Now it's another story if your only view is another high rise across from yours, or if you're down on the lower floors.

I once knew someone who lived on the 62nd floor of the John Hancock building in Chicago, and I can only imagine how magical that was!

High rise living also gives you more opportunities to socialize, you're bound to meet up with people on the elevators every day.

Old 06-23-2021, 06:43 AM

1,912 posts, read 1,138,744 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Very Man Himself View Post
Last time I was on TGV, 2018, Paris/Marseille speed on the monitor at the front of the carriage was showing 320 kph for most of the time. Direct service, no stops, bypassed Dijon, Macon, Lyon etc. Didn't have to slow down to enter stations. Did have to slow down for other reasons.

Acela Express/Average speed84 mph

I was wrong about the TOP speed of TGVs; indeed some of the newer ones have a TOP speed of 320 kph (200 mph).

AVERAGE speed and TOP speed are not the same thing.

The Acela's average is 84 mph and its top speed is 150 mph (to be 160 mph this fall or whenever the new trains are launched). The Acela has portions of its route that are curvy and stops a lot; thus the gap between average and top speeds.

The TGV's average is still about 150 mph and its top speed is 200 mph. Like the Acela, the TGV has some portions of its routes that are conventional track and it has time around cities when it isn't at top speed.

Old 06-23-2021, 06:46 AM

8,129 posts, read 7,506,833 times
Well, well, well. The last pro-democracy newspaper in Hong Kong will shut down for good tomorrow. Five editors were arrested using a national security law and were accused of "colluding with foreigners" to "endanger national security" by publishing pro-democracy editorials.

https://apnews.com/article/hong-kong...71c3bc099a587d

Shame on the apologists for the regime. And shame on American and other Western millionaires and billionaires who remain silent so they can keep the money trains flowing.

What's to be envied about China?

Old 06-23-2021, 11:12 AM

23,286 posts, read 29,145,078 times
Given what's occurred in this country the past 5 years with freedom of the press (Qanon/Fox for example) I've come to envy the countries that crack down on free press.

Chavez made the mistake of not cracking down on the free press in Caracas, as a billionaire owned Univision was determined to rid the country of Chavez who was democratically elected.

If China had catered to the Nimby's and Historical Preservationists like we do in this country, can you imagine what that country would look like today? Some of those cities might resemble San Francisco, where the the Kings and Queens on the Hills, won't allow any building higher than 3 stories to block their views of the Bay.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates