Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 09-13-2020, 11:13 AM

2,289 posts, read 1,567,115 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by duckriverkid View Post
"On every question of construction, let us carry ourselves back to the time when the Constitution was adopted, recollect the spirit manifested in the debates, and instead of trying what meaning may be squeezed out of the text, or invented against it, conform to the probable one in which it was passed"
Thomas Jefferson.

Seems the framers of the Constitution expected endless debates as to the meaning of the original writings.
Seems some people believe that some things in the Constitution can and should be changed via amendment, while other things can't and shouldn't?

Old 09-13-2020, 02:27 PM

196 posts, read 184,039 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Very Man Himself View Post
Seems some people believe that some things in the Constitution can and should be changed via amendment, while other things can't and shouldn't?
And you are correct, there are both opinions on changes to the 2nd amendment. I am one who believes any changes made should be done with all citizens in mind, not just a one side or the other approach. I do not side with those who would take firearms away from law-abiding citizens in any way shape or form. Nor do I think no changes is the way to go. The wording used by the writers of the Constitution was structured for the learned people to understand.

Old 09-13-2020, 02:31 PM

61,288 posts, read 87,405,055 times
If I wanted something well regulated the Last direction I would turn would be our government
Our government at this point is refusing to protect its citizens from domestic and foreign enemies- a breaking of their oath of office

Old 09-13-2020, 03:33 PM

24,621 posts, read 19,159,948 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Urban Peasant View Post
I started this thread with a misunderstanding about the phrase "A Well Regulated Militia" that I am sure many others have also made but others here have since corrected me. I actually took in a lot of worthy information I did not know about the amendment and I appreciate it but if you're going to try to argue that I am myopic in my views, then we can end it here.
I still love you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Urban Peasant View Post
Notice the first part says that if a militia is formed, it has to be well regulated which means it ought to be officially sanctioned by the government.
Whenever you're examining something historically, you need to remove yourself from the "here and now" and put yourself in their time and place.

And you might ask how that is possible. Granted, we have no idea what some Sumerian king was thinking 7,000 years ago.

But we know exactly what the men who wrote the Constitution and the amendments thereto were thinking.

How do we know?

From their blogs and vlogs and Facepuke pages.

Uh, wut? They didn't have electricity!

They had blogs nonetheless. Back then they were called "diaries."

The men who wrote the Constitution kept diaries of their daily or weekly activities, wrote letters to each other and to other men not even associated with the process of creating the Constitution, and the kept minutes of the meetings their committees held.

And in those written documents they state exactly what they were thinking and feeling.

So we know, with no uncertainty, exactly what they were thinking and feeling. You just have to read those diaries, letters and meeting minutes to know (and many universities have upper level courses where you will do exactly that).

Historically, a militia was "the body of the people."

A militia never needed to be created by any government at any level, nor did it need to be sanctioned or approved by any government at any level, because, well, it was the body of the people.

In this context, the People and the State (meaning a government of any kind) are separate and distinct entities.

I would also mention another important fact. When the body of the people formed a militia, they never allowed the mentally incompetent to be part of the militia.

You probably heard the term "village idiot."

That was a person who was mildly or profoundly retarded, or profoundly deaf and thus also mute, or who had a mental illness like schizophrenia, schizo-affective disorder, neurosis, psychosis or another mental illness.

Because such persons were unable to communicate effectively, or unable to maintain any livelihood and some experienced auditory, visual or tactile hallucinations they ran around like through the village like, well, an idiot, thus "village idiot."

Such persons were never armed and never allowed to be part of the militia -- the body of the people -- because they could not be trusted, not to mention they often lacked the ability to wield a weapon of any kind.

I mention that because claims that the 2nd Amendment is "absolute" are false. There are limitations and those limitations extend to those who are mentally incompetent because the men who wrote those amendments would never have allowed a mentally incompetent person be part of a militia.

Having said that, it must be taken in context with the 5th and 14th Amendments.

You cannot deprive one of their life or liberty, and the men who wrote the Constitution defined "liberty" as your right to earn a livelihood, your money, and your property, among things, without due process.

Due process is both procedural and substantive.

You cannot take weapons from a person just because you think something is wrong with them.

You need a hearing before an administrative law judge or an actual court where evidence can be presented that a person is mentally incompetent and should not be allowed to possess a firearm and the person can present evidence that they are not mentally incompetent, or that they are mentally incompetent, but should still be allowed to possess a firearm, and then adjudicate the matter.

That is in keeping with the Constitution and its Amendments.

Returning to the 2nd Amendment, note that nowhere does it expressly state or imply that the State should regulate the militia.

It is the people who form the militia that regulate it, not the State.

You might think I'm splitting hairs, because the People and the State are one in the same, but as I pointed out earlier, they are not.

There are some differently twisted interpretations of the 2nd Amendment.

The men chose their words very carefully, and one has the "right to bear arms."

It does not say one has the "right to drag, tow, fly or ride in arms."

From their diaries, letters and meeting minutes, it is crystal clear they were referring to personal weapons. A crew-served weapon is not a personal weapon. A weapons platform is not a personal weapon.

Some might say those things did not exist and those men could not have envisioned them, but they did exist and they did envision them.

If you notice, it does not say Freedom of Speech Whilst Shouting at a Crowd or Freedom of the Printing Press or Freedom of the Printed Press.

Many of the men who wrote the Constitution were inventors or they were what today we would call "scientists."

They liked change, they welcomed change, and they were keenly aware that things would change over time. They knew Speech and Press would change forms over time, although they did not know precisely how, because they discussed it.

They were not as stupid as many people would have us believe.

Which brings us to this:

Quote:
Originally Posted by villageidiot1 View Post
No matter how many times I read the second amendment, I can't imagine the Founding Fathers intended that this amendment's intent was, "to protect individuals and their property FROM the government."
When the body of the people form a militia, it isn't just to fight off foreign invaders roaming the streets or to protect against domestic violence.

It is also to defend against an abusive government or a government that engage in actions which are injurious to the people.

The men who wrote the Constitution did not live in a vacuum.

They were well aware of the abuses of government, having witnessed it and suffered it themselves.

That's why they rejected monarchy and established a republican form of government.

Since a unitary State would fail and be diametrically opposed to the security of the people, they rejected that, and since a confederation was/had failed, they rejected that and wisely adopted federalism.

They created a clever system of Checks & Balances so that neither the Executive, Legislative or Judicial branches could become all powerful.

Even with their clever system, those men were well aware of the possibility that all 3 branches of government could engage in collusion to oppress the people.

The only way to defend against that is the body of the people forming militias to remove the government and restore order.

B-b-b-b-b-but the Civil War!

What militia commander would be stupid enough to stand on the battlefield and let the federal army slaughter them?

Somebody show me where modern war-fighting styles are used in the Civil War.

Oh, that's right, nobody can.

Had the South been aware of and used Asymmetrical Warfare they would have handily defeated the Union in short order.

The NVA and Viet Cong didn't have an air force, yet they managed to drive the US out of Vietnam.

Better type up a memo and send it to the various Afghan tribes. Maybe you can convince them to all gather in a single place at at once and let the US Air Force bomb them out of existence.

Quote:
Originally Posted by duckriverkid View Post
"On every question of construction, let us carry ourselves back to the time when the Constitution was adopted, recollect the spirit manifested in the debates, and instead of trying what meaning may be squeezed out of the text, or invented against it, conform to the probable one in which it was passed"
Thomas Jefferson.

Seems the framers of the Constitution expected endless debates as to the meaning of the original writings.
You misunderstand what Jefferson said. What he said was if you have a question, then read the diaries, letters and meeting minutes to see understand the proper interpretation.

Old 09-13-2020, 03:37 PM

691 posts, read 641,168 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Very Man Himself View Post
Yea, seeing that the Constitution contains a whole Article about the what and how changes can be made, it is little wonder that the American public is confused over the subject.

When a St. Louis couple brandished a firearm after 'protesters' knocked down their iron security gate to their property and begin to trespass upon the owner's property soon found out that the right to bear arms doesn't mean a person can't be prosecuted when they do.

St. Louis Circuit Attorney Kim Gardner filed felony unlawful use of a weapon charges in July. [Source]

In August, St. Louis Circuit Attorney Ms. Gardner won a primary run-off election and is highly favored to win the general election in November. The McCloskey's are personal injury lawyers.

Old 09-13-2020, 04:38 PM

11,460 posts, read 5,980,816 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mircea View Post
I still love you.

Whenever you're examining something historically, you need to remove yourself from the "here and now" and put yourself in their time and place.

And you might ask how that is possible. Granted, we have no idea what some Sumerian king was thinking 7,000 years ago.

But we know exactly what the men who wrote the Constitution and the amendments thereto were thinking.

How do we know?

From their blogs and vlogs and Facepuke pages.

Uh, wut? They didn't have electricity!

They had blogs nonetheless. Back then they were called "diaries."

The men who wrote the Constitution kept diaries of their daily or weekly activities, wrote letters to each other and to other men not even associated with the process of creating the Constitution, and the kept minutes of the meetings their committees held.

And in those written documents they state exactly what they were thinking and feeling.

So we know, with no uncertainty, exactly what they were thinking and feeling. You just have to read those diaries, letters and meeting minutes to know (and many universities have upper level courses where you will do exactly that).

Historically, a militia was "the body of the people."

A militia never needed to be created by any government at any level, nor did it need to be sanctioned or approved by any government at any level, because, well, it was the body of the people.

In this context, the People and the State (meaning a government of any kind) are separate and distinct entities.

I would also mention another important fact. When the body of the people formed a militia, they never allowed the mentally incompetent to be part of the militia.

You probably heard the term "village idiot."

That was a person who was mildly or profoundly retarded, or profoundly deaf and thus also mute, or who had a mental illness like schizophrenia, schizo-affective disorder, neurosis, psychosis or another mental illness.

Because such persons were unable to communicate effectively, or unable to maintain any livelihood and some experienced auditory, visual or tactile hallucinations they ran around like through the village like, well, an idiot, thus "village idiot."

Such persons were never armed and never allowed to be part of the militia -- the body of the people -- because they could not be trusted, not to mention they often lacked the ability to wield a weapon of any kind.

I mention that because claims that the 2nd Amendment is "absolute" are false. There are limitations and those limitations extend to those who are mentally incompetent because the men who wrote those amendments would never have allowed a mentally incompetent person be part of a militia.

Having said that, it must be taken in context with the 5th and 14th Amendments.

You cannot deprive one of their life or liberty, and the men who wrote the Constitution defined "liberty" as your right to earn a livelihood, your money, and your property, among things, without due process.

Due process is both procedural and substantive.

You cannot take weapons from a person just because you think something is wrong with them.

You need a hearing before an administrative law judge or an actual court where evidence can be presented that a person is mentally incompetent and should not be allowed to possess a firearm and the person can present evidence that they are not mentally incompetent, or that they are mentally incompetent, but should still be allowed to possess a firearm, and then adjudicate the matter.

That is in keeping with the Constitution and its Amendments.

Returning to the 2nd Amendment, note that nowhere does it expressly state or imply that the State should regulate the militia.

It is the people who form the militia that regulate it, not the State.

You might think I'm splitting hairs, because the People and the State are one in the same, but as I pointed out earlier, they are not.

There are some differently twisted interpretations of the 2nd Amendment.

The men chose their words very carefully, and one has the "right to bear arms."

It does not say one has the "right to drag, tow, fly or ride in arms."

From their diaries, letters and meeting minutes, it is crystal clear they were referring to personal weapons. A crew-served weapon is not a personal weapon. A weapons platform is not a personal weapon.

Some might say those things did not exist and those men could not have envisioned them, but they did exist and they did envision them.

If you notice, it does not say Freedom of Speech Whilst Shouting at a Crowd or Freedom of the Printing Press or Freedom of the Printed Press.

Many of the men who wrote the Constitution were inventors or they were what today we would call "scientists."

They liked change, they welcomed change, and they were keenly aware that things would change over time. They knew Speech and Press would change forms over time, although they did not know precisely how, because they discussed it.

They were not as stupid as many people would have us believe.

Which brings us to this:

When the body of the people form a militia, it isn't just to fight off foreign invaders roaming the streets or to protect against domestic violence.

It is also to defend against an abusive government or a government that engage in actions which are injurious to the people.

The men who wrote the Constitution did not live in a vacuum.

They were well aware of the abuses of government, having witnessed it and suffered it themselves.

That's why they rejected monarchy and established a republican form of government.

Since a unitary State would fail and be diametrically opposed to the security of the people, they rejected that, and since a confederation was/had failed, they rejected that and wisely adopted federalism.

They created a clever system of Checks & Balances so that neither the Executive, Legislative or Judicial branches could become all powerful.

Even with their clever system, those men were well aware of the possibility that all 3 branches of government could engage in collusion to oppress the people.

The only way to defend against that is the body of the people forming militias to remove the government and restore order.

B-b-b-b-b-but the Civil War!

What militia commander would be stupid enough to stand on the battlefield and let the federal army slaughter them?

Somebody show me where modern war-fighting styles are used in the Civil War.

Oh, that's right, nobody can.

Had the South been aware of and used Asymmetrical Warfare they would have handily defeated the Union in short order.

The NVA and Viet Cong didn't have an air force, yet they managed to drive the US out of Vietnam.

Better type up a memo and send it to the various Afghan tribes. Maybe you can convince them to all gather in a single place at at once and let the US Air Force bomb them out of existence.

You misunderstand what Jefferson said. What he said was if you have a question, then read the diaries, letters and meeting minutes to see understand the proper interpretation.
Excellent post and appropriate for a debate thread.

I read every single word of it. I am probably the only person who will, since I was raised before people could only read 32 word messages.

Old 09-13-2020, 07:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mircea View Post
Just replying in case your above comment was overlooked so that it has another opportunity to be read.

Unfortunately, too many people today have already been arbitrarily stripped of the legal protection they are entitled too under the Constitution which were not even observed from its establishment, being not yet recognized by the people.

If I might embellish upon the quote, Liberty is the right of unfettered restriction endowed unto men by their Creator. Governments are established amongst men to secure the rights of life, liberty and pursuit of happiness and other rights that the laws of Nature and Nature's God entitled them. For such cause the Constitution was ordained to secure the blessings of Liberty upon ourselves and our Posterity.

Self determination and prosperity are a couple of the basic examples that men have long considered to most likely effect their happiness. And in such, the right to the pursuit of happiness follows only with the right of Liberty which follows with the right to Life.

Old 09-13-2020, 08:18 PM

1,037 posts, read 434,994 times
Quoting from Meyer v. Nebraska, USSC: 1923

Quote:
While this Court has not attempted to define with exactness the liberty thus guaranteed, the term has received much consideration and some of the included things have been definitely stated. Without doubt, it denotes not merely freedom from bodily restraint but also the right of the individual to contract, to engage in any of the common occupations of life, to acquire useful knowledge, to marry, establish a home and bring up children, to worship God according to the dictates of his own conscience, and generally to enjoy those privileges long recognized at common law as essential to the orderly pursuit of happiness by free men.

Old 09-14-2020, 03:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LTU2 View Post
While this Court has not attempted to define with exactness the liberty thus guaranteed
Case law after the 1870-80's is when the big drift from Constitutional Law back to the 'Rule of Law' Doctrine become obvious.

Old 09-14-2020, 09:24 AM

11,460 posts, read 5,980,816 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by deadwood View Post
Case law after the 1870-80's is when the big drift from Constitutional Law back to the 'Rule of Law' Doctrine become obvious.

I still think Thurgood Marshall accelerated the decline of adherence to the US Constitution.

Marshall said the US Constitution was "defective from the start".

He said the US Constitution "needed to be corrected."

Marshall never accepted the original intent of the US Constitution and ignored it like the activist judge that he was.

Think about all the fundamental changes to America that occurred during his reighn of terror, from 1967 to 1991. The Constitution was shredded during those years. IT may have began before 1900, but the Marshall Court had a bigger impact than any other court on destroying Constitutional Law IMHO.

Another doosey of a quote by Thurgood Marshall.

“I do not believe that the meaning of the Constitution was forever ‘fixed’ at the Philadelphia convention,” Marshall said, rebutting a view put forth by Atty. Gen. Edwin Meese III. “Nor do I find the wisdom, foresight and sense of justice exhibited by the framers particularly profound.” Thurgood Marshall

Now, think about that for a second. The WISDOM, FORESIGHT, and JUSTICE of the framers was NOT profound. What an arrogant SOB. The collective wisdom of the Founders to Marshall is like the sun to a match. But Marshall destroyed the Constitution, because he could. By 1991 when he died, we had political correctness in full swing.

Pertinent to this debate, I don't think the 1968 Gun Control Act passes constitutional muster without Marshall's rewriting of the US constitution. A pox on him and all the havoc he has wreaked on the Constitution.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates