Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-09-2020, 08:26 AM

24,548 posts, read 17,297,674 times

Advertisements

My wife and I watched a rather disturbing movie the other night called "The house that Jack built". It was about a serial killer and it was particularly gruesome. At one point I thought about shutting it off and I like horror movies. My wife does not. She made it about half way through before she got up to go watch some happy house wife show.

She believes that a movie that features killing and especially cold calculated murder of innocent people that was highlighted in this movie and almost made normal as the main character devolved into his own personal hell could actually inspire people to kill and torture others.

She can and has watched movies like the John Wicks and anything with Liam Neeson generally has a high body count but those are usually quick almost cartoon like killings.

She just thinks it is terrible what people have gone through at the hands of murderers and torture. There is enough of this real life horror happening that we don't need a movie made about it.

Do you think that movies can inspire people to commit murder?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-09-2020, 08:45 AM

15,881 posts, read 6,583,470 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cape Cod Todd View Post
It's possible that somebody who is already predisposed to commit murder may be subtly influenced by a movie. For most people though it's just entertainment.

Old 03-09-2020, 10:35 AM

36,606 posts, read 30,939,483 times
Quote:
My wife and I watched a rather disturbing movie the other night called "The house that Jack built". It was about a serial killer and it was particularly gruesome. At one point I thought about shutting it off and I like horror movies. My wife does not. She made it about half way through before she got up to go watch some happy house wife show.

She believes that a movie that features killing and especially cold calculated murder of innocent people that was highlighted in this movie and almost made normal as the main character devolved into his own personal hell could actually inspire people to kill and torture others.

She can and has watched movies like the John Wicks and anything with Liam Neeson generally has a high body count but those are usually quick almost cartoon like killings.

She just thinks it is terrible what people have gone through at the hands of murderers and torture. There is enough of this real life horror happening that we don't need a movie made about it.

Anything is possible but its highly unlikely. Lots of people are horror fans, myself included. Watching these movies doesn't inspire a normal person to do evil. I believe most good horror/psychological horror films are based on the actions of real evil people. Does life imitate art or does art imitate life?

You know I'm going to have to watch this movie now.

Old 03-09-2020, 11:30 AM

24,548 posts, read 17,297,674 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2mares View Post
Anything is possible but its highly unlikely. Lots of people are horror fans, myself included. Watching these movies doesn't inspire a normal person to do evil. I believe most good horror/psychological horror films are based on the actions of real evil people. Does life imitate art or does art imitate life?

That is the eternal question "does life imitate art or does art imitate life?" That is a theme in the movie where the serial killer poses and photographs his victims with a sideline of trying to build a house that reflects his passions and demands for perfection. He finally succeeds in the end and it is really grotesque.

My wife believes that there is enough real violence in the world without us having to make and watch movies about it but I find it interesting to dive to the depths of human depravity now and again from the safety of my couch to understand what is possible.

The copy we received from Netflix was the directors cut and it included an interview with the director/writer Lars Von Tier. Seeing and hearing him talk about the film and others was almost as unnerving as the movie was. I would liken him and his attachment to his work portraying a sociopath to Stephen King and his horror writings. They both look the part.

Old 03-09-2020, 07:42 PM

5,654 posts, read 6,233,450 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2mares View Post
LOL, I'm a horror movie fan and this was my first thought too.

But seriously, no, movies don't make people kill people. To the extent that someone feels that Natural Born Killers or some other movie set them off, they were at that triggering point already and if it weren't he movie would have been something else, perhaps a mass shooting or a personal tragedy. I truly cannot believe that a movie - even multiple movies - create killers out of people that aren't somehow predisposed to that for some other reason. To see movies as the "culprit" is taking the easy way out in some respects - its easier taking the time to figure out why people decide to take that turn.

Old 03-10-2020, 02:20 AM

5,428 posts, read 3,508,203 times
In and out of itself? No. Of course, people who are predisposed to commit acts of violence will do so regardless of the type of media in question.Video games have also long been the subject of scrutiny for decades, yet no substantial evidence has been provided regarding their alleged danger.

Old 03-10-2020, 05:14 AM

4,430 posts, read 2,718,922 times
The phenomenon of copycat crimes - whether that being copied is a movie, a TV show, a novel, news reports, etc. - is well-documented.

So?

I mean, no one invents the idea of robbing a bank. They know about the concept of robbing banks from fiction and reports on the news.

So, what to do?

Nothing.

Seriously, the biggest source of inspiration to would-be criminals is probably the real world, as revealed in news coverage. Does anyone seriously want journalism (which isn't even any sort of organized entity, but hundreds of thousands of individuals, many of them independent contractors and many of the rest in competition against one another, as free markets go) being the arbiters of which crimes the public gets to know about?

And why the focus on films? Has Romeo and Juliet ever inspired a suicide? Very likely. Did Kojak or The A-Team ever inspire a crime or some act of monumental stupidity? Very likely.

The answer strikes me as simultaneously both quite obvious and quite irrelevant.

Old 03-10-2020, 07:35 AM

13,261 posts, read 8,049,284 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Milky Way Resident View Post
In and out of itself? No. Of course, people who are predisposed to commit acts of violence will do so regardless of the type of media in question.Video games have also long been the subject of scrutiny for decades, yet no substantial evidence has been provided regarding their alleged danger.

And let's not forget song lyrics. Remember the filthy fifteen, back in the 80's? Although that was more about sex, drugs and rock n roll, as opposed to violence.

Old 03-10-2020, 07:46 AM

952 posts, read 324,745 times
Quote:

Clearly the miserable lifestyle that most killers have been raised in has much more to do with it than any movie.

Old 03-10-2020, 08:30 AM

13,261 posts, read 8,049,284 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by unfailing presence View Post
Clearly the miserable lifestyle that most killers have been raised in has much more to do with it than any movie.

Yeah...I think this is the crux of it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates