Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-24-2017, 10:36 AM

18,526 posts, read 18,735,742 times

Advertisements

I was watching an ad on telly today , a charity pleading for help with Ewan McGregor to help the children of Africa who have no clean water to drink , showing the brutality of the situation...Now Im 70 years old but when at primary school aged five we were shown films of poor starving children with no clean drinking water in Africa and were told to save foil lids from milk bottles to help them.. how this helps I dont know but we all cleaned the milk bottle tops and put them on a string until we had loads and they were sent off to help..we were also asked for old toys etc.. which we all did.... but its been over 65 years and nothing seems to have changed at all for these people.. All the Band Aids, Oxfam and other charities who gave millions along with workers to put in standpipes for fresh water seems still to be a major problem in the country....Is it their lousy leaders that cause this or another issue... Id love to know as how much money is needed to try and help and save these poor people...

Old 10-24-2017, 10:47 AM

4,345 posts, read 2,791,557 times
My opinion: misgovernance and corruption. Many countries are just badly run. In others the leaders take for themselves aid that was meant for some purpose, or steal resources or product the people developed.

Sometimes the problem is the aid itself because is suppresses local industry.

Old 10-24-2017, 11:06 AM

4,320 posts, read 5,135,608 times
Inconsistent or limited natural resources and often degraded environments. Man-made climate change is slamming many countries in Africa making it hard to make a living. Huge lakes (for fishing) are completely dried up and growing crops is risky if at all possible in many places.

And of course, corrupt, selfish leaders, rapacious neo-colonialists like China, too many groups that don't mix/work together, brain-drain, etc.

It's never been easy developing areas in Africa, may as well be Antarctica compared to Europe and North America.

Old 10-24-2017, 11:37 AM

50,770 posts, read 24,270,853 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Troyfan View Post
My opinion: misgovernance and corruption. Many countries are just badly run. In others the leaders take for themselves aid that was meant for some purpose, or steal resources or product the people developed.

Sometimes the problem is the aid itself because is suppresses local industry.
I think you're heading in the right direction.

I lived in Thailand for a couple of years -- yes, I know, not Africa -- and I quickly came to the conclusion that Americans have no concept of what corruption really is, and how endemic it can be in the 2nd and 3rd worlds. It permeates everyday life.

The one thing I would add which is, apparently, very true in parts or all of Africa is -- I mean this literally -- tribalism. It was rampant, for example, in South Africa in Nelson Mandela's time. I am reading Trevor Noah's autobiography right now, and although one wouldn't expect it, it probably tells the story of tribalism (and apartheid) better than most sources from an everyday perspective, rather than only from a political perspective. Any idea of uniting many African nation's citizenry seems bound to collapse.

Old 10-24-2017, 11:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Back to NE View Post
Inconsistent or limited natural resources and often degraded environments. Man-made climate change is slamming many countries in Africa making it hard to make a living. Huge lakes (for fishing) are completely dried up and growing crops is risky if at all possible in many places.

And of course, corrupt, selfish leaders, rapacious neo-colonialists like China, too many groups that don't mix/work together, brain-drain, etc.

It's never been easy developing areas in Africa, may as well be Antarctica compared to Europe and North America.
I would disagree with "limited natural resources". I doubt any continent has more abundant natural resources.

Old 10-24-2017, 11:57 AM

12,200 posts, read 7,218,105 times
All the above answers are just excuses. I hate to say it but race makes a big difference. Many non-African countries have suffered worse in terms of war, poverty, colonialism and natural disasters but yet have built themselves up and are now thriving.

There is not ONE black or black dominant country that you can say is a success. Ironically, South Africa was built up by the “racist” whites but since it has reverted back to black rule, it has fallen to lawlessness and decline. Not a coincidence.

Of course what I said is not politically correct and so no doubt I will get a lot of hateful replies and the usual excuses for why black majority countries are not successful.

P.s. LOL at the comment blaming China for Africa’s problem. China is one of the main reasons many African countries even have a semi-respectable, modern infrastructure.

Old 10-24-2017, 11:59 AM
bg7

7,694 posts, read 10,555,912 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by antinimby View Post
All the above answers are just excuses. I hate to say it but race makes a big difference. Many non-African countries have suffered worse in terms of war, poverty, colonialism and natural disasters but yet have built themselves up and are now thriving.

There is not ONE black or black dominant country that you can say is a success. Ironically, South Africa was built up by the “racist” whites but since it has reverted back to black rule, it has fallen to lawlessness and decline.

Of course what I said is not politically correct and so no doubt I will get a lot of hateful replies and more excuses for why black majority countries are not successful.
Culture is not race.

Old 10-24-2017, 12:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bg7 View Post
Culture is not race.
There are many different black cultures. They all however have one common denominator: poverty and strife.

But let’s not dare talk about race because our current society teaches us that all races are equal. Yeah, just keep believing it.

Old 10-24-2017, 12:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by antinimby View Post

There is not ONE black or black dominant country that you can say is a success. Ironically, South Africa was built up by the “racist” whites but since it has reverted back to black rule, it has fallen to lawlessness and decline. Not a coincidence.

Of course what I said is not politically correct and so no doubt I will get a lot of hateful replies and the usual excuses for why black majority countries are not successful.

P.s. LOL at the comment blaming China for Africa’s problem. China is one of the main reasons many African countries even have a semi-respectable, modern infrastructure.
Which doesn't explain why the U.S. states with the most dominant White political systems are among the poorest in our country.

Old 10-24-2017, 12:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by phetaroi View Post
Which doesn't explain why the U.S. states with the most dominant White political systems are among the poorest in our country.
It doesn’t explain it because that has nothing to do with why black dominant countries always perform poorly.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates