Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-18-2018, 07:55 PM

24,977 posts, read 9,718,668 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by exm View Post
It's a know fact that there's a difference in IQ between anatomically modern humans. You're not allowed to say this because of PC, but isn't the explanation simply that the higher the IQ, the quicker and more advanced a race develops?
IQ tests are largely flawed and culturally biased.
Quote:
While there is some consensus about how to define intelligence, it is not universally accepted that it is something that can be unequivocally measured by a single figure. A recurring criticism is that different societies value and promote different kinds of skills and that the concept of intelligence is therefore culturally variable and cannot be measured by the same criteria in different societies.[
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Race_and_intelligence

Old 09-18-2018, 08:49 PM

1,553 posts, read 2,471,056 times
Civilzations will rise and fall.

Just look at Europe in the 1300s. While Europe was suffering the black death, the Muslim world was the sophisticated region while Europe was seen as "backwards."

Old 09-18-2018, 10:02 PM

1,553 posts, read 2,471,056 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocko20 View Post

IQ is largely based on environmental factors.

For example, Japanese and Koreans in the US have about the same IQ.

However there is a big gap in IQ between the Japanese and Koreans living in Japan because the Koreans face a lot of discrimination there.

It is the same with white Catholics and Protestants in the US versus white Catholics and white Protestants in Ireland too.

Old 09-19-2018, 06:41 AM

4,345 posts, read 2,819,289 times
Quote:

The IQ test was developed by a Frenchman. The race that tests highest on it is the Oriental.

If it were culturally biased it would be tilted toward the propensities of the French race. They would do best. Perhaps other white races would be next. But some of them do better than the French, others do worse.

It is a race of which Binet can have had only inconsequential knowledge, no experience, and only superficial affinity that does the best on it.

It is beyond belief that a test can be biased in favor of a race about which the developer knows nothing.

Old 09-19-2018, 06:50 AM

102,441 posts, read 108,851,375 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by homenj View Post
Civilzations will rise and fall.

Just look at Europe in the 1300s. While Europe was suffering the black death, the Muslim world was the sophisticated region while Europe was seen as "backwards."
Europe was also starving during some of that time, according to the latest research on ice cores in the alps. Where was the Arab world getting its food? There was a collapse of agriculture in Europe, for awhile, due to climate change; it was the onset of the "Little Ice Age", in the 1300's.

Old 09-19-2018, 07:37 AM

35,544 posts, read 17,446,313 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lodestar View Post
What about the personality trait of "drive?" If the theory that we all originated in an area of Africa is correct then there must have been some difference between the people who left to find new places and those who chose to stay behind.
There's something to that I believe. One of the theories about why the Jewish people punch above their weight is that the ones that moved fast, in the germinal stages of persecutions, fared a lot better than the ones who stayed behind. In other words they survived.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lodestar View Post
Or was it simply circumstantial and the changes developed later because of the move?
As I pointed out above (link), that as well. I am a bit of a "climate determinist" and believe that temperate settings lend themselves to higher achievement.

Old 09-19-2018, 08:13 AM

16,248 posts, read 10,962,558 times
It is a mixed bag. I'd not claim any superiority for any racial group over the millennia since our information is based on a biased, incomplete, and faulty understanding of history. In recent generations, our measures of success show some impressive accomplishments for the broad "white race" possibly due to the rise of capitalism. Of course, those are measures created and perpetuated by the "white race" which might be an issue. (You might enjoy reading "The Mystery of Capital: Why Capitalism Triumphs in the West and Fails Everywhere Else" by Hernando De Soto.)

Old 09-19-2018, 11:08 AM

12,206 posts, read 8,608,679 times
I think we have difficulty conceptualizing the scope of historical flow and that most of us try to perceive through the lens of our modern biases. That creates a lot of misinterpretation.

Old 09-19-2018, 11:47 AM
Status: "BAGA - Be a Great American: Expose far-right lies daily" (set 6 days ago)

11,318 posts, read 7,348,041 times
Once upon a time, whities were so successful

Old 09-19-2018, 02:05 PM
exm

3,750 posts, read 1,816,145 times
Quote:
Well, if the white race is considered a failure I’d hate to know what you consider my black race. I can recognize the historical accomplishments of Anglo Saxon people without worshipping them.

With that being said, the current corruptive and developing countries of Russia and most of Eastern Europe have proven that some Anglo saxons still have a long way to go as far as global social progress. I mean, would you really want to live in Ukraine or Serbia?

But at the end of the day, other demographics would benefit greatly by utilizing the blue print laid out by both east Asians and Whites. And by blueprint I mean common principles both have used to largely better themselves and their communities. Rule of law, education, hard work, self-discipline, self- determination, trust in free market capitalism, etc.

The same can be said about developing countries in Africa. I think Zimbabwe is a good example.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates