Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-14-2014, 11:29 PM

28,226 posts, read 36,910,431 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Occifer View Post
The other big issue is that taxis must pick up everyone, anywhere, and take them wherever they want to go. A taxi driver doesn't get to pick and choose his customers based upon their race, sex, residence, or their history of tipping. They must pick up everyone and must take them wherever they want to go. They also must do it for an established rate. That's not the way it is with Uber and Lyft. Their drivers get to pick and choose their customers, avoiding the less desirable ones who don't tip and also avoiding the more seedy areas of town. Their rates can also change based upon demand, which isn't the case for a taxi. I'm also waiting for the day an Uber driver refuses to transport someone's service animal and the company (and the driver) gets sued into oblivion.
Try getting a cab if you are a tall black male. Or live in the wrong neighborhood. Cabs don't come.

I take uber semi-often. My city pretty much has zero cab stands. They aren't near my home. I can grab an uber in 5 minutes or less. San Francisco (the first uber city) is notoriously difficult to find a cab in. Especially in the "outer neighborhoods." Uber is both more reliable and easier to get.

Quote:
I get the point behind services such as Uber, but they should also be held to the same regulatory standards as regular taxis and their drivers. There are legitimate reasons that the taxi industry became a regulated industry pretty much everywhere. One of the reasons was to avoid discrimination, which is exactly what Uber and Lyft cater to. People with bad ratings (for whatever reason it may be due to) don't get rides.
Too bad regulation didn't work. Taxis discriminate often if you live in the wrong neighborhood or are the wrong ethnicity.

Here is a good first person story. http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/...g.html?hpid=z4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atlwarrior View Post
Taxi must pick up anyone, that's hillarious their are countless of people who say that taxis don't even arrive sometimes. Also if your are a certain ethnic group, taxis will drive right pass you. Bottom line taxis need to change their business model or die.
Yup. If there was a taxi app that solved payment and availability I'd use it. Most uber drivers do not know the places they are driving, cab drivers usually do.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-14-2014, 11:50 PM

5,177 posts, read 4,796,609 times
I spent a couple of hours on the phone with my middle son, the one I referenced in an earlier post. He is working on extracting himself from Uber, and going back to Yellow.

A few weeks ago he convinced my oldest son to join Uber. #1 is happy with Uber because he hasnt had a steady job in a couple of years and doesnt mind getting screwed by the Uber compensation package. #2 is unhappy with with recent changes in Uber compensation and is working to extricate himself from Uber.

Now, as a customer, you dont care about Uber compensation. I can tell you, the drivers DO care. My opinion, based upon my conversations with my Uber driving sons, is that Uber leaves something to desire. Do people really think that all is well when the employees are being screwed? Do people get it that their Iphone is being manufactured by slaves in China?

Old 09-15-2014, 06:48 AM

11,226 posts, read 8,315,761 times
I drive for Uber and Lyft on the side (regular professional job during the day).

Been with Uber for a couple months, and Lyft a very short time. Yes, I think Uber "kinda" screws their drivers with the comp package and a bunch of other things, but it's a choice, and I choose to drive for them, so I don't complain. When it's not worth it, I'll stop. (Nobody should feel sorry for me, I made a choice). Lyft seems to be a little more focused on EVERYONE's happiness in my short experience with them. I hope the do well in the long-run, and that good wins out.

As for the regulation comments: You get a better rate, and less regulation. The market will decide if it is worth it or not. If people start getting bad service, they will not come back. If there are rampant reports of drunk drivers, wrecks, or other personal harm, the brand will take a hit and loose demand. If people continue to get better rides for a better price, without problem, then the market will dictate that they succeed. It's that simple. If the regs on Taxi's are justified, it will all come out in the market.

I'm interested in AirBnB next. Probably more as a client than a host, but who knows. I like these models, it seems a win for all. If it's not a win, then people won't come back, and that too is a win...

Old 09-15-2014, 11:18 AM

5,177 posts, read 4,796,609 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Myghost View Post
I drive for Uber and Lyft on the side (regular professional job during the day).

Been with Uber for a couple months, and Lyft a very short time. Yes, I think Uber "kinda" screws their drivers with the comp package and a bunch of other things, but it's a choice, and I choose to drive for them, so I don't complain. When it's not worth it, I'll stop. (Nobody should feel sorry for me, I made a choice). Lyft seems to be a little more focused on EVERYONE's happiness in my short experience with them. I hope the do well in the long-run, and that good wins out.

As for the regulation comments: You get a better rate, and less regulation. The market will decide if it is worth it or not. If people start getting bad service, they will not come back. If there are rampant reports of drunk drivers, wrecks, or other personal harm, the brand will take a hit and loose demand. If people continue to get better rides for a better price, without problem, then the market will dictate that they succeed. It's that simple. If the regs on Taxi's are justified, it will all come out in the market.

I'm interested in AirBnB next. Probably more as a client than a host, but who knows. I like these models, it seems a win for all. If it's not a win, then people won't come back, and that too is a win...
My bet is that you drive your own car, which is way different from driving a leased car from a partner. The real difference is driving for incremental income versus driving for making a living.

Old 09-15-2014, 12:04 PM

12,969 posts, read 28,462,187 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Myghost View Post
I like these models, it seems a win for all. If it's not a win, then people won't come back, and that too is a win...
But is it a win for ALL? In many cities taxi fees and taxes and hotel taxes are important revenue streams to local government. Disruptive technologies in these areas can wreck government budgets.

At a time of increased tourist traffic (at last!) Hawai'i is dealing with major budget shortfalls because so many people are switching from hotels to airbnb and VRBO and the like for their accommodations, and the landlords are failing to collect or pay the legally required sales and hotel taxes. This winds up being unfair to the normal beneficiaries of those funds.

In cities where taxi service is poor, Uber or Lyft can provide a valuable upgrade in the quality of local transportation, but they should be paying the same fees and taxes as the franchised cab companies pay.

Old 09-19-2014, 01:56 AM

6,398 posts, read 6,288,505 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chuckmann View Post
Do people really think that all is well when the employees are being screwed? Do people get it that their Iphone is being manufactured by slaves in China?
Ask those who shop at Walmart.

ALL phones are made overseas. If i had a choice, personally I'd buy one that wasn't

Old 12-15-2014, 01:26 PM

3,718 posts, read 5,701,279 times
Are both regulation and insurance the answer to solving the issues with Uber?

Old 12-17-2014, 08:29 PM

6,977 posts, read 5,717,716 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spikett View Post
I agree. And many of the Uber drivers are just doing this on the side to earn a few extra bucks. Unlike taxi drivers, they have no reason not to break the rules. They could be drinking, etc. They get fired, no big deal. And not having a commercial DL or insurance is just a disaster waiting to happen. There are already lawsuits and complaints. One lawsuit involves violation of the ADA.

I'd never get into a car with a person who had not gone through the background checks, commercial licensing, and insurance requirements for a commercial driver.

More Bad News for Uber: Driver Arrested in Los Angeles Rape Case - The Daily Beast

Why Uber And Airbnb Might Be In Big Trouble - Forbes
So here's what i don't understand. If an Uber driver commits a crime, why is that different from a regular taxi driver committing the same crime? It a regular taxi driver does something bad, people aren't going to blame all taxi drivers and suggest that taking a taxi is unsafe....why is it different for Uber? People who commit crimes are criminals, they could work for a regular taxi service or they can work for Uber.

What am i missing?

Old 12-18-2014, 09:08 AM

1,423 posts, read 1,628,205 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wall st kid View Post
So here's what i don't understand. If an Uber driver commits a crime, why is that different from a regular taxi driver committing the same crime? It a regular taxi driver does something bad, people aren't going to blame all taxi drivers and suggest that taking a taxi is unsafe....why is it different for Uber? People who commit crimes are criminals, they could work for a regular taxi service or they can work for Uber.

What am i missing?
Uber's background checks are basically useless. They dont do any fingerprinting.
I'm a Las Vegas cab driver, and I can assure you, I went through a LOT to get my job.
FBI fingerprinting, state/local/federal checks, urine sample, hair sample, full DMV driver history verification.
Every cab in Las Vegas also has a camera in it... So everything we do is being recorded, as well as what our passengers do.
All of our cabs are also equipped with tracking devices...
With Uber... You're on your own.

A story out of India was just released a few days ago describing an Uber driver who was arrested for rape accusations. Uber let him continue to drive. Three days later, he raped and beat one of his passengers.

LA did an interesting investigation a while back about Uber's background checks. The news crew brought in a female who had a massive rap sheet. Assaults, burglaries... They had her apply to become an Uber driver and see was accepted. She told the news crew that if she was driving for Uber and took someone to the airport, she would immediately go back to the house and clean it out.

There is also the drunk driving issue with Uber. Before I get my cab every day, I have to check in with 2-3 different managers.
With Uber, you're sitting at home, deciding you want a few extra bucks and hit the road, no questions asked.

Old 12-18-2014, 06:06 PM

7,541 posts, read 10,269,637 times
I drove Yellow cab here in Pittsburgh back in the 90's, moonlighting while doing my regular full time day job.

I see Uber and the other ride sharers as the wave of the future, it will be very difficult to get a cab in the future.

In the cab business, the cab companies lease their vehicles, providing maintenance, insurance, towing service, dispatch services for the money that the drivers pay.

In the ride sharing business, Uber et al just provide dispatching--and they take just about the same from the drivers for just that single service. The cost of providing and maintaining the vehicles all gets borne by the driver out of his share.

Seems like an easy choice for transportation companies- the ride sharing model provides virtually the same revenues without buying a single car, hiring a single mechanic or tow driver or leasing a garage or lot.

Further, its a harder deal for the drivers as far as the money they do earn. No tips, lower fares, and a paper trail for the IRS and child support court.

Its positive for the companies who came up with this, a tougher deal for someone looking to earn a living by driving.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates