Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-01-2014, 09:59 AM

5,205 posts, read 4,703,373 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by theatergypsy View Post
I have mulled over this issue and while I feel for the plight of any hungry person, I also respect the right of any business to make rules governing the behavior (and actions) of their employees.

Yes, the employee in question is a veteran. So, too, are many of those who are living on the streets and scavenging for food. But the rule is in place for reasons. That's plural.

Probably the first is, giving away food without authorization is against the rule.
Second would have to be the line of hungry people who would be at the door "knowing" that CB is giving away muffins. Cracker Barrel is in the business of feeding hungry people - who have the money to pay for it.
Third would be the harm that could be done if the person who ate the muffin got sick and claimed it was because he ate the muffin. Predatory lawyers have dreams about such clients.

It irritates me to see people who park in the Fire Lane to run into the Dollar Store ("I'll just be a minute"). Or people who refuse to put their empty cart away ("The store has people to do that"). Or people who want money so they go into the bank and rob it ("The bank has plenty of money").

I may not like the rules the boss has set down, but by accepting his paycheck, I'm agreeing to abide by them. Or seek work elsewhere. Perhaps in a soup kitchen where they give away food all the time.
As a vet, he should know the importance of rules for a large organization. Yes, they may seem dumb in specific situations but rules are in place to keep order. I still can't remember the day when I reported to basic training and they dismissed us all while telling us, no more training, everyone just use your best judgement.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-02-2014, 02:55 PM

28,226 posts, read 37,042,756 times
I think Cracker Barrel was likely in the right here. It is a pretty delicate balance, but where I live. If one guy gives out food, you better believe the homeless guy will come in daily and tell their friends.

My sister one time gave a homeless guy a snack near her office. Another time she got him a coffee. A few weeks later he started harassing her and demanded that she buy him breakfast.

I would have been much better if cracker barrel came up with a waste policy, and the worker advised the homeless guy when they pickings were good.

Old 07-03-2014, 02:54 PM

3,025 posts, read 2,289,342 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shadowne View Post
It is theft, no matter the intentions. The muffin was not his to give away. Employees are fired every day for this kind of theft.
Those muffins are not even on the menu they are free so I am not sure you can call giving something that is given away free theft. They probably also only cost less then .50 make but the real issue is that the company cares more about profits then helping someone else.

Old 07-03-2014, 05:10 PM

4,858 posts, read 7,649,452 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Storm Eagle View Post
...but the real issue is that the company cares more about profits then helping someone else.

Of course. Profits are the reason they're in business to begin with. They're not in the business of helping people.

And let's not pretend that profits are the only reason employees aren't allowed to give away product.

Old 07-23-2014, 09:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jade408 View Post
I think Cracker Barrel was likely in the right here. It is a pretty delicate balance, but where I live. If one guy gives out food, you better believe the homeless guy will come in daily and tell their friends.

My sister one time gave a homeless guy a snack near her office. Another time she got him a coffee. A few weeks later he started harassing her and demanded that she buy him breakfast.

I would have been much better if cracker barrel came up with a waste policy, and the worker advised the homeless guy when they pickings were good.
What about food businesses that give out free samples? Is that not also not giving out free food? So how come businesses can afford to give out free food but CB can't?

Old 07-23-2014, 10:18 PM

4,858 posts, read 7,649,452 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Storm Eagle View Post
What about food businesses that give out free samples? Is that not also not giving out free food? So how come businesses can afford to give out free food but CB can't?

They give away free samples to draw business, in hopes that you buy some, and become a repeat customer..Everyone knows this. Even you.

Old 07-24-2014, 12:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dport7674 View Post
They give away free samples to draw business, in hopes that you buy some, and become a repeat customer..Everyone knows this. Even you.
So would not if look good for the company if word got around that they gave food to a homeless vet? Whether to draw in business or not it is still giving away food and I am sure they give away much more then a muffin.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates