Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-08-2014, 09:55 AM

11,157 posts, read 13,999,826 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephen1110 View Post
Racism entails power, prejudice, and oppression.

To say minorities can be racist against Whites, is racist in and of itself, because its veils the experience of minorities, in favor of the experience of whites.

Everyone one can be prejudice, and we all can discriminate - which is acting on that prejudice - but minorities can not oppress whites, therefore can not be racist.

So the act of or propensity to engage in "oppression" is inherent to whites?

Old 07-11-2014, 01:52 AM

7,300 posts, read 6,731,683 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by iknowftbll View Post

Hmm... I'm trying to think of a country in which it's the whites who are the underclass, and blacks who are their overlords, where whites are the ones kept out of jobs and politics, where whites were taken for slavery, or any of the issues we have found in blacks, but I frankly haven't had any success yet finding that country.

I'll post the moment I come up with one though!

Old 07-11-2014, 08:18 AM

2,294 posts, read 2,779,430 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Saritaschihuahua View Post
Hmm... I'm trying to think of a country in which it's the whites who are the underclass, and blacks who are their overlords, where whites are the ones kept out of jobs and politics, where whites were taken for slavery, or any of the issues we have found in blacks, but I frankly haven't had any success yet finding that country.

I'll post the moment I come up with one though!
If you're really attempting to use that logic to argue that white's are the only ones who are racist, then the answer is simply because blacks are inherently violent and spend too much time raping and kidnapping each other in Africa while whites stay out. After all, I can't think of any country where whites can just storm into town and kidnap 60+ girls and get away with it. If the logic can be used against whites, it's valid against blacks.

Oh wait, that's not a sound argument because the lack of something happening doesn't mean it can't happen. The fact that no black person had ever been president prior to Obama didn't mean the ability to be president was something inherent to whites. The fact that we haven't had a female president doesn't mean it's something inherent to men. And perhaps the best example, the fact that we've never had an atheist president doesn't mean the ability to be president is inherent to religious people.

As for the oppression argument itself, there are also plenty of Asian countries where they are the majority class. Try walking into North Korea and see who's in charge there. Or are you saying it's Blacks vs the Rest of the World and Asian's are considered white?

No matter how you spin this, the argument is invalid.

Old 07-11-2014, 02:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeo123 View Post
If you're really attempting to use that logic to argue that white's are the only ones who are racist, then the answer is simply because blacks are inherently violent and spend too much time raping and kidnapping each other in Africa while whites stay out. After all, I can't think of any country where whites can just storm into town and kidnap 60+ girls and get away with it. If the logic can be used against whites, it's valid against blacks.
Africa is not a country. It's a continent of countries. Which country in Africa were you referring to specifically?

White U.S. has a long history of violence that goes all the way back to when the immigrants landed here and stole the land from the native people, and continued on through everything from humiliating and enslaving humans, denying them food, torture, beatings, rapings, burnings of homes, lynchings, shootings, kidnappings, and eventually discrimination and denial of jobs, and every sort of equal opportunity, etc.

Quote:
The fact that no black person had ever been president prior to Obama didn't mean the ability to be president was something inherent to whites. The fact that we haven't had a female president doesn't mean it's something inherent to men. And perhaps the best example, the fact that we've never had an atheist president doesn't mean the ability to be president is inherent to religious people.
True, since humans are born with brains, and even genius I.Q.s are present in all races, religions, etc. and not confined to one race, one religion, etc. The reason we had not had a black or a woman president (or a proportionately equivalent number of wealthy and powerful people, politicians, businessmen, etc.) has been due to the rabid racism and discrimination against blacks and women in this country.

Quote:
As for the oppression argument itself
The oppression argument is not an argument. It's fact.

Old 07-11-2014, 03:16 PM

Quote:
Africa is not a country. It's a continent of countries. Which country in Africa were you referring to specifically?

White U.S. has a long history of violence that goes all the way back to when the immigrants landed here and stole the land from the native people, and continued on through everything from humiliating and enslaving humans, denying them food, torture, beatings, rapings, burnings of homes, lynchings, shootings, kidnappings, and eventually discrimination and denial of jobs, and every sort of equal opportunity, etc.

True, since humans are born with brains, and even genius I.Q.s are present in all races, religions, etc. and not confined to one race, one religion, etc. The reason we had not had a black or a woman president (or a proportionately equivalent number of wealthy and powerful people, politicians, businessmen, etc.) has been due to the rabid racism and discrimination against blacks and women in this country.

The oppression argument is not an argument. It's fact.
I'm well aware that Africa is not a country. I also wasn't aware that I was expected to provide a country for you. If you really need a country example for my facetious example of saying certain "evil" traits are confined a certain race in a certain country, then take Nigera. However that was far from my point. To assume that only Nigerians are capable of that is flawed.
Moderator cut: Against forum guidelines. Just to clarify things beyond all doubt. Is your argument is that the white race is the only race in the entire world capable of oppression? Because if that's what you're trying to state as "fact" then I'm sure there are plenty of people who can disagree with that.

Old 07-11-2014, 03:55 PM

Quote:
I'm well aware that Africa is not a country. I also wasn't aware that I was expected to provide a country for you. If you really need a country example for my facetious example of saying certain "evil" traits are confined a certain race in a certain country, then take Nigera. However that was far from my point. To assume that only Nigerians are capable of that is flawed.
My point was to make it clear that Africa is not a country. However, now you're signaling out Nigerians are evil. Fact is, there are no people on the planet who are born genetically evil. There are lifestyle systems, ideologies, political policies, and philosophies which can be termed "evil." But people? Nope. Humans are made up of organs, blood, bone, and brains, and all infants are born as blank slates. People become influenced by what surrounds them, and soon they behave like what surrounds them.

Quote:
Just to clarify things beyond all doubt. Is your argument is that the white race is the only race in the entire world capable of oppression? Because if that's what you're trying to state as "fact" then I'm sure there are plenty of people who can disagree with that.
No. I'm merely pointing out that in the U.S. there is a history of white savagery against non-whites. Does that mean that white babies are born evil? Of course not. But neither are Nigerian babies born evil. The systems are evil, and it is up to us to change the systems.

Old 07-11-2014, 04:29 PM

Quote:
My point was to make it clear that Africa is not a country. However, now you're signaling out Nigerians are evil. Fact is, there are no people on the planet who are born genetically evil. There are lifestyle systems, ideologies, political policies, and philosophies which can be termed "evil." But people? Nope. Humans are made up of organs, blood, bone, and brains, and all infants are born as blank slates. People become influenced by what surrounds them, and soon they behave like what surrounds them.
I'm not sure if you're misreading my posts, or intentionally trying to manipulate them by partial quoting.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeo123

Oh wait, that's not a sound argument...
You can't cut off a quote like that an act as if I was really trying to claim Nigerians were evil. I said that there was no country where whites could storm in and kidnap 60+ girls. You said you wanted a country, I said Nigeria just to make you quit arguing over the petty details while ignoring the bigger point.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeo123
If you really need a country example for my facetious example of saying certain "evil" traits are confined a certain race in a certain country, then take Nigera. However that was far from my point.
I did not intend for that to be taken seriously as I have pointed out multiple times.

Quote:
No. I'm merely pointing out that in the U.S. there is a history of white savagery against non-whites. Does that mean that white babies are born evil? Of course not. But neither are Nigerian babies born evil. The systems are evil, and it is up to us to change the systems.
I asked for clarification because in response to this question
Quote:
Originally Posted by iknowftball
Your response was essentially that you don't know of anywhere else it happens other than white america, implying that the originally posed question couldn't be argued against because there's no where else oppression like that occurs. That also implies that oppression is inherent to whites.

Reality is that there is a history of savagery of humans against humans. Europeans against Europeans, Africans against Africans, Asians against Asians. Human history is filled with wars, slavery, rapes, and brutality. To think that any of those things belong solely to one race is ignoring the atrocities committed by people everywhere.

Old 07-12-2014, 05:54 AM

2,007 posts, read 6,830,289 times
ALL races have large percents of racist people, whether in their minds or coming out of their mouths and hands....

Old 07-12-2014, 08:18 AM

2,939 posts, read 4,125,528 times
Quote:
To think that any of those things belong solely to one race is ignoring the atrocities committed by people everywhere.
That's pretty much all there is to it.

And to suggest that those things belong solely to one race is pretty much the definition of racism that was put up in the OP.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jade408 View Post
There is a difference between racial prejudice and actual racism. -isms require control and power, not just a belief.
A policy or an action or an attitude doesn't need to be successful to be racist. These neo-nazis who pop up in the news from time to time don't control anything and probably have no real power over any aspect of their lives but it doesn't make them any less racist.

Quote:
Al Sharpton may hate white people, but his opinion doesn't actually hurt white people in an substantive way. Most people think he is just a crazypots.
Al Sharpton might be a little crazy but I don't think he hates white people.

Last edited by Oldhag1; 07-12-2014 at 02:54 PM.. Reason: Merged

Old 07-13-2014, 07:51 AM

2,865 posts, read 3,630,500 times
YES!! And some individuals definitely are. To claim that they cannot be denies them human emotions and thus makes them super human saying they do not possess the emotional capability to be prejudice against others. And I know from personal experience that this is NOT true. Moderator cut: Off topic

Last edited by Oldhag1; 07-13-2014 at 08:55 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates