Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-06-2011, 04:15 AM

746 posts, read 1,679,222 times

Advertisements

Not talking about a North American Union NWO style in the traditional sense

I'm talking specifically about Canada and the USA - sorry Mexico. I just think Ca/us is much closer culturally/economically, and mexico is a little too far off the radar.

Would a system a la the EU work for north America?

I personally think it would be of at least some benefit, with some definite drawbacks. We are so similar in many ways, yet with some very different aspects in day to day life.
From the people I have talked with, it's a very polarizing subject. There are people on both sides of the line that are fiercely loyal to their respective flags, and people that would welcome it.
I think that with Canada's better education system, USA economic power, and a shared public-private health system, a unified north America could be a global powerhouse.
There are 307 million Yanks, 34 million Canucks, for 341,000,000 people. To me it would make a little sense, maybe populate a little more of the great white north...? Would we see great migrations northward, or a lot of Cdn's flocking to the south?
Thinking about this, it seems like we are so much alike, and really we all pray to the same almighty dollar anyways....
I was just wondering what anyone else thought about this, either positives or negatives (and I know there are many!) Population shifts, crime, taxes, education, ....?

Apologize in advance if this has been discussed in depth already - I didn't find anything in a search
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-06-2011, 04:38 AM

727 posts, read 541,565 times
EU does not work. Do not put your moneys worthless systems like that.

Old 01-06-2011, 09:05 AM

964 posts, read 2,651,158 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The_gateway View Post
Not talking about a North American Union NWO style in the traditional sense

I'm talking specifically about Canada and the USA - sorry Mexico. I just think Ca/us is much closer culturally/economically, and mexico is a little too far off the radar.

Would a system a la the EU work for north America?

I personally think it would be of at least some benefit, with some definite drawbacks. We are so similar in many ways, yet with some very different aspects in day to day life.
From the people I have talked with, it's a very polarizing subject. There are people on both sides of the line that are fiercely loyal to their respective flags, and people that would welcome it.
I think that with Canada's better education system, USA economic power, and a shared public-private health system, a unified north America could be a global powerhouse.
There are 307 million Yanks, 34 million Canucks, for 341,000,000 people. To me it would make a little sense, maybe populate a little more of the great white north...? Would we see great migrations northward, or a lot of Cdn's flocking to the south?
Thinking about this, it seems like we are so much alike, and really we all pray to the same almighty dollar anyways....
I was just wondering what anyone else thought about this, either positives or negatives (and I know there are many!) Population shifts, crime, taxes, education, ....?

Apologize in advance if this has been discussed in depth already - I didn't find anything in a search
We'll take Rush, you can have the rest.

Old 01-06-2011, 09:21 AM

8,309 posts, read 38,826,558 times
A step in the direction of "Oceana", "Eurasia" and "Eastasia".

Old 01-06-2011, 09:56 AM

9,344 posts, read 14,964,620 times
I think it makes a lot of sense, however, I doubt a majority of Canadians would approve ???? I imagine US citizens would approve such a union, since there are more similarities than differences between us.

I also think there are US citizens would would like to see the northern tier of US states go with Canada and the southern tier secede from the union!

Old 01-06-2011, 10:55 AM

43,854 posts, read 51,311,760 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hollytree View Post

I also think there are US citizens would would like to see the northern tier of US states go with Canada and the southern tier secede from the union!
The southern tier wouldn't mind....but we're keeping Disney and the beaches.

Old 01-06-2011, 11:35 AM

15,370 posts, read 39,172,117 times
Might be a little tough to operate something that big....I would split it up the middle at the Mississippi river....

Old 01-06-2011, 09:14 PM

29,981 posts, read 43,006,066 times
In the OP's scenario does the USA get to keep her Constitution intact? The first two amendements are vitally important and rights Canada does not protect for her citizens.

Old 01-06-2011, 10:24 PM

3,295 posts, read 7,029,068 times
Probably not.

Funny thing, if I recall correctly, this question was the topic of an essay I had to write for my province's compulsory 10th grade literacy test when I took it in high school early on in the previous decade.

Old 01-07-2011, 12:04 AM

9 posts, read 49,955 times
uh, not really. yes, the two are similar but canada fought hard for independence and would probably lose it if the two joined that way.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates