Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting > Grandparents
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-18-2013, 10:58 AM

501 posts, read 933,727 times

Advertisements

My MIL has two kids. My spouse and I have one kid, my spouses sibling has a dog.

My MIL has decided that the dog is equally important in her life as our kid, and gives the dog lavish treatment. We're talking lots of gifts at Christmas, lavish spending, comments on Facebook about what the dog is doing, etc, etc.

Wondering if it is normal for grandparents to prioritize granddogs over grandchildren.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-18-2013, 12:48 PM

3,062 posts, read 7,037,201 times
Make sure that she isn't leaving her assets to the Guide Dogs or ASPCA.

Old 09-18-2013, 12:58 PM

1,472 posts, read 2,407,446 times
Have a Daughter in Law that hates Dogs but has one. I kept the Dog while they went on a trip. The Dog stayed with me for a month after they got home. They didn't call to check on him or nothing. I figured what the heck I have another Dog.

Well they finally came and got him. But she got mad at me for thinking of their Dog the same as a child.

This woman really hates Dogs.

brushrunner

Old 09-18-2013, 02:34 PM

6,497 posts, read 11,819,491 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by twoincomes View Post
My MIL has two kids. My spouse and I have one kid, my spouses sibling has a dog.

My MIL has decided that the dog is equally important in her life as our kid, and gives the dog lavish treatment. We're talking lots of gifts at Christmas, lavish spending, comments on Facebook about what the dog is doing, etc, etc.

Wondering if it is normal for grandparents to prioritize granddogs over grandchildren.
So, which is it? Why does it concern you? As long as your kid isn't being slighted, what's the problem?

Old 09-18-2013, 08:44 PM

19,480 posts, read 25,168,330 times
Quote:

I know many grandparents both with dogs of their own and grand dogs. Not one of them treats their dog/grand dog equal to their grandchild. IMHO. It is not normal.

Old 09-20-2013, 09:55 AM

14,294 posts, read 13,196,161 times
I will never understand people who think they are making the same the same kind of connection with a dog that they can with a human. Makes me wonder what their human relationships are like.

Old 09-20-2013, 02:09 PM

13,981 posts, read 25,965,387 times
Quote:

She isn't prioritizing the dog, she is recognizing that the dog is as important to your spouse's sibling as your child is to you.

I don't understand what this has to do with you at all. Her money, she can spend it where she wants. This is at least the 3rd thread your started to complain about your in-laws, and all the complaints have been trivial. I wonder how they feel about you.

Old 09-20-2013, 04:02 PM

334 posts, read 716,749 times
Quote:

No, it is not.

Old 09-21-2013, 05:12 AM

3,070 posts, read 5,234,400 times
I would not call that prioritizing, it just sounds like an empty nester spoiling her new 'baby'. If she was refusing to remove a dangerous dog around the child then yes, that would seem like prioritizing, but not this.

Old 09-21-2013, 09:53 AM

5,295 posts, read 5,241,552 times
Sounds like you're jealous of the dog. Get over it, its your MIL's money.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting > Grandparents