Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-15-2007, 07:04 PM

15 posts, read 211,258 times

Advertisements

Ok well, things fell through for Macon, GA. Went down a second time to look at homes and I just was unhappy. So, I found this very nice town of Lagrange. Has anyone on here heard of Dan-ric homes? That is the homes that I am thinking about buying. Is this a good builder to go through? It seems like this is a very nice area. Does it have good schools? I seen that is a small town feel and then minutes away you are at walmart and other amenities. What all does Lagrange have to offer? Activities, ect. Thanks in advance for all the info on Macon and I appreciate any info on Lagrange I can get.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-16-2007, 02:02 AM

160 posts, read 601,108 times
My family is from there. I don't know anything about the builders since
I haven't lived there in ages. It's a very small town feel. West Point Lake is the biggest thing to do there. Do some research about the schools and crime. All of my info is anecdotal, but it seems to be getting kinda bad as far as drugs etc. for kids. Depending on where you're coming from it's probably not as idyllic as it seems. I have since lived in New Orleans, SC, FL and Atlanta so I don't consider myself scared of crime or having high expectations of safety in this day and age. The Kia plant is supposedly coming close to the city in West Point. That's got everyone's hopes up about property values and jobs. Mills used to be a big industry and since some have closed it depressed the area imo. More chains have opened up on the parkaway in the last year so it's definitely up and coming and probably close to being an Atlanta suburb.

Old 06-19-2007, 07:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kelabu View Post
My family is from there. I don't know anything about the builders since
I haven't lived there in ages. It's a very small town feel. West Point Lake is the biggest thing to do there. Do some research about the schools and crime. All of my info is anecdotal, but it seems to be getting kinda bad as far as drugs etc. for kids. Depending on where you're coming from it's probably not as idyllic as it seems. I have since lived in New Orleans, SC, FL and Atlanta so I don't consider myself scared of crime or having high expectations of safety in this day and age. The Kia plant is supposedly coming close to the city in West Point. That's got everyone's hopes up about property values and jobs. Mills used to be a big industry and since some have closed it depressed the area imo. More chains have opened up on the parkaway in the last year so it's definitely up and coming and probably close to being an Atlanta suburb.
Thank you so much for your help. My husband and I were born and raised in Virginia Beach, VA so we are both used to crime, violence and such. The town just seemed like everyone was very kind and from where I am coming from kindness is a nice new thing. It seems like the stores are convienent. I mean from the town I think walmart and other bigger chains were like 11 miles away. So, that's not bad at all. Has the town ever gone under? I mean are they bringing it back to be nice or has it always been nice? I heard the Callaways are the ones that have put lots of money into this area. Is this true? Thanks so much!

Old 06-19-2007, 09:13 PM

160 posts, read 601,108 times
You're welcome! Hmmm, well probably not gone under per se. Neighborhoods that you probably wouldn't go to anyway fell into disrepair and became full of drug activity. Those are the ones that the city is going after now making owners repair homes and such. It's good on one hand because my grandmother has lived in a neighborhood like this. They have been there for 50 years and seen it go from a nice area to a scary one and now turning back again. On the other, the perils of gentrification are the same as any other city. Where will the poorer renters and homeowners go that can't afford to fix up their homes. Most of the city has always been pretty picturesque small town. The square is starting to get some new stores and they have holiday functions there that are nice and you don't have to pay for parking! That always amazes me when I go back. lol There aren't too many people from up north there yet so you will still have some good ol' Southern Hospitality and some backwardness sometimes too. You've got your major chain stores already. (You'll see the whole town come through Wal-Mart) I hear there's a Target coming, so soo you'll have just about all of them. Yes the Callaways are huge in town. Very old money. They owned the only mansion for a long time. I remember driving by there when I was little all the time trying to see through the gates. You'll see the Mallory, Lukken and Traylor name alot around town too.

If you haven't found it here's the city website. City of LaGrange

Old 06-19-2007, 09:20 PM

3 posts, read 13,084 times
Default My sister lives there

Hi, I lived in LaGrange about 15 years ago and my sister has been living there for probably the last 10 years. She has a dental practice there and she loves it! She has 4 children and seems happy with the elementary school that her children attend. I personally love the small town feel - I am in Alpharetta/Atlanta and it's just not the same. Seems that she and her husband know everyone....her kids will walk in the 4th of July parade, etc. As far as drugs - they are everywhere - I know, I have a teenage son and it's unbelievable.

I'd give LaGrange a shot - friendly people. I don't know about the builders - they are building a house right now on West Point Lake. I'll have to ask if she's heard of this builder.

Old 06-21-2007, 03:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomkatgirl View Post
Hi, I lived in LaGrange about 15 years ago and my sister has been living there for probably the last 10 years. She has a dental practice there and she loves it! She has 4 children and seems happy with the elementary school that her children attend. I personally love the small town feel - I am in Alpharetta/Atlanta and it's just not the same. Seems that she and her husband know everyone....her kids will walk in the 4th of July parade, etc. As far as drugs - they are everywhere - I know, I have a teenage son and it's unbelievable.

I'd give LaGrange a shot - friendly people. I don't know about the builders - they are building a house right now on West Point Lake. I'll have to ask if she's heard of this builder.
Thanks, I would appreciate it if you could ask about those builders. Moving is a big step but getting a bad home is a horrible step. I just want to know how there work is from someone who has owned a home that they have built! I am getting more and more excited everytime I hear something good about the area. I will hopefully be there right after christmas.Thanks again

Old 09-10-2007, 09:55 PM

39 posts, read 179,611 times
Default LaGange

I moved to LaGrange in March from Columbia, S.C. Have you moved here and if so how do you like it here? I am sorry to say I have been VERY unhappy here. ****gu3@aol.com

Old 09-11-2007, 01:40 AM
JLA

627 posts, read 2,188,225 times
That's a big change, from Columbia to LaGrange. I would give myself some time to get use the slower pace of the town. You are really in a nice location, just 45 minutes from Downtown Columbus and about 1 hour from Downtown Atlanta. If you prefer city living, then Columbus or Atlanta would be a better choice, but your cost of living will go up. People usually do not choose LaGrange because of its fast pace, on the contrary they are looking to slow down and enjoy a much slower pace.

Old 10-22-2007, 11:22 AM

39 posts, read 179,611 times
Where moving from? M email me ****gu3@aol.com. Live in LaG and tonight will try to answer any questions you have MF

Old 10-22-2007, 03:41 PM

1,178 posts, read 3,837,083 times
LaGrange has a nice square with little shops. However, I'm not a fan of the layout of the modern day retail. The historic area is rather nice, with a fair number of large, historic homes. The historic neighborhoods are rather beautiful. Moving toward the lake on the west side of LaGrange, the area is rather upscale (for LaGrange, anyhow), with nice wooded lots close to the water.

On the downside, the southside of LaGrange is rather "ghetto", full of broken-down houses, high crime, and poor retail (mostly black area).

The northside, particularly near Callaway High School and middle school, is nice, with mostly nice, well-kept middle class neighborhoods. The area isn't heavily developed, so it offers a lot of shade.

The mall is rather small, but I can't see LaGrange obtaining anything larger.

Beautiful Pine Mountain is nearby, just off to the southeast. It is home to Callaway Gardens.

Regarding the particular builder that you mentioned, I'm not informed to offer you any information.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia