Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-21-2009, 04:33 PM

8,862 posts, read 17,490,386 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by livefromfantasyland View Post
Love, love, love the visual. Would the ocean litterally be on one side of the town with swamp on the other?

Totally open to suggestions for universoty and town names!! What do you like?

Thank you!
The ocean is on the east coast.

Okefenokee Swamp - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-21-2009, 05:17 PM

23,466 posts, read 44,100,317 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MoreCowbell View Post
I also agree with this. Stuart Woods wrote a book called Chiefs about a fictional town (Delano) based on the town I live in now (Manchester.) That gives you license to change things around the way you need them to be and not be held to certain details.
Right...he also used the Greyfield Inn on Cumberland Island as the setting for his novel Palindrome. I love Stuart Woods.

Old 06-21-2009, 05:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aries4118 View Post
Great advice for the writer.

Maybe we could suggest names for the fact-based fictional Georgia town...???
Names that are indigineous to the GA coast and lowland:

Spalding
Altamaha
Demere
DuBignon
Satilla
Lanier
Frederica
King
Aiken
Hamilton
Harrington
Sunbury
Oglethorpe
Musgrove
Butler
Wesley
Gould
Kelvin Grove
Ashantilly

Most of these are either the names of rivers, plantations, and old families in the area.

Old 06-21-2009, 09:03 PM

8,057 posts, read 12,863,348 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MoreCowbell View Post
I also agree with this. Stuart Woods wrote a book called Chiefs about a fictional town (Delano) based on the town I live in now (Manchester.) That gives you license to change things around the way you need them to be and not be held to certain details.
Cowbell, you probably already know this, but does anyone else know the tie in with the name Delano and the city of Manchester and its environs?

Little clues like this would be good for your University and your town/city name. I like the idea of the city being in the southeastern portion of the state to tie in better with your theme. Brunswick could be the primary setting, using the port, the nearby islands, the marshes. Sydney Lanier's famous poem about the Marshes of Glynn could be used, maybe Sydney Lanier University..... some tie ins like that.

Pat Conroy has written extensively about the coastal regions in GA and SC.

Old 06-21-2009, 09:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saintmarks View Post
does anyone else know the tie in with the name Delano and the city of Manchester and its environs?
Stuart Woods was born in Manchester, GA. I'm guessing that 'Delano' is a nod to FDR, who was an important figure in the area and maintained a second home near there.

Old 06-21-2009, 09:18 PM

55 posts, read 88,300 times
Savannah

It's old.... it's simple yet beautiful... There are plenty of "haunted houses" but the majority of people who live there don't really believe in ghosts.

Other than some tourist attractions for spring and summer there's not much there

Only a few bars, a few restaurants and not one single club.

There are projects, old houses that have been passed down through the generations, newly renovated and just plain new mansions. Several of the houses have beautiful pink and yellow flowers growing on vines covering the entire front of the structure.

There are rivers that run beside the town, cobblestone streets, spanish moss hanging from the gigantic trees, large graveyards with stones put up on the brick walls around the graveyard due to being trampled over by soldiers during the war.

I don't think you could find a better fit....

but that's just my personal opinion

Old 06-21-2009, 10:00 PM

1,941 posts, read 9,241,620 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tiffany_ga View Post

i think the author would be regarded as having no sense of originality by choosing savannah as the setting.

poor choice in my opinion.

Old 06-21-2009, 10:00 PM

8,057 posts, read 12,863,348 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LovinDecatur View Post
Stuart Woods was born in Manchester, GA. I'm guessing that 'Delano' is a nod to FDR, who was an important figure in the area and maintained a second home near there.
Of course our resident college professor would get this one right ; )

Warm Springs, home of FDR's little White House is only 7 or so miles to the WNW of Manchester. The city is built along Pine Mountain and the FDR State Park begins along that ridge not to much further to the west.

Old 06-21-2009, 10:06 PM

20 posts, read 49,171 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tiffany_ga View Post
Savannah

but that's just my personal opinion
Ooh, my cousin in Athens grew up there, so I can ask her a little more about it. Maybe she has some ghost stories for me that I can alter to suit my little fictional town.
Thanks!

Old 06-21-2009, 10:11 PM

20 posts, read 49,171 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Saintmarks View Post
Little clues like this would be good for your University and your town/city name. I like the idea of the city being in the southeastern portion of the state to tie in better with your theme. Brunswick could be the primary setting, using the port, the nearby islands, the marshes. Sydney Lanier's famous poem about the Marshes of Glynn could be used, maybe Sydney Lanier University..... some tie ins like that.
Love Sydney Lanier University much more than Peach State, lol. I definately want to use little clues, like you know the city's purely fiction but you might be able to guess where it was if it *were* real...
Thank you so much!!
Now I have to peruse that lovely name list...
Thank you!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia