Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-01-2006, 06:52 AM

320 posts, read 1,558,065 times

Advertisements

What are the best small towns in GA? Small meaning pop. of 6,000 or below. We were looking at relocating to Fl but are wondering if GA would not be better. We are looking mostly in the southern GA area but would be interested on info on any small towns throughout the state that might be a fit for us.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-01-2006, 02:05 PM

722 posts, read 3,318,347 times
Try Clayton is North Georgia. It's very quaint.

Old 07-02-2006, 06:40 PM

29 posts, read 162,586 times
Hi there!
Thomaston,Georgia was voted best small town in 2002. It is approx. 60 miles south of Atlanta, 30 minutes north of Macon. I go to church there. Clayton, Ga. is mountainous, scenic and beautiful, But is considered to be vacation,resort area. Very expensive, and life-long residents are clanish.(not meaning the hooded variety) Too far south puts you in an area where there is high poverty, and low education.

Old 07-05-2006, 11:21 PM

23 posts, read 182,651 times
Default best small towns

Small towns with population under 6,000, now that,s a small town. I'd recommend the northern Georgia area. Towns like Talking Rock, Tate and Blairsville. I'd be happy to answer any questions you may have. Good Luck!

Old 07-06-2006, 08:46 PM

108 posts, read 693,229 times
I was born in a small central georgia town called Barnesville. About 3000. It's a Mayberry type town. Good people and close to Atlanta ( 45 minutes) not much shopping but 15 minutes from griffin which has more shopping choices. Good Luck. Also has many lovely old homes where you can walk to town.

Old 07-09-2006, 07:54 AM

56 posts, read 301,802 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jewels36
What are the best small towns in GA? Small meaning pop. of 6,000 or below. We were looking at relocating to Fl but are wondering if GA would not be better. We are looking mostly in the southern GA area but would be interested on info on any small towns throughout the state that might be a fit for us.

Cartersville GA is nice, North of Atlanta
Peachtree city south of Atlanta
Savanna GA
Columbus GA South and west of Atlanta
WayCross GA South GA

I've been to all these towns many times, Nice!

I suggest to do a "Tour" by car before deciding on area.
Fayetteville is growing too fast for me, In fact I'm going to be living in the Waycross area when I come back from Medschool. I like the Rural areas.

Waycross is 1 hr from Jacksonville Fl and just under 2 hrs from Savanna GA, I found Savanna my Favorite though. GA is quiet and nice except Atlanta, Atlanta is a BIG CITY, 4 million, traffic headaches ect.... I currently live near Dallas GA. I liked it but too close to Atlanta for me.

Last edited by southernguyGA; 07-09-2006 at 08:02 AM..

Old 07-21-2006, 08:07 AM

102 posts, read 365,066 times
If you have schoolage children, you do not want a small town in Georgia!

Old 07-22-2006, 02:04 PM

3 posts, read 59,622 times
I agree with you. I recently purchased a home in Waycross. I am presently renting it out as I will be taking early retirement in about 4 years. My daughter and her family live in Jacksonville but I wanted a quiet small town life not big city. I started checking southern GA and discovered Waycross. Home prices are extremely reasonable and you have the small town atmosphere with enough shopping and excellent medical facilities. While there we discovered a little burger shop "The Peach Pit" (I think) the best cheesburger I've had. Will you be working at the Medical Center in Waycross? Are you specializing? When will you be finishing med school if you don't mind me asking? Godd luck on your studies.

Old 07-26-2006, 11:16 PM

5 posts, read 70,586 times
Default Warrenton ga.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rebel
Thank you so much for your kind words. We have to more further north when we can retrieve our money from the condo as my husband has had melanomia and Florida is the capital of skin cancer. The sun is too close, too intense. My husband was thinking of Hephzibah near Augusta. Anywhere within, say, 30 miles of Augusta would be great as we need be close to the VA hospital there. Of towns around Augusta, which ones are most like Mayberry RFD?
You can try Warrenton Ga. its probbly 25 miles west of Augusta Off of interstate 20.Check it out with google earth and use the satelite imiage,you can see about how close it is.Augusta has everything.Hope this helps.

Old 08-18-2006, 12:26 PM

22 posts, read 160,813 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jewels36 View Post
I have heard of a lovely town not far from Savannah called Glennville and I am actually looking into moving there and it has only a population of 3,000.
Leelee
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia