Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-14-2019, 04:59 PM

834 posts, read 1,016,815 times

Advertisements

I use to know where some were in Brookhaven but that was before development in the nineties...

You can still grow them easy people just don't because the bugs; same with apples. Northern GA had entire orchards up till the late eighties.. If you look at old mega-orchard regions even those are now developments..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-16-2019, 11:36 AM

18,949 posts, read 43,612,080 times
My sister used to live in Byron, and I remember seeing a lot of orchards around there.

Over here in AL, the peach hotspot seems to be Chilton County.

Old 06-16-2019, 06:39 PM

446 posts, read 396,833 times
Partly because of my interest in this thread, I bought a couple of peaches at Publix the other day. Today I peeled one to eat it.

It had no flavor at all. I remember peaches being sweet and juicy. This one was juicy but not sweet. What has happened to peaches? This one apparently is from California.

The pear I bought came from Argentina. It doesn't have much flavor either.

Maybe we should be getting our peaches and pears from Georgia peach trees and pear trees?

Old 06-16-2019, 07:05 PM

1,054 posts, read 881,948 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Saskia Calico View Post

Maybe we should be getting our peaches and pears from Georgia peach trees
Many of us have been living our lives that way for years.

Old 06-17-2019, 04:27 PM

8,057 posts, read 12,860,718 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Saskia Calico View Post
Partly because of my interest in this thread, I bought a couple of peaches at Publix the other day. Today I peeled one to eat it.

It had no flavor at all. I remember peaches being sweet and juicy. This one was juicy but not sweet. What has happened to peaches? This one apparently is from California.

The pear I bought came from Argentina. It doesn't have much flavor either.

Maybe we should be getting our peaches and pears from Georgia peach trees and pear trees?
Quote:
Originally Posted by JayHey View Post
Many of us have been living our lives that way for years.
Same for tomatoes. Unless locally grown at a farmer's stand or market, just as soon skip the tomatoes in the produce section.

Old 06-20-2019, 02:31 PM

65 posts, read 98,225 times
Default no, no,no...

Quote:
Originally Posted by 80s_kid View Post
I even hear that states like South Carolina, New Jersey, and Ohio are trying to claim themselves more of a peach state than GA. California is said to produce more which is understandable but I want to say that GA has more quality than quantity over Cali but SC and NJ can't have better peaches than us.
I am from NJ and I have never heard that. (Moved out of the state less than a year ago and lived 2/3 of my life (now 56) there . I think what may be misunderstood is people like to grow local and saying NJ makes it easier vs. county/town.

It's hard to get a good peach in Jersey in my opinion.

Old 06-20-2019, 11:35 PM

848 posts, read 1,120,380 times
South Carolina peaches are the best in the US and they produce more than any other state. Have no idea why Georgia is the peach state.

Old 06-21-2019, 09:41 AM

10,744 posts, read 13,386,955 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by urbanmyth View Post
South Carolina peaches are the best in the US and they produce more than any other state. Have no idea why Georgia is the peach state.
urbanmyth, I believe that many moons ago, Georgia, indeed, grew many more peaches than any other state; however, over time, that has changed. Yet, Georigia retained its moniker. I do believe that Georgia peaches are considered to be the best.

Old 06-21-2019, 10:27 AM

23,463 posts, read 44,090,617 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Saintmarks View Post
Same for tomatoes. Unless locally grown at a farmer's stand or market, just as soon skip the tomatoes in the produce section.
I agree. We have a great produce stand at the airport on SSI. I always stop there first on the way to the supermarket. Trucked in from Wayne County (Jesup) daily!

Old 06-21-2019, 11:53 AM

8,057 posts, read 12,860,718 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iconographer View Post
I agree. We have a great produce stand at the airport on SSI. I always stop there first on the way to the supermarket. Trucked in from Wayne County (Jesup) daily!
So much more difficult to find those kind of roadside stands here in the wilds of suburban DFW.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia