Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Independence Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-26-2019, 01:57 PM

1,459 posts, read 1,401,265 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by flamadiddle View Post
If you wanted to buy a place in the North Georgia mountains, which area has the most amenities? restaurants, shopping, gym, etc. for everyday living? Seems like the logical answer is Blue Ridge, but wanted to get other opinions.
We lived in BR and BV - We moved there to avoid everything in Gwinnett. But neither one was good for us - too crowded - too many tourists - too much traffic - esp on weekends.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-26-2019, 07:06 PM

6,721 posts, read 6,478,550 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Taco1234 View Post
Shut the front door!!! Back to Georgia??! Ha!!!!
Starting to consider retirement options and my job is getting easier and more secure to do remote so being near a large metro is becoming less important. The lack of measurable snow is still a real problem for me so still contemplating.

Lou Malnati's pizza should be here in a few minutes. lol

Old 04-27-2019, 07:42 AM

3,997 posts, read 4,141,865 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by flamadiddle View Post
Starting to consider retirement options and my job is getting easier and more secure to do remote so being near a large metro is becoming less important. The lack of measurable snow is still a real problem for me so still contemplating.

Lou Malnati's pizza should be here in a few minutes. lol
Well, they just put a Gino's East in Atlanta.

Old 04-29-2019, 09:42 AM

128 posts, read 143,584 times
How is the summertime heat and humidity (the "sultriness") of Dahlonega compared to Atlanta? Are other North Georgia towns significantly better on this than Dahlonega?

Old 04-29-2019, 10:02 AM

1,054 posts, read 881,115 times
Daytime temps are a negligible difference, days are going to be hot and humid. Maybe a a point or two lower on the oppressive scale, where you feel the difference is with nighttime temps. The air gets much cooler up in the mountains. The effect is greater in the towns north of Dahlonega which have higher elevation.

Old 04-29-2019, 03:14 PM

23,460 posts, read 44,074,708 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JayHey View Post
Daytime temps are a negligible difference, days are going to be hot and humid. Maybe a a point or two lower on the oppressive scale, where you feel the difference is with nighttime temps. The air gets much cooler up in the mountains. The effect is greater in the towns north of Dahlonega which have higher elevation.
This.

Old 05-03-2019, 01:35 PM

1,459 posts, read 1,401,265 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Schwartzmann View Post
How is the summertimether North Georgia towns significantly better on this than Dahlonega?

Dahlonega has heavy tree cover, so the humidity isn't as noticeable. However I suffered there more than in the other towns from allergies. Which btw I never had in the 75 yrs prior.

Old 08-01-2020, 04:57 AM

36 posts, read 45,021 times
We're also looking to relocate the N. GA region. I want to be within a 15 min drive of civilization/shopping, but have privacy and enjoy the mountains for outdoor activities.

Any input on how Gilmer compares to Fannin county's government, and how well (or poorly) they are run? Any major difference in property tax rates between the 2?

TIA

Old 08-01-2020, 06:12 AM

6,558 posts, read 12,044,134 times
My two favorite are Blairsville and Dahlonega. Blairsville is more in the mountains. We own a vacation property there and that area is great for vacationing and hiking. However for long term living I prefer Dahlonega while I'm still young-ish. It's more lively and has easier access to Atlanta. Eventually we'll probably retire in our vacation home in Blairsville.

Old 08-01-2020, 06:43 AM

1,948 posts, read 1,515,483 times
We've had a part time place outside of Helen for the last 25 years, and we have traveled about every inch of the NE GA Mountains.

My favorite place is Brasstown Valley between Young Harris and Hiawassee--at the northern base of Brasstown Bald. There are homes on top of that mountain/hill where you can overlook Lake Chatuge, and the scenery is nothing short of breathtaking. It's a short drive into Blairsville or you can go into Hiawassee. The Brasstown Resort and golf course is so nice, too.

There are all kinds of residences of all price ranges--including condos, etc. And the lakefront homes west of Hiawassee are really, really nice. Hiawassee is actually a city located on islands in the middle of the lake.

If I was looking at luxury properties, I'd be on Lake Burton--west of Clayton. The place simply has the most incredible lake homes I've ever seen--up to $10 million.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia