Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-13-2016, 01:04 PM

4 posts, read 4,774 times

Advertisements

We are moving from Central Florida to the Woodstock/Holly Springs/Canton area. I have done a lot of searching on best schools in the area, however would like real input versus statistics. We have 2 daughters, ages 8 and 4. Our 8 year old currently goes to a K-8 charter school and I see there is one in Canton, Cherokee Charter. Can anyone provide any insight into this school?
What are the reputable schools in the area...including high schools? Interested in public and/or private.

Also, are there any "bad" neighborhoods (crime, etc.) that we should stay away from when house hunting in the Woodstock/Holly Springs/Canton area?

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-10-2016, 08:35 PM

5 posts, read 4,450 times
Hi there.
This is a delayed response but I still thought you might want input. As a teacher within the Cherokee school system myself I can say that this area maintains many highly qualified teachers. I'm new to the area and have found the system to be welcoming and rigorous to ensure student success.
However, since Cherokee County is viewed as one of the better systems in Georgia there has been a dramatic increase in population. The schools in the Woodstock area are critically overpopulated. As you move north it is gets a BIT better but there are still core classes with 32+ kids. Be warned - the area is growing faster than the infrastructure can handle thereby creating heinous traffic. Hope everything works out for you!

Old 09-16-2016, 03:48 AM

459 posts, read 474,888 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by QuippyQuipster View Post
Hi there.
This is a delayed response but I still thought you might want input. As a teacher within the Cherokee school system myself I can say that this area maintains many highly qualified teachers. I'm new to the area and have found the system to be welcoming and rigorous to ensure student success.
However, since Cherokee County is viewed as one of the better systems in Georgia there has been a dramatic increase in population. The schools in the Woodstock area are critically overpopulated. As you move north it is gets a BIT better but there are still core classes with 32+ kids. Be warned - the area is growing faster than the infrastructure can handle thereby creating heinous traffic. Hope everything works out for you!

That's spot on correct.

Old 10-07-2016, 05:59 PM

Thank you for your reply...I had given up on receiving any! It is much appreciated! Are you familiar with the Ball Ground area? From the research I have done, I believe this may be a bit too rural for us...but would appreciate any insight. Also, any insight into West Canton (west of 575)? Thank you!

Old 10-07-2016, 06:05 PM

9,317 posts, read 20,996,996 times
^ you might want to Post to the Atlanta (or request this to be moved to there) You will get more activity. Woodstock/Cherokee are within the scope of the Atlanta sub/group.

Ball Ground is semi rural, but there are some sub/divisions that have some bigger homes, just out side the city limits of Ball Ground, In Un-Incorporated Cherokee county.

Most areas of Woodstock, Holly Springs are very good, with very good schools.

These types of things Help:

1. Budget
2. House/Condo/Townhome?
3. Employment Status(commute/work from home)
4. Children(public school vs. private)
5. Suburban or Urban lifestyle preference or a mix of the two
6. Easy access to public transit, important or not?
7. Preferable demographics of desired neighborhood.
8. Work Location(s).

Old 10-08-2016, 04:03 PM

- Budget is under $300k house (preferably 2 story on at least an acre)
- Both my husband and I work from home so commuting for work is not an issue. However, both our daughters have gastric illnesses so occassionally we will need to drive to Atlanta for doctor appointments and occassional hospital stays. This is the main reason (aside from schools) that we are choosing Cherokee County, as Atlanta has one of the best Gastric Enterology networks in the country.
- We would prefer public schools for our children, but are willing to pay for private if the schools we are zoned for are not up to par.
- Suburban lifestyle...bordering on semi-rural.
- Will never be taking public transit, so that is not a factor.
- We are caucasian Catholics and make roughly $110k p/yr. Middle class neighborhood where we are not the minority, however we like exposing our kids to some diversity.

Thank you for your help!

Old 10-15-2016, 06:32 AM

5 posts, read 12,852 times
Smile House Hunting

Hi,

I am a Realtor and I live in Canton, not sure if you guys have found a new home yet, but I would love to assist you in that search. Please let me know if I can help you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia