Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-03-2016, 02:22 PM

5,845 posts, read 6,183,587 times

Advertisements

Source: Nathan Deal to veto Georgia’s ‘campus carry’ legislation | Political Insider blog

I think this will go back to the drawing board next legislative session. One possible change might be allowing individual campuses to make their own determination as whether to allow campus carry, as opposed to forcing all campuses to allow it as the current bill would have done.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-03-2016, 07:25 PM

2,097 posts, read 2,289,717 times
he is on a roll doing the Right Thing. He isn't running again so he doesn't have to do what lobbyists tell him. Good for him, good for Georgia. I support the 2nd amendment. But with classrooms it's a crowded area of teenagers (i.e. hungover or still drunk, operating on zero sleep, all of the above) in a possibly stressful environment i.e. finals. Not the most likely place gun safety will be assured. The odds of accidental discharge must outweigh the odds of a school shooting in which a gun might, not will but might, be of a help for self defense. Right?

Old 05-03-2016, 07:44 PM

5,845 posts, read 6,183,587 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SavannahLife View Post
he is on a roll doing the Right Thing. He isn't running again so he doesn't have to do what lobbyists tell him. Good for him, good for Georgia. I support the 2nd amendment. But with classrooms it's a crowded area of teenagers (i.e. hungover or still drunk, operating on zero sleep, all of the above) in a possibly stressful environment i.e. finals. Not the most likely place gun safety will be assured. The odds of accidental discharge must outweigh the odds of a school shooting in which a gun might, not will but might, be of a help for self defense. Right?
Yeah. People have the right to self-defense, but they also have the right to live in safety.

Old 05-04-2016, 02:38 AM

51 posts, read 45,268 times
Liberal America at work

Old 05-04-2016, 12:08 PM

11,334 posts, read 26,171,769 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Patriot777 View Post
Liberal America at work
This Liberal American is pro-gun ownership. I don't really understand those who think a responsible person can't own a weapon and use it responsibly. My body, my gun. The Govt should keep its hands off both of them.

Old 05-05-2016, 03:44 AM

51 posts, read 45,268 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rcsteiner View Post
This Liberal American is pro-gun ownership. I don't really understand those who think a responsible person can't own a weapon and use it responsibly. My body, my gun. The Govt should keep its hands off both of them.
Exactly.

Old 05-05-2016, 04:24 AM
bUU

12,074 posts, read 10,747,070 times
This wouldn't have been an issue if gun ownership was allowed to do a better job policing itself. The unfortunate reality is that there's no effective way for it to do so. Duly appointed and regularly audited authorities would have to regularly psychoanalyze every gun owner to do that, and that would be a gross invasion of privacy and permitting that would be a grievous overreach by government. The challenge is how to keep the second amendment relevant to society as society gets more and more crowded, with people with guns living much closer to each other, and more and more on top of each other, and interacting with each other in larger and larger groups. IIRC there are over 35,000 students at UGA, and over 10,000 employees, and while the campus is over 700 acres, most of those folks are concentrated in a much smaller area. The same is the case with grocery stores: Where a grocery store used to be one or two employees serving two or three customers at a time, we now have supermarkets with literally hundreds of people shopping and working within this one space. Shopping malls didn't exist before the 1930s, and now they've effectively replaced America's Main Streets. That's a bigger change than just a roof overhead. It is a switch from an area where patrons arrived pretty much where they were going and left from there, to an area specifically designed such that patrons are corralled within them, contained (and thereby hopefully retained, for the purpose of keeping people shopping longer).

In a nutshell, changes in society have caused the problems that we're facing today. We don't want to throw away these changes and go back to living in relative isolation from each other (and there are far too many of us now to do that, even if we did want to do it). So we have to change the way these aspects of society work in recognition of the changes in society that we cannot reverse.

Old 05-05-2016, 08:55 AM

10,741 posts, read 13,457,690 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Patriot777 View Post
Liberal America at work
Better than a lot of the alternatives.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia