Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-10-2008, 08:06 PM

2 posts, read 8,873 times

Advertisements

We are possibly going to relocate to Georgia in the next couple of months. My husband's job territory will include northern Alabama, Tenessee, and all of Georgia. We thought somewhere towards the Northern part of Georgia would be ideal. Does anyone have any suggestions on a nice town that's not too big and not too small? We also have 1 elementary age child so good schools & low crime are a must. Thanks for any advice. :-)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-11-2008, 01:38 PM

3 posts, read 8,704 times
Default Moving

Most of N.GA is nice, are you looking to the N.W. section? If so, Ringgold is a really nice area.

Old 02-11-2008, 05:58 PM

2 posts, read 8,873 times
SouthernComfort--Thanks. I will look up some info. on Ringgold. The only town I've done any research on so far is Rome. It seems like a nice area. Do you know anything about Rome?

Old 02-13-2008, 09:10 AM

209 posts, read 1,090,342 times
Rome is an (okay) city. The downtown is nice, but other areas of the city are very run down, especially coming in on 411 from Cartersville. Rome is not getting all of the suburban Atlanta growth, if at all, I am not sure if that is good or bad, probably better in the long run.
Rome has a nice mall, Berry, and the college is very nice as well. The campus is beautiful. Rome is a city of about 35,000, and not growing very much, as previously mentioned.

Other areas I would recommend are Summerville, just north of Rome in Chattooga County, I would also recommend Calhoun, I would recommend Calhoun over any Northwest Georgia City, it is right along I-75, growing, and about 40 miles from Chattanooga, maybe 70 from Atlanta, 40 miles from the Alabama Border. Calhoun has a population of about 13,000 and growing, has a huge outlet mall that when we lived in Cartersville, we would prefer even over going to Kennesaw.

Once you get into southern areas of Bartow County, White/Cartersville on southward, it becomes too urbanized and congested, IMO.

1. Calhoun- Gordon County, I-75
2. Summerville- Chattooga County
3. LaFayette/Ringgold- Walker/Catoosa County
4. Rome- Floyd County, 411
5. Waleska/Ball Ground, Cherokee County, I-575

Old 04-04-2008, 11:01 PM

1 posts, read 4,336 times
Default Update...

Well, allow me to submit a few corrections-since I live here. (For a referrence: I-75 runs north from Atlanta to Chatt., TN, with a sizable town every 20-22 miles; i.e. Atl, Marietta, Acworth, Cartersville, Calhoun, Dalton, Chatt. Now to the N.W. is Rome, GA, and Cartersville & Calhoun are on I-75 and Rome to the west make a 21 mile triangle. Cartersville is northernmost Atlanta "burb" with Dalton Chatt.s southernmost "burb". Calhoun,Gordon Cty in between is last "rural" county between. Calhoun is 60 miles N/Atl. & 50 Mi. S/Chatt. & has a 2008 pop. of 35K, Rome-65K; Rome is home to Berry College (world's largest campus, 26K acres,top 25 private list;there are more doctors per capita than any city in U.S.plus a Univ. System of GA college & big Tech school. Rome IS NOT ''run down" although any town has a few areas and coming in from Cartersville is booming.The new "Memphis to Atlanta interstate will run to Huntsville, AL to Rome, to C'ville where it will meet I-75. This area is great! Also, an hour's drive to the east will soon find you able to snow ski the world's largest indoor ski resort.N.E. GA/Mtns. has much but has gotten too pricey; N.W. is the place, and you can go to or find anything from here within an hour or two - great big lakes, mtns., beach, world-class or redneck, this is the place. Thanks.

Old 04-05-2008, 08:27 AM

99 posts, read 178,454 times
Default Ringgold Ga

Hi there Sunnygirl:

Just want to say that my wife and I moved to Ringgold in June of 07. We love it here. Ringgold, GA is located just over the border from Tennessee. For our big shopping we go to Chattanooga TN. It is about a 20 minute ride to one of the bigest shopping malls in TN. Ringgold has just opened a new kids park - it's a good size. We have no school age children but have heard from neighbors that the reason they moved to Ringgold is because of the good school system. From what we have observed Ringgold has very little crime - Chattanooga is your typical big city.

If you are thinking about renting we have a 1000 plus sq. ft. unit in a tirplex available, 2 bedroom, 1 1/2 bath about a 8 minute drive to I75 and a newly remodled ranch style home, 1540 sq. ft. with full basement, 3 bedroom, 2 bath, on 1 acre. The back yard is fenced, there are 2 finished rooms in the basement for office or den (not sleeping rooms), and a two car garage. The ranch is located just outside the City Limits of Ringgold and just a 1.5 mile drive to I75 or downtown Ringgold.

If you will be looking to purchase a home we can put you in touch with a hard working real estate person who listens to your needs and works to satisfy them. She does not like wasting your time or hers.

If you would like more info you can send us a PM.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia