Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-03-2006, 11:10 AM

4 posts, read 18,566 times

Advertisements

My family and I live in Bradenton Florida and I would really love to move out of this state!We live in a large,mostly suburban area and would like to move to a similar area that has all the conviences that we're used to minus the EXTREMELY HIGH COSTS of living.I have family in this area and thought this area might be similar to Bradenton.Does anyone have any thoughts or suggestions,I would really appreciate any input ya'll might have.My next challange is conviencing my husband to move!!!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-06-2006, 08:50 AM

321 posts, read 1,557,066 times
I lived in Cartersville for 5 years, really like it there. What do you want to know?

Old 11-25-2006, 07:48 AM

465 posts, read 2,427,157 times
I don't what you're looking for demographically or otherwise. Cartersville is about an hour north of Atlanta. It is a small, country, town with not a lot to do. Most of the people there have not been out of Georgia, it's depressing. I am racially mixed and have lived in a lot of big cities, maybe I was expecting too much. If you just want cheap housing though, it's the spot to go. Just don't expect a very progressive enviornment. I currently live about 15 mins from downtown Atlanta. I have access to muesems, theaters, sports and great restaurants within minutes; and lots of diversity. Cartersville, on the other hand, not quite.

Old 11-25-2006, 10:20 AM

Oh good grief. Not true at all! Cartersville has a population of about 16,000. It is inexpensive, there is a wide range of housing available. There are still quite a number of trailer parks, which is normal in most parts of the South, but there are also a number of new developments with million dollar homes. There is Waterford which is a very nice community with homes starting at around $200K I believe, has a community center. There is also Grove Pointe which in addition to the housing, has a little retail center. And brand new is Carter Grove Plantation, which will contain an 18 hole golf course. These neighborhoods are also proximate to Dellinger Park which is a beautiful public park with ponds, pool, tennis and hiking trails.

I prefer older homes in established neighborhoods, and there are plenty of those near the downtown area. The downtown area is lovely with lots of little shops and a depot, and they've also built some loft-style condos.

Cartersville is also home to the Booth Museum of Western Art. I happen to love Western art, but this is also the 2nd largest art museum in the state, next to the High Museum in Atlanta.

They have the normal shopping options, with WalMart, Lowe's, Target, etc. They also have country living, it is nice to take a country drive where you will see some run down little houses, but you'll also see lovely estate-type properties.

I could go on an on but have no idea what you're interested in. Feel free to ask. Just suffice it to say that it is NOT a little boring hick town with nothing to do!

Old 11-25-2006, 08:16 PM

209 posts, read 1,089,532 times
In my opinion, I hate Cartersville.

I have lived here for 4 years, and we always have had to go down to Kennesaw or over to Rome for entertainment.

We are in the process of moving to Iowa.

Cartersville is CHOCK-FULL of drugs. It doesnt make the news every day, but once every once in a while. No shootings, lots of rape and robbery. Especially robbery.

It really is a boring town. I mean, it is exciting when you move there, the downtown, but the locals really have probably been to the Western Art Museum once, and on a stroll downtown every Christmas.

They have recently been BOOMING with expansion. New movie theater, subdivisions, apartments.................etc.,

1-10 1(worst) 10(best) 3.

Old 01-19-2007, 07:41 PM

291 posts, read 1,361,276 times
DRugs? I have heard it is the meth capital of GA, if this is true, I need to know, we are considering to move there for a job and if its that bad, we need to know that! Thanks!

Old 01-20-2007, 07:46 AM

104 posts, read 521,722 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lookingforasafehome View Post
DRugs? I have heard it is the meth capital of GA, if this is true, I need to know, we are considering to move there for a job and if its that bad, we need to know that! Thanks!
Regarding it being the meth capital of Georgia..... someone else told me the same thing about another city in Georgia. Then there were others who said that's simply not true. My suggestion to you is to do your own research when it comes to crime, drugs, etc.... I would hate to see you rule out an area based on one post.

I have inlaws in Cartersville, Rome and Rockmart. We've only been there to visit them once, and I wasn't very impressed. Not to say that it's not a nice and quiet area, but the parts that I saw didn't leave me itching to go back. The people all seemed very friendly, & I felt safe, but I was bored the whole week we were there.

Take my opinion with a grain of salt though. One mans junk is another mans treasure. Some people think Florida is Utopia, but you couldn't pay me to live there!

Old 01-23-2007, 12:43 PM

Thanks for the info T.

Old 01-24-2007, 08:07 AM

There are probably a lot of parts of Cartersville that you didn't see. Farmland, cute and busy downtown area. Really nice art museum. Great public park with hiking paths. New hiking/biking trail. Multiplex. All the big box stores but no mall, but lots of specialty stores too. All the chain restaurants but a few independents and some are really good. New subdivisions that range from moderately priced (low $200s) to a million. Sure, your kids are going to get into the meth if they let peer pressure rule their lives.

Old 01-25-2007, 08:06 PM

I also want to get out of our bad situation...we are currently living in overpriced housing, attachment style, right next to drug dealers and the area is high crime and there is really no where to go unless you can spend at least250, which we can't I wish we could, it is a nice town, minus the snobs, but we want to live in home that is more than 1100 sq feet that is also in a nice area, for bout 180? Maybe 200 if we cash in some retirement money maybe. Hiking trails sound really enticing as we are a very active family and spend much time outdoors. I really want to live in a nice area for a change, where drug dealers are NOT outside, and NO sex offenders down the street, all I Want is to live in a safe home, I know no where is perfect something has to be better than where we are now
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia