Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-17-2014, 10:57 AM

3,744 posts, read 4,785,358 times

Advertisements

What are your fav routes to travel during the fall to check out the beautiful leaves on the trees

Old 10-17-2014, 02:10 PM

5,621 posts, read 5,935,590 times
I don't have any favorites, I just like anywhere in N GA. Plenty of mountain roads just an hour or 2 north of here. I've been up to Dahlonega quite a bit and just north of there is GA 60. Woody Gap isn't too far from Dahlonega and gives you a nice view to the south. I've never seen it in fall but I imagine it's nice. It's actually where the Appalachian Trail is.

Old 10-17-2014, 03:46 PM

284 posts, read 590,722 times
The next couple weekends can get crowded on the roads around the parks & any fall festivals-- last year traffic was snarled pretty bad around the Dawsonville Moonshine festival/Amicalola Falls area.

Some of the best views tend to be on 2 lane roads so slow drivers, groups of bikers, passenger van tours can be a factor. I agree with Woody Gap, and the whole loop betweeen Cleveland/Blairsville/Blue Ridge/Chatsworth. Hwy 60, 2,180,19 and 52 are magical when the leaves are falling as you drive between Vogel, Blood Mtn, Morganton, and Fort Mountain (yes, we did it as a day trip from ATL and hiked up to Ft Mtn's overlook, but that may be a bit much for those with kids or those wanting to stop off at a lot of places).

I love going to the Tail of the Dragon near Murphy NC . 318 tight curves in 11 miles with some steep banks/grades, so read up on it before going there. A weekday may be best to avoid crowds. Tail of the Dragon at Deals Gap, motorcycle and sport car two lane tourism serving Tail of the Dragon at Deals Gap, Cherohala Skyway, Moonshiner28, Devils Triangle, and Six Gap North Georgia. While its known as one of the most notorious and deadly roads, I personally have never encountered any recklessness. Unfortunately the frequent roadside memorials tell another story. Always best to keep an eye out (in front and behind!) for inexperienced/aggressive drivers who could be a danger.

Tallulah Gorge can be seen on the way up to NC - spectacular! (you can pull over to look at it, or you can hike it).

The Cherohala Skyway is a quicker/closer option for those who don't have time for the Blue Ridge Parkway http://www.cherohala.com/. 3000' elevation difference at the start and end points between NC & TN. Panoramic views.

Outside of the NE/Central GA Mountains, there's also scenic drives in NW GA like around John's Mountain and Summerville/Chickamauga. Chattahoochee Hills also has some nice backroads going through forested land.

Aside from driving routes, some of my favorite autumn scenic places are:
- Cloudland Canyon (NW GA/TN/AL border) breathtaking with lots of reds and golds alongside the tall waterfalls!

- Cascade Nature Preserve. The drive down Cascade is even pretty as you get closer to the preserve with all the mature hardwoods arching over the road. A lady from the old Atlanta Wilson/Lowe family actually planted dogwoods, crepe myrtle, and roses alongside Cascade Rd in the 1930s-- they lined the road from where John A White Park is, all the way west toward her home just past the nature preserve. The stone pillars at the intersection of Cascade Rd & Delowe (named after Alice D. Lowe) commemorate her beautification efforts. Some of the old dogwoods & crepe myrtles are in the right of way, plus new ones planted by Trees Atlanta & the city.

- Arabia Mountain (Dekalb Co)/Panola Mountain (Stockbridge) - really nice views/not as developed as the Stone Mountain area. But a good close option for those on the Southside Metro.

-Big Trees Forest Preserve in Sandy Springs is very pretty, and has great educational signage along the trails to learn about trees, forests, and preservation efforts. I've not been there in the fall but its on my todo list this year!!

Old 10-17-2014, 04:04 PM

13,981 posts, read 25,954,920 times
Head north, but don't rush it. I think it will be another couple of weeks before the real foliage beauty shows up. I was in Asheville this week, and was surprised at how far the trees still had to go.

Old 10-17-2014, 06:19 PM

5,621 posts, read 5,935,590 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mal93 View Post

I love going to the Tail of the Dragon near Murphy NC . 318 tight curves in 11 miles with some steep banks/grades, so read up on it before going there. A weekday may be best to avoid crowds. Tail of the Dragon at Deals Gap, motorcycle and sport car two lane tourism serving Tail of the Dragon at Deals Gap, Cherohala Skyway, Moonshiner28, Devils Triangle, and Six Gap North Georgia. While its known as one of the most notorious and deadly roads, I personally have never encountered any recklessness. Unfortunately the frequent roadside memorials tell another story. Always best to keep an eye out (in front and behind!) for inexperienced/aggressive drivers who could be a danger.

The Cherohala Skyway is a quicker/closer option for those who don't have time for the Blue Ridge Parkway http://www.cherohala.com/. 3000' elevation difference at the start and end points between NC & TN. Panoramic views.

Been on both of those in summer. Tail of the Dragon is really busy. I imagine it's busiest in fall. It's almost fallen victim to its own success. It's so well known among those who like mountain roads. There were people set up taking pictures and putting them online for purchase. It's worth a shot. Just don't plan on doing time trials through the curves! Cherohala is nice too.

Old 10-17-2014, 09:17 PM

134 posts, read 185,852 times
Do the Russell-Brasstown scenic byway next weekend in north GA. It will be stunning.

Old 10-01-2020, 12:05 AM

10,396 posts, read 11,500,133 times
5 small towns near Atlanta that offer more than just leaves changing colors (Atlanta Journal-Constitution)

Old 10-01-2020, 03:40 PM

9,008 posts, read 14,057,844 times
Anyone know of a good aerial view? I'd like to see the leaves from a high mountain peak this year. I assume Brasstown Bald will be extremely crowded. Any other mountain tops offer great views?

Old 10-03-2020, 04:04 PM

10,396 posts, read 11,500,133 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ATLTJL View Post
Anyone know of a good aerial view? I'd like to see the leaves from a high mountain peak this year. I assume Brasstown Bald will be extremely crowded. Any other mountain tops offer great views?
Like was recommended in one of the previous posts, try the Russell-Brasstown Scenic Byway (which runs almost right by Brasstown Bald) if you are looking to stay inside of state of Georgia.

Also, if you want to stay in Georgia, there is the Cohutta-Chattahoochee Scenic Byway in north-northwest Georgia, which features some stunning views of scenic Fort Mountain and potentially may feature less traffic than the more popular Russell-Brasstown Scenic Byway.

The Ridge and Valley Scenic Byway in northwest Georgia could be another option for scenic mountain views if you want to stay in Georgia while avoiding the larger crowds that will be found at, near and around Brasstown Bald.

GA state route 246/NC state route 106 through the Sky Valley, GA and Scaly Mountain, NC areas between Dillard, GA and Highlands, NC in extreme northeast Georgia and southwest North Carolina, north of the city of Clayton, Georgia east off of US highway 23-441 could be another great route with some mountain views and overlooks and potentially maybe a little less traffic than around Brasstown Bald.

Outside of Georgia (but still in the uplands of the Southeastern U.S.), scenic drives like the Cherokee Foothills Scenic Byway (SC state route 11) in the South Carolina Upstate, the Blue Ridge Parkway in western NC and VA, Clingman’s Dome (scenic drive and mountain peak) in eastern Tennessee, the Great Smoky Mountains Expressway in western North Carolina, etc., immediately come to mind as great scenic drives outside of GA.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia