Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-06-2012, 10:55 AM

2 posts, read 8,094 times

Advertisements

Hello everyone! What can you tell me about the areas of: Waycross, Blackshear, Patterson, Nahunta, & Brunswick in respect to churches, work, crime, schools & overall attitude of the people that live there to welcoming newcomers? I'm single, but if my kids ever decide to move South, having additional info on the school systems could be of benefit.

Thanks in advance for your input.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-09-2012, 01:53 AM

10 posts, read 14,565 times
I just moved from Waycross. I have lived in Blackshear, Nahunta, and I frequently visit Brunswick. I would say to avoid Nahunta/Brantley county because there are quite a bit of drugs going on the outskirts. However, I do like Waycross as a place to visit, but I would not want to live there. Blackshear is quite small. Brunswick is a beautiful city and near the sea, I often go there for day trips, but I do not know much about the schools.

Since it is all in the south..there are plenty of churches to choose from, although I think Waycross or Brunswick would have the most. In reference to schools, Nahunta has gotten worse, and Waycross, GA is fine. I transferred too soon from Blackshear to have a good opinion. Waycross is very welcoming of other people and I really enjoyed living there. It is a good place for small-town people, but there are not a lot of activities to do there. I really wanted a bigger city and I was stuck between Atlanta, Savannah, or Brunswick and I chose Savannah. Brunswick is definitely the frontrunner in my opinion because it is quite big, famous for stew, and the islands are beautiful and just a toll fare away. In what I have read, the school system is pretty good too.

Old 11-09-2012, 01:25 PM

13,709 posts, read 21,916,180 times
Brunswick area is best of the bunch: good schools, beaches, decent shopping, plenty to do, easy access to Jacksonville and Savannah. Glynn County (Brunswick) offers extremes of abject poverty (inner city Brunswick) and the most expensive real estate on the Southeast coast (Sea Island) -- but LOTS AND LOTS of ordinary folks in between. I actually liked living there, but didn't think I would. Most people think St. Simons Island is all rich people, but there's a good bit of affordable housing if you look.

I'm not a big fan of Waycross. Had friends in college from there who HATED their hometown and that might have tainted my opinion for life. I'm sure it's a fine community, but from my experience it is VERY isolated (about 50 miles to the nearest big towns) and rather depressing economically. The population is stagnant or declining. It is also very humid, sandy and flat and IMO located in the UGLIEST part of Georgia -- nothing but swamps and pine forests for hundreds of miles.

Old 11-16-2012, 08:30 PM

3,237 posts, read 6,318,550 times
Brunswick is ok, but goddamn it smells like **** all the time because of the paper mills all around it. I could never live there.

Waycross is ok in certain parts of it, others, not so much. I dont know what you plan to do for work there. Other than the railroad, I dont know what other jobs are there except maid/waitress, stuff like that. Or sitting on your ass and collecting welfare.

Blackshear, Patterson and Nahunta are barely towns to me.

Old 11-17-2012, 01:52 PM

13,709 posts, read 21,916,180 times
Modern technology ensures the one paper mill that remains in Brunswick no longer smells like it used too, just as the one in Savannah no longer "stinks." What many people MISTAKE for the "odor of money" (paper mill stench) is in fact the natural smell emitted by the salt marshes and tidal rivers. It's a similar rotten odor caused by the breakdown of microbes, sea creatures and such. Some people find it disgusting but I find it refreshing and comforting. When I can smell the marsh, I know I'm home.

In rural, less populated areas of South Georgia paper mills do indeed still reek. There's one in south Liberty County near I-95 that's absolutely disgusting. But the ones in Brunswick, Savannah and St. Mary's rarely if ever smell anymore.

Old 11-21-2012, 07:39 AM

3,237 posts, read 6,318,550 times
Well, the one in st marys doesnt smell anymore because it closed several years ago and was demolished in 2010 or so.

I still think it smells in Brunswick. I dont know how you could say it is refreshing. Definetly visit before buying.

Old 11-21-2012, 09:43 AM

2 posts, read 8,094 times
Thanks to all for sharing your opinions with me. I'll be heading there tomorrow, so I'll have to look around. Happy Thanskgiving everyone!

Old 11-23-2012, 07:01 PM

23,459 posts, read 44,068,152 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by crazynip View Post
Well, the one in st marys doesnt smell anymore because it closed several years ago and was demolished in 2010 or so.

I still think it smells in Brunswick. I dont know how you could say it is refreshing. Definetly visit before buying.
I live there. I never get this statement. I suspect that it is usually made by people that last passed through in 1985. Refinements since then ensure that all that exits the local smokestacks is steam.
If there's any detectable odor, its the fecundity of the marshes at low tide...an aroma I've come to love.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia