Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-07-2012, 12:24 PM

3 posts, read 25,208 times

Advertisements

I am a recent graduate from Gwinnett County GA (Lawrenceville). I am looking for a small farm town where every one knows each other. Looking for nice properties for small farm & play. With jobs that are easy to find.

Any one know a place like that in GA? Possibly cheap farm land.

Thank you,
Garrett
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-09-2012, 10:42 AM

8,036 posts, read 10,626,487 times
Garrett, you may have missed it by a couple of decades.

Actually, I would look in the mid-west, or possibly Northern Georgia.

Old 06-09-2012, 03:37 PM

1,383 posts, read 1,560,265 times
You want a small farming community, but one that has job opportunities?

Good luck.

Old 06-10-2012, 11:42 PM

I know it is hard, if anything impossible. But it really doesnt have to be GA. and I wouldn't mind a commute. I just want a small town area, but a place where I could make a living

Old 06-11-2012, 11:01 AM

2,118 posts, read 6,372,905 times
I'd imagine you could find plenty of low paying agricultural jobs picking fruit or packing trailers with pinestraw. Is that what you had in mind?

Old 06-11-2012, 08:39 PM

Any thing man. I want to be able to start my own family farm that could be passed down.. It's just hard when my family isn't the farming type But yea, I want to grow my own stock, plants, etc. but also make some cash through selling, but in the mean time working.

I am a damn hard worker, and will put in some serious work. No matter the pay, no matter the hours. I love to work and yea. I want to go rural.

Old 06-12-2012, 02:25 AM

13,709 posts, read 21,909,282 times
Garrett, don't let these naysayers and cynics discourage you. You should be applauded for wanting to do something so noble and honest with your life as farming. Outside of Metro Atlanta, I know you can find plenty of places in middle and south Georgia where a young man can still earn a living working the land and hard work is valued. Have you considered going to agriculture school? ABAC in Tifton is a good place to learn the ins and outs of farming, and near many small towns where peaches, soybeans, peanuts and cotton remain big cash crops. Statesboro as well, though mostly thought of as a college town, is the center of SE Georgia's booming (I mean EXPLODING) agriculture economy. There are tens of thousand of acres planted in cotton in Bulloch County alone, and it's been selling at top dollar prices the past couple of seasons. And of course there's the huge sweet onion industry down in this part of the state too, centered on Vidalia and Glennville (Toombs and Tattnall counties).

Have you tried contacting the state Department of Agriculture for direction or advice? I imagine they would be thrilled to help a young man from urban Gwinnett County find a future in farming -- which is still the No. 1 industry in Georgia!

Old 06-22-2012, 03:29 PM

1,473 posts, read 3,570,972 times
America Could Run Out of Farmers, USDA Warns

Good article. Click on it and see what you are up against. You might get lucky though. Find a farmer who has no children and establish a relationship where you eventually buy him out but he does the financing. Might work. Right now, farm land is pricey and is the only real estate that moves. Unfortunately, it is being bought up by large corporations or wealthy individuals. Lot of the land is taken out of production. In the area I come from in South GA, much land is being used for hunting leases. We are in a different world.

Best to you.

Old 01-01-2014, 05:08 PM

1 posts, read 6,644 times
Default Hi

We have a small farm, 13.7 acres, fenced, 4bdr, 3 fullbaths built 2007 $248,000 on Metter/Statesboro Georgia. Statesboro would have various job opportunities. Please contact me if interested. 912-429-2269. Thank you

Old 01-02-2014, 04:36 PM

7,480 posts, read 6,253,222 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by garrett30328 View Post
Any thing man. I want to be able to start my own family farm that could be passed down.. It's just hard when my family isn't the farming type But yea, I want to grow my own stock, plants, etc. but also make some cash through selling, but in the mean time working.

I am a damn hard worker, and will put in some serious work. No matter the pay, no matter the hours. I love to work and yea. I want to go rural.
I'm not a farmer so my advice is worth exactly what you paid for it. Starting a farm to make a living would seem to me to require tons of cash. If you want to be involved in the life style of farming, pick something that possibly supports farming. The one thing I always think of is become a farrier. In prosperous areas of the South more and more farms appear that are enclosed with white plastic fences. I call them horsey farms. They have a few things in common. They raise horses. They have money. Horses need periodic shoeing . Possibly the equipment to get started would not break the bank. You would need to learn the skill,so go somewhere like Gainesville , Fl , where there are at least a billion horses and work free to learn the trade, then pick a location and set up your own farriering business. There are probably other farming support specialties, you could pursue.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia