Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-22-2007, 08:06 PM

36 posts, read 239,364 times

Advertisements

Ok, I guess to help narrow it down, I need to be much more specific. For anyone who's lived/lives in Illinois, and you're familiar with the Libertyville, Vernon Hills areas of Illinois (or similar towns in Illinois), and you've moved, or used to live in Georgia, which areas in Georgia are most like the towns I listed in Illinois?

That's what I'm trying to find in Georgia. I happen to live in the Fox Lake area of Illinois which is also nice. I'd be happy to find a "Fox Lake" area of Georgia too.

Kennesaw, Alpharetta, Roswell, Duluth, Dunwoody...are any of these areas similar to the towns I listed in Illinois? I think Alpharetta, Roswell and Dunwoody might be too expensive since I can only afford to rent and I make under $30,000 a year. I've narrowed it down to Duluth and Kennesaw, but I'm still stuck on which to choose.

I'm a white female, who is single with no kids. I don't care about good schools or stuff like that. I'm a homebody, so I don't need a lot of "nightlife". My mom and brother live with me but have health issues, so money is always tight.

Also, I've mentioned this before in other posts, I don't mind bad traffic because I'm used to it up here in Illinois. My family and I are VERY liberal. We do not attend church regularly, so I'm wondering where exactly we might fit in best.

I don't mind if an area is more racially mixed as long as it's decent.

Other towns in Illinois I like...Which towns in Georgia are similar to these below ?

Crystal Lake
McHenry (the town)
Mundelein
Lincolnshire
Lindenhurst
Lake Villa
Gurnee
Grayslake
Wauconda
Lake Zurich

Help me find these Illinois town's twins in Georgia!

Thank you!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-23-2007, 07:57 PM

4 posts, read 16,042 times
While my lifestyle is different than yours (I'm married with kids, church-going, etc.), we did move to west Marietta this summer from Gurnee. We are originally from the south, so it wasn't that hard for us to choose an area. We lived in Gurnee for four years, and really came to love the area and the people. Western Cobb County is much like northern Lake County, except for the weather and the topography. You trade the winters for the summers. Shopping and entertainment are close by. I actually like the shopping better here. I think the closer you get to the city of Marietta, the more liberal people are. Maybe?? Inside the Marietta city limits are some cute, affordable houses and it's a good place to live if you aren't concerned about the schools. Kennesaw and Powder Springs are good, affordable areas. The cost of living (taxes!!) is much lower here (except for car insurance...I guess more traffic here leads to higher rates). And yes, traffic is much worse here! I hope this helps!

Old 09-24-2007, 06:34 PM

Thank you for the info about Cobb county Sealdog. These are exactly the type of posts I need. Keep em' coming guys!

Old 11-23-2007, 10:51 AM

We've had to postpone our move for awhile, due to my mom's health issues, but I'm still researching where to move in Georgia. Just wanted to give a quick update. Thanks in advance for any more info related to this thread.

Have a nice holiday weekend guys.

And I hope you get rain down there!

Old 11-25-2007, 01:10 PM

22 posts, read 121,825 times
If you're VERY liberal, as you describe, check out Virginia Highlands / Decatur area. I think you will find like-minded people. The areas you mention tend to be on the conservative side.

Good luck!

Old 11-30-2007, 08:59 AM

11 posts, read 34,911 times
If you want to compare ... visit my site Patricia Kalmeijer | Leading Real Estate Companies of the World (http://patriciakalmeijer.jennypruitt.com/Content/Content.aspx?ContentID=30221&CategoryID=30040 - broken link) and follow the link Leading Real Estate Companies of the world... that's a real useful source and quite accurate!

Old 12-08-2007, 01:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LunaMoth View Post
If you're VERY liberal, as you describe, check out Virginia Highlands / Decatur area. I think you will find like-minded people. The areas you mention tend to be on the conservative side.

Good luck!

Yeah, I've been thinking more and more about the Decatur area. Thanks for the reply! Much appreciated.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia