Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-15-2012, 11:30 AM

7,887 posts, read 17,192,862 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by cittic10 View Post
That's great. What if you're moving in from another state and have already paid sales tax?
I did that in 2007. At that time, provided the car had been registered in that other state for at least 6 months, you were exempt from GA sales tax when you title the vehicle in GA.

What you can't do is buy a car in another state, do a quick title and registration there, and then try to title it in GA. You have to have been a resident of that other state and the vehicle registered for at least 6 mo.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-16-2012, 08:03 AM
EVT

25 posts, read 85,515 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rcsteiner View Post
It would have to be a very nice car, since we've already determined in another recent thread that the Ad Valorem tax tends to be around 1% of value. If you can afford a $100k car, what's a $1k payment once a year?
It's a $1,000 payment, that's what it is. I don't know about anyone else driving expensive cars, but I can afford nice things because I don't have the mentality of "what's another $1000 a year?" Every dollar adds up.

I pay huge taxes at the federal, state and local levels on my income. Of the money I get to keep, I use some to purchase a nice car and then pay huge sales taxes on the cost of the car. At this point why should I be further punished every year? Have I not already paid the penalty of higher taxes at the point of sale?

Old 04-16-2012, 08:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EVT View Post
It's a $1,000 payment, that's what it is. I don't know about anyone else driving expensive cars, but I can afford nice things because I don't have the mentality of "what's another $1000 a year?" Every dollar adds up.

I pay huge taxes at the federal, state and local levels on my income. Of the money I get to keep, I use some to purchase a nice car and then pay huge sales taxes on the cost of the car. At this point why should I be further punished every year? Have I not already paid the penalty of higher taxes at the point of sale?
I understand your feelings, and after writing a large check to the IRS this weekend, I agree with the sentiment. However, what I think the other poster meant, and I can agree, is that if you purchase an expensive vehicle, you do so voluntarily, and you should understand the impacts and tax implications.

This new law will make all that moot, although I am wondering about the offsets necessary once the current tax revenue stops flowing. That side of the equation has not really been discussed.

Old 04-16-2012, 09:54 AM

11,334 posts, read 26,086,242 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EVT View Post
Yes, but this expense isn't a surprise. It has existed for years if not decades, and it should be factored in as part of the expense of owning a car in Georgia just like insurance payments and fuel.

I don't get it. If you really don't like it, live someplace where you can use public transport, or save some money and purchase a more practical vehicle.

I have no sympathy for you.

Old 04-16-2012, 09:57 AM

11,334 posts, read 26,086,242 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by neil0311 View Post
I understand your feelings, and after writing a large check to the IRS this weekend, I agree with the sentiment. However, what I think the other poster meant, and I can agree, is that if you purchase an expensive vehicle, you do so voluntarily, and you should understand the impacts and tax implications.
Precisely. It's a quantity you know in advance. Might as well whine about your subdivision dues every year...

Old 04-16-2012, 04:02 PM

2,118 posts, read 6,376,611 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by neil0311 View Post
I did that in 2007. At that time, provided the car had been registered in that other state for at least 6 months, you were exempt from GA sales tax when you title the vehicle in GA.

What you can't do is buy a car in another state, do a quick title and registration there, and then try to title it in GA. You have to have been a resident of that other state and the vehicle registered for at least 6 mo.
What I'm asking is say you move from out of state, where you've already paid sales tax somewhere else then you move to GA and have to pay a ~7% title tax? How is that a good thing for someone moving in to our out of the state?

Old 04-17-2012, 06:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cittic10 View Post
What I'm asking is say you move from out of state, where you've already paid sales tax somewhere else then you move to GA and have to pay a ~7% title tax? How is that a good thing for someone moving in to our out of the state?
Not sure if it applies to used vehicles brought in from out of state. This article doesn't mention specifically:

Annual car tax nears an end *| ajc.com

Of course, many states charge an "impact fee" when you move to there and bring a car into the state, so this wouldn't be unique. I doubt that they would charge a 7% fee to bring a car in from another state, and I think it's only for new vehicles.

One thing that does get added is that sales tax now applies for all used car sales, which it should. Almost all states (the article said except 2) impose sales tax for all used vehicles, usually paid directly when you register the vehicle.

Old 07-27-2013, 11:19 AM

97 posts, read 183,049 times
Default Vehicle registration costs in GA

What are the costs to register your vehicle in GA?

Old 07-27-2013, 11:46 AM

4,690 posts, read 10,420,226 times
Depends on a bunch fo different factors you didn't bother to include. So, the best anyone can do, is tell you to go look it up yourself. Top few links on this page will get you in the ballpark:

http://motor.etax.dor.ga.gov/motor/R...oRegister.aspx

Old 06-24-2015, 07:35 AM

102 posts, read 179,587 times
Question Questions about vehicle registration...

I am moving from Virginia to Georgia in late July. My Virginia registration just so happens to expire in July 31st. For the first month or two I will be staying with my in-laws as my own place in secured. So I have a few questions after seeing what I must provide to get a Georgia registration...

1.your birth certificate, your current US passport or other proof of citizenship
(No problem, I can do that)

2. your Social Security Card or other verification of your Social Security Number

QUESTION: Will my passport work for this portion as well?

3.two proofs of residence..recent utility bills, bank statements and rental contracts all work..

QUESTION: Not officially being the homeowner or on a lease yet where I am staying how do I provide two proofs of residence? I would not have a utility bill in my name

I don't want to drive around with expired Virginia tags until I finally secure an address of my own.
Totally new and totally confused about this process. Please give me some feedback.

Last edited by ncoflin; 06-24-2015 at 07:48 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia
View detailed profiles of: