Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-13-2007, 06:36 PM

2 posts, read 6,494 times

Advertisements

I am currently finishing up my graduate degree at UofM in Missoula and moving to Athens, GA for a job. I lived in Athens for a short time before I moved to Missoula (4 years ago). Basically, I'm okay with moving to Athens but I have acquired a boyfriend here in Montana (he's been here more than 10 years now) that needs some convincing... so i need some help.

How close are the mountains/outdoor recreation opportunities to Athens? We are into mountain biking and rock climbing in particular.

If anyone has experienced this sort of transition (west to south) that's really into the outdoors, I'd appreciate any sort of wisdom you might be able to share. I'm thinking in terms of coping with less wide open spaces (ie more development) and more difficulty accessing outdoor areas and dealing with more people traffic to enjoy the outdoors.

Any comparative insights are welcome!
Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-13-2007, 09:15 PM

123 posts, read 747,627 times
North GA. has some nice mountains, lots of recreation. However, I went the opposite route. I moved from GA. to the NW. ( Have since moved to the midwest ) Georgia does have excellent fishing and turkey hunting.

Old 08-13-2007, 09:43 PM

9,191 posts, read 33,880,495 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by olive228 View Post
I am currently finishing up my graduate degree at UofM in Missoula and moving to Athens, GA for a job. I lived in Athens for a short time before I moved to Missoula (4 years ago). Basically, I'm okay with moving to Athens but I have acquired a boyfriend here in Montana (he's been here more than 10 years now) that needs some convincing... so i need some help.

How close are the mountains/outdoor recreation opportunities to Athens? We are into mountain biking and rock climbing in particular.
Within an hour or so of Athens you have all of North Georgia to play in, and there's everything from rafting to biking and in some areas, rock climbing too. As well as small tourist towns to explore.

Athens is close enough to Atlanta to get some of its "junk" (smog, some traffic, etc), but it still retains a smaller town feel to it. Keep in mind it is a college town, so it can also be "party central" in some spots now and again.

I hope you don't mind the one problem area and through the years (no -decades - I'm giving away my age), I've seen this happen: If your boyfriend is happy where he's at, do not try to "nudge" him into moving to Athens with you against his inner will. Some guys simply go their own way, others will cave in and move to make you happy, and a few MIGHT adapt and wind up liking it. But if he's really happy back home where he's from, and you try to force the move on him and he caves in - more than likely he'll just eventually move back on his own anyway and all that will have done is to disrupt his life for a while. Make SURE that you BOTH really want this move and that it's in the best interest for both.

My Doctor Phil moment is now over.

Old 08-14-2007, 10:00 AM

387 posts, read 1,593,466 times
Yikes... that's a HUGE move. I have not been to Montana, but I've seen pictures and my good friend, fLOLridagirl has driven through and claimed it's one of the most beautiful places.

I'm guessing if Montana was ranked #1 for mountainous beauty and outdoorsy things to do... Athens would probably come in ranked at around -3487025.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia