Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-18-2011, 09:08 PM

635 posts, read 1,510,093 times

Advertisements

I love the state of Georgia, but why is there really only one city that can compete on a national scale. I mean Ohio: columbus, cincinnati, cleveland; Pennsylvania: pittsburgh, philadelphia; North Carolina: raleigh/durham, charlotte; Florida: tampa/st. Pete, miami/ft. Lauderdale, orlando. Why with a state so large and beautiful with so much historical significance have only one true tier 1 city?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-18-2011, 09:57 PM

99 posts, read 327,489 times
I don't live in Georgia, but I am looking at the states that you mentioned, and Atlanta's more influential globally than all but, perhaps, Florida (Miami-Ft. Lauderdale is obviously a major port city).

Atlanta is truly a national and international juggernaut that has a world class airport that is the world's busiest, connecting to almost every major city on the globe. It has hundreds of Fortune 500 companies, a transportation network of freeways that strategically connect to all corners of the nation (20/16/75/85), and a cheap cost-of-living, with affordable housing. It also serves as the location for many fine colleges and universities (Emory/Morehouse/Spelman/Agnes Scott/Georgia Tech), which, in turn, churns out high numbers of talented graduates, which means that the brain drain doesn't occur, much like in Ohio, Pennsylvania, or Michigan.

North Carolina has a wonderful array of economic opportunities, colleges and universities, a cheap cost-of-living, and access to the beach (which Georgia has as well), but it doesn't compare to Atlanta, for the aforementioned reasons, because of the lack of a great transportation network. Also, outside of the Triangle Region, there's not many well-known schools in the state.

Charlotte is a fabulous city that is finally starting to emerge as a powerhouse globally---well, as far as the banking and insurance sectors are concerned---but it reminds me of Atlanta, circa 1980-1985. Basically, quantity does not equate to QUALITY, and having Atlanta in the State of Georgia makes up for the lack of other notable cities.

Old 06-19-2011, 12:04 AM

4,582 posts, read 8,973,624 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bizurko View Post
I love the state of Georgia, but why is there really only one city that can compete on a national scale. I mean Ohio: columbus, cincinnati, cleveland; Pennsylvania: pittsburgh, philadelphia; North Carolina: raleigh/durham, charlotte; Florida: tampa/st. Pete, miami/ft. Lauderdale, orlando. Why with a state so large and beautiful with so much historical significance have only one true tier 1 city?
Honestly, it's not a big a deal as many trolls make it out to be. This subject has been run to the ground in the Georgia forum and lots of people in their respective cities (Augusta, Columbus, Macon, Savannah) try to give reason after reason as to why their city is #2 in the state.
I'm pretty sure the reason you don't find another Atlanta in the state of Georgia is because this state has a thing for preservation and history. Plus, politics and lots of conservatism so therefore, no New Orleans or Boston-like cities where you have your history and modern built side by side.

Now, hopefully after all that said, those guys won't come in here and start arguing again about it all.

Old 06-19-2011, 01:45 AM

2,014 posts, read 5,101,169 times
I'm slightly confused. Are you simply asking why Georgia doesnt have "bigger" cities or why we dont have more than 1 major city??? Because the vast majority of the cities you named wouldn't be considered 1st tier nationally, and also while they are bigger than the Georgia cities outside of Atlanta, most of the cities are on different tiers within their states as well.

Philly > Pittsburgh
Miami > Tampa/Orlando/JAX
Charlotte > Raleigh/Durham
Cleveland and NE Ohio > Cincy/Columbus

It doesnt bother me that we have only 1 major city, most states dont have multiple major cities anyway. Several have 0.
I dont know why the 2nd tier cities arent larger though. I would have expected SAV to be pretty big by now given it's past.

Old 06-19-2011, 08:15 AM

3,709 posts, read 5,987,701 times
If another city in GA hit 1 million that would really make the state a lot more diversified. 1 million seems to be the point where a city goes from being thought of as a "small city" to something that is somewhat major and significant.

Does anyone know the growth rates by MSA and CSA for the "next four" metros, as well as 2010 population? My impression is that none grew very fast.

Old 06-19-2011, 11:12 AM

101 posts, read 166,788 times
Savannah and Augusta have the posibility in being a teir city.

Old 06-19-2011, 03:33 PM

4,582 posts, read 8,973,624 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by testa50 View Post
If another city in GA hit 1 million that would really make the state a lot more diversified. 1 million seems to be the point where a city goes from being thought of as a "small city" to something that is somewhat major and significant.

Does anyone know the growth rates by MSA and CSA for the "next four" metros, as well as 2010 population? My impression is that none grew very fast.
I posted Savannah's numbers for city, MSA & CSA on Savannah's TRUE population in this (the main Georgia) forum.

Old 06-22-2011, 11:24 AM

94 posts, read 362,779 times
Rank of probability of becoming a tier 1 city:
1.Columbus
2. Savannah
3. Augusta
4. Albany
5. Valdosta
6. Macon

Old 06-22-2011, 07:09 PM

10 posts, read 20,802 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mountaineer_195 View Post
Rank of probability of becoming a tier 1 city:
1.Columbus
2. Savannah
3. Augusta
4. Albany
5. Valdosta
6. Macon

Columbus is already a tier 1 city.

Old 06-22-2011, 07:12 PM

14,798 posts, read 17,685,669 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by testa50 View Post

When did Atlanta hit 1 million? Isn't it like 500K?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia