Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-19-2010, 01:07 PM

13,900 posts, read 9,768,357 times

Advertisements

Hi y'all, I was wondering if Kingsland was an affordable, family-friendly area? My wife and I are thinking about moving to southeast Georgia and we were wondering if this would be a good move for us. Any information about this area would be a blessing. Thanks. God bless.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-20-2010, 10:05 AM

3 posts, read 12,569 times
Default I think you will like it

I moved here 2 years ago and have really enjoyed it. I have a 3 year old and baby and live in St Marys, which is right next door to Kingsland. You will find housing is very affordable, you can rent a small ranch in St Marys or Kingsland in a decent aread for under 1,000, and a 3br/2 bath brick ranch in nice neighborhood can be bought for under 150K. 250K and up you are looking at some nice homes in the newer developments, most of which have their own pools. Child care is much more affordable here than I was used to paying, my 3 year old goes to a day school 2 days a week for $100/month, and babysitters are cheap too. The beach is about 20 mins away at Fernadina beach, there is a bounce house in Fernadina where your kids can play on the huge inflateable slides inside an AC building for $5/hr. St Marys has a community pool you can go to for $3, a small water park in St Marys also, and on Jekyll Island about 30 mins away, which also has a beach. Many great churches with great youth programs around, and a significant military community which means plenty of children around. I would look for housing east of I-95 in Kingsland or St Marys, but the downtown area of Kingsland is not so great. St Marys has a great downtown, with a playground for the kids and resteraunts and lots of community festivals. Plenty of rec league sports for the kids, football is very big here. Plenty of other stuff to do with the kids in Jacksonville which is a half hour away, zoo (annual family memberships arent that much), childrens museam, chuck e cheese ect. Hope this is helpful, more than happy to answer other questions if you need more info.

Old 08-20-2010, 03:24 PM

5,864 posts, read 4,978,301 times
Kingsland is nice. You will be close to Jacksonville and Brunswick, and even Fernandina is a nice little town.

Old 11-07-2010, 08:28 AM

10 posts, read 86,128 times
We have lived in Kingsland for 11yrs now. We live within the city limits but our community is basically hidden and it is not a subdivision that requires Home Owners Association fees. There are currently 4-5 homes for sale in this area and all with large yards. It depends on what you are looking for. My house has a 1 acre lot and they all avg .50 - 1 acre here.
A good website for information on homes in Camden County GA is Welcome to the Camden County GIS Website . There is alot of useful info there.
The local tax office is 912 576 3248 and they will want the map and parcel number (from the website I mentioned) to give you the current property taxes. For example I live in a 1977 2000sqft brick ranch on 1 acre in Kingsland city limits and my property taxes this year were $1800 for county, school and city.
The power companies here are GA Power and Okeefenokee Power and they can give you avg pwr bills for a home you are interested in.
912 729 5613 is the city of Kingsland and they can give you the avg water bill of a house.
The largest employer here is the Trident Submarine Base (majority are civili service) and Trident Repair Facility (TRF). After that the rest of the area pretty much survives off HWY 95 with LOWES, Super Walmart, KMART, Express Scripts, and then the restaurant and grocery industry. Satilla Temps does all hiring for Electric Boat on the base.
Brunswick GA, Jacksonville FL and Waycross are all between 35-50 miles from Kingsland.

St Marys is 10 miles or 15 min from Kingsland, Woodbine is 14 Miles or 15-20 Min and Folkston is about 45 min (2 lane road).

There is not much to do here for kids. Most older kids hangout in the Walmart parking lot, movie theater parking lot or the St Marys waterfront until they get run off by the police. There are city play grounds for young kids.

Avg home cost is about $180000 for a 3 x 2. There are alot of nice foreclosures on the market as well. Prices run the range from about $150000 up to $600000 and a few that are more. Depends on whether you like living on the waterfront, in a subdivision or in the country with 3 acres. Most places in the county have above ground septic tanks and well water. Well water here has sulfur smell so most have water treatment equip.

Hope that helps

Old 11-19-2010, 06:52 AM

13,900 posts, read 9,768,357 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmarkes View Post
We have lived in Kingsland for 11yrs now. We live within the city limits but our community is basically hidden and it is not a subdivision that requires Home Owners Association fees. There are currently 4-5 homes for sale in this area and all with large yards. It depends on what you are looking for. My house has a 1 acre lot and they all avg .50 - 1 acre here.
A good website for information on homes in Camden County GA is Welcome to the Camden County GIS Website . There is alot of useful info there.
The local tax office is 912 576 3248 and they will want the map and parcel number (from the website I mentioned) to give you the current property taxes. For example I live in a 1977 2000sqft brick ranch on 1 acre in Kingsland city limits and my property taxes this year were $1800 for county, school and city.
The power companies here are GA Power and Okeefenokee Power and they can give you avg pwr bills for a home you are interested in.
912 729 5613 is the city of Kingsland and they can give you the avg water bill of a house.
The largest employer here is the Trident Submarine Base (majority are civili service) and Trident Repair Facility (TRF). After that the rest of the area pretty much survives off HWY 95 with LOWES, Super Walmart, KMART, Express Scripts, and then the restaurant and grocery industry. Satilla Temps does all hiring for Electric Boat on the base.
Brunswick GA, Jacksonville FL and Waycross are all between 35-50 miles from Kingsland.

St Marys is 10 miles or 15 min from Kingsland, Woodbine is 14 Miles or 15-20 Min and Folkston is about 45 min (2 lane road).

There is not much to do here for kids. Most older kids hangout in the Walmart parking lot, movie theater parking lot or the St Marys waterfront until they get run off by the police. There are city play grounds for young kids.

Avg home cost is about $180000 for a 3 x 2. There are alot of nice foreclosures on the market as well. Prices run the range from about $150000 up to $600000 and a few that are more. Depends on whether you like living on the waterfront, in a subdivision or in the country with 3 acres. Most places in the county have above ground septic tanks and well water. Well water here has sulfur smell so most have water treatment equip.

Hope that helps
Thank you very much for the great information. God bless.

Old 11-20-2010, 02:39 PM

37 posts, read 105,841 times
I lived in Kingsland and I miss it. I plan on going back. West Ga ..North West Ga, my home area sucks period. Nothing here but a lot of redneck wanta be millionaires. I reallllllllly miss Kingsland.
In Kingsland and Kings Bay......Things are much nicer and IMO safer.
Good luck ..the folks told you the truth above.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia