Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-10-2007, 06:43 PM

68 posts, read 229,131 times

Advertisements

I've been on several threads and just can't decide where to go. My husband and I have talked for a long time about Alaska. We love the snow and the cold-where we live in New Hampshire we get some of both but not what we want. We would like to be about one and a half hr drive to a VA hospital--my husband is a veteran. We also want to be closer to our kids -son is a Marine in 29 Palms CA and daughter and her family are stationed there also. New Hampshire is a bit far from them(the drive across country is great) but we think Alaska isn't really being realistic. So, now we're thinking somewhere in the midwest to Pacific northwest--SD, ND, MT, WY, ID, OR or WA. We want to find a small town(2500 or less) and a safe town. A place where the neighbors are friendly. We also would like to be in a conservative area if possible. Any suggestion? Thanks for taking time to read this.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-10-2007, 07:19 PM

1,299 posts, read 2,859,411 times
Smile The Black Hills

Hot Springs, near the south end of the Black Hills has a V A hospital that should fulfill your husbands needs. Hot Springs has a population of about 7400 people, so it might be larger than you want and they don't have a lot of snow and cold in Hot Springs itself. There are several towns within a 1.5 hour drive of Hot Springs that have the winters that you can enjoy. Hermosa, Keystone, & Hill City are 3 that come to mind and they would have the size, low crime rate, and friendly neighbors you ask for. I assume you mean politically conservative when you mention conservative people. I have found that most South Dakotans tend to be middle of the roaders, but conservative is a relative term and means different things to different people so your best bet is to just drive out there and check it out.

Good Luck

Old 06-11-2007, 08:51 PM

6 posts, read 19,059 times
Default moving

I would suggest a move to Eastern Washington State. There is a VA Medical Center in Walla Walla. Try Dayton, Washington, town about 2500 people maybe 40 minute drive from Walla Walla.

Ranching based communities are not welcoming to strangers. It generally takes 20 years of association before you are accepted.

You'd be better off moving into a larger community.

Old 06-14-2007, 08:09 PM

18,700 posts, read 42,095,058 times
Uncleharley has a wonderful idea.

People in South Dakota are wonderful and accomidating. Hot Springs has a VA that is great. My stepmother was a RN there for many years. But if you are looking strictly at location, you might think about Sturgis. It's two alternatives. Both are outstanding. I used to live in Rapid and could go either directions. Both were great.

You'd think that the bigger city would have the facilities. Nope. It's the down home folks in the smaller town that have what you need.

I have wrote it out in my will that I will be put in the National Cemetary outside Sturgis. It is so beautiful and serene that you cannot believe. I will deffinately rest in piece. It is so beautiful.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.