Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-05-2018, 10:51 PM

20 posts, read 26,119 times

Advertisements

A little about me...

30M/Single
Currently in Columbus, OH - previously lived in Cincinnati
From central IL
Family in IL, MI

I started a new job at the beginning of the year where I work remote from home with travel Monday-Thursday 2-3x a month (let's say up to 75%). My lease is up at the end of August and I'm planning to move elsewhere.

Some of the things I'm looking for:
  • less snow/weather that's good for more golfing or driving a sports car more often
  • I need to get allergy tested, but in general Columbus and Cincinnati have both driven me nuts at times with allergies
  • I'm sort of over the party scene. A few years ago I'd have put that high on the list, now it's pretty low.
  • Somewhere that has an airport hub would be a plus but it's not absolutely necessary. Should at least have a decent airport though since my travel general involves flying.
  • Not terribly concerned about COL, but not interested in a super high cost of living area either. Something around $1600 for rent for a one bedroom is as much as I'd want to spend, especially considering the amount that I travel
  • Strong IT/Engineering/Manufacturing in the area would be a plus in case I were to no longer be able to work remotely/lost this job (no plans or reason to think otherwise for now)
  • Somewhere that's not terribly far from IL would be a plus
  • I enjoy shooting firearms, so somewhere gun friendly would be a plus

I've thought about several options...

Nashville - should have better weather, less snow, nice scenery, only an hour farther drive than Columbus to home in IL. Guessing the allergies aren't much different than Columbus, airport is not a hub.

Dallas - DFW is a huge plus. Has a direct flight home. Very little snow. I love BBQ. Maybe crazy hot/humid at times?

Denver - hub airport for United, nice scenery, lots of sun, has snow but usually doesn't last long from what I've read.

Indianapolis - if I were to stay in the midwest, it's basically Columbus/Cincinnati but 2 or so hours closer to family. Have some friends there. That's about it though. Negatives would be the same weather.

Chicago - O'Hare, have some friends there, most anything you could ever want to do in a city, but weather sucks, a couple hours from home. Can't have the firearms that I have. Illinois/Chicago real estate tax is insane if I were to buy a house, and the state is in the gutter.

Charlotte - hub for AA, warmer weather but can be crazy humid from what I've read. Nice scenery.

Cincinnati - my best friend still lives there, otherwise wouldn't have any interest - Columbus is nicer/better of the two in my opinion.

I'm open to hearing thoughts and ideas. In no way am I narrowed down to this list of cities. To be honest, I'm kind of overwhelmed. When I moved to Cincinnati and then to Columbus, it was for jobs that I wanted and the destinations were acceptable based on that, so it wasn't a choice. Now, it's hard to figure out.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-06-2018, 07:55 AM

8,090 posts, read 6,957,035 times
What is your preferred environment? Urban? Suburban? Do you prefer walkability? What’s your “scene”?

Old 07-06-2018, 07:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gladhands View Post
What is your preferred environment? Urban? Suburban? Do you prefer walkability? What’s your “scene”?
Well, I want to buy a house in the next couple years and I want it to have a 2 car garage. So if that means suburban then so be it. Right now I live in an urban environment that's pretty walkable. Have a garage at the apartment complex for my sports car and there's plenty of street parking for my beater.

I like sports in general, playing golf, cars, firearms, good food.

Old 07-06-2018, 07:32 PM

7,733 posts, read 6,453,412 times
Something tells me you would like Fort Worth.

Old 07-06-2018, 07:42 PM

11,477 posts, read 11,552,056 times
Dallas sounds right.

Old 07-06-2018, 08:12 PM

1,841 posts, read 1,490,023 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zogster View Post
A little about me...

30M/Single
Currently in Columbus, OH - previously lived in Cincinnati
From central IL
Family in IL, MI

I started a new job at the beginning of the year where I work remote from home with travel Monday-Thursday 2-3x a month (let's say up to 75%). My lease is up at the end of August and I'm planning to move elsewhere.

Some of the things I'm looking for:
  • less snow/weather that's good for more golfing or driving a sports car more often
  • I need to get allergy tested, but in general Columbus and Cincinnati have both driven me nuts at times with allergies
  • I'm sort of over the party scene. A few years ago I'd have put that high on the list, now it's pretty low.
  • Somewhere that has an airport hub would be a plus but it's not absolutely necessary. Should at least have a decent airport though since my travel general involves flying.
  • Not terribly concerned about COL, but not interested in a super high cost of living area either. Something around $1600 for rent for a one bedroom is as much as I'd want to spend, especially considering the amount that I travel
  • Strong IT/Engineering/Manufacturing in the area would be a plus in case I were to no longer be able to work remotely/lost this job (no plans or reason to think otherwise for now)
  • Somewhere that's not terribly far from IL would be a plus
  • I enjoy shooting firearms, so somewhere gun friendly would be a plus

I've thought about several options...

Nashville - should have better weather, less snow, nice scenery, only an hour farther drive than Columbus to home in IL. Guessing the allergies aren't much different than Columbus, airport is not a hub.

Dallas - DFW is a huge plus. Has a direct flight home. Very little snow. I love BBQ. Maybe crazy hot/humid at times?

Denver - hub airport for United, nice scenery, lots of sun, has snow but usually doesn't last long from what I've read.

Indianapolis - if I were to stay in the midwest, it's basically Columbus/Cincinnati but 2 or so hours closer to family. Have some friends there. That's about it though. Negatives would be the same weather.

Chicago - O'Hare, have some friends there, most anything you could ever want to do in a city, but weather sucks, a couple hours from home. Can't have the firearms that I have. Illinois/Chicago real estate tax is insane if I were to buy a house, and the state is in the gutter.

Charlotte - hub for AA, warmer weather but can be crazy humid from what I've read. Nice scenery.

Cincinnati - my best friend still lives there, otherwise wouldn't have any interest - Columbus is nicer/better of the two in my opinion.

I'm open to hearing thoughts and ideas. In no way am I narrowed down to this list of cities. To be honest, I'm kind of overwhelmed. When I moved to Cincinnati and then to Columbus, it was for jobs that I wanted and the destinations were acceptable based on that, so it wasn't a choice. Now, it's hard to figure out.

I am a 20 M and in college. I am an IT major (assuming you are one too). I agree with you. I want to move somewhere with better weather too. Party scene isn't a huge thing for me either (although I am in my 20s). Party scene is only a "temporary" part of life anyway.

I have relatives who have moved from Ontario, Canada to the South in the US for warmer weather and golfing. My dad's uncle and the wife from Ontario have a winter home in North Carolina and it's good for golfing. Snow in Canada is brutal. My dad's uncle from New Jersey is moving to Florida soon, because he wants more and cheaper land so he can have a nice garden all year round.

Out of all the places you mentioned, just move wherever is in the South. The North would be too cold for you to do golfing most of the year.

Tbh, I don't give a s*** about me wanting to move far from where I live (NJ) after college. I don't like the East at all. I know you care about living closer your hometown though.

Old 07-06-2018, 11:10 PM

438 posts, read 376,247 times
Dallas sounds right up your alley in my personal opinion. There's plenty for the middle aged crowd to do outside of work and I've had several friends in their late 20s love the young professional vibe of the city. The airport is a plus and I think it's worth investing in the city. I've never golfed much, but the couple times I have it's been in Dallas which I actually enjoyed.

Denver is pretty nice and has really grown up into a real city vs a big cow town. But weed is a big part of the industry boom and while I'm sure the city will retain a lot of the tech jobs they've gotten recently, I'm not sure how much more they'll get. Denver is also pretty expensive and I don't feel like the current cost gives you the same quality of life as Dallas. Also, my husband has sever allergy problems and asthma. He can breath much better in Denver then in the PNW and we even try visiting during his bad months here. Maybe that's something you could look into to see if that's a possible positive.

Old 07-07-2018, 06:55 AM

11,477 posts, read 11,552,056 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by musicfamly5 View Post
Dallas sounds right up your alley in my personal opinion. There's plenty for the middle aged crowd to do outside of work and I've had several friends in their late 20s love the young professional vibe of the city. The airport is a plus and I think it's worth investing in the city. I've never golfed much, but the couple times I have it's been in Dallas which I actually enjoyed.

Denver is pretty nice and has really grown up into a real city vs a big cow town. But weed is a big part of the industry boom and while I'm sure the city will retain a lot of the tech jobs they've gotten recently, I'm not sure how much more they'll get. Denver is also pretty expensive and I don't feel like the current cost gives you the same quality of life as Dallas. Also, my husband has sever allergy problems and asthma. He can breath much better in Denver then in the PNW and we even try visiting during his bad months here. Maybe that's something you could look into to see if that's a possible positive.
There is plenty of data out there to show what a small part of Denver’s overall economy weed makes up. Nobody seems to want to read it. Drops in the bucket.

Old 07-07-2018, 02:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by potanta View Post
I am a 20 M and in college. I am an IT major (assuming you are one too). I agree with you. I want to move somewhere with better weather too. Party scene isn't a huge thing for me either (although I am in my 20s). Party scene is only a "temporary" part of life anyway.

I have relatives who have moved from Ontario, Canada to the South in the US for warmer weather and golfing. My dad's uncle and the wife from Ontario have a winter home in North Carolina and it's good for golfing. Snow in Canada is brutal. My dad's uncle from New Jersey is moving to Florida soon, because he wants more and cheaper land so he can have a nice garden all year round.

Out of all the places you mentioned, just move wherever is in the South. The North would be too cold for you to do golfing most of the year.

Tbh, I don't give a s*** about me wanting to move far from where I live (NJ) after college. I don't like the East at all. I know you care about living closer your hometown though.
Yeah, at 20 I would have been all about the party scene, but my body can't handle that any more. Hangovers were not a thing at 20 no matter how hard I partied, at 30, it's much different and not worth it.

If I didn't have family in the midwest I'd have no pull to stay close.

Quote:
Originally Posted by musicfamly5 View Post

Sounds like lots of votes for DFW. I can fly DFW to hometown for holidays and such on a 2 hour flight... 12.5k miles round trip, which is nothing, I earn that many miles about every month. So it's far from home but also quick and "cheap" to get there when I want to.

Thanks for the note on Denver being good for allergies for your husband. Someone that works at the same company as me lives in Fort Collins, CO, and was on a project with me in Columbus, and has bad allergies in Columbus (like me) but not in Fort Collins. So that was one reason I was thinking Denver may not be a bad spot. Does your husband have allergy problems in Dallas?

The HQ for my company is also in Denver, not that it really matters (I'd say at least 85% of the employees live somewhere besides Denver), but I guess it could be a positive if I work at this company for a while.

Last edited by zogster; 07-07-2018 at 02:24 PM..

Old 07-07-2018, 08:38 PM

6,721 posts, read 6,477,145 times
Congrats, I am in the same boat and here in the Chicago burbs I sit.

The burbs are gun friendly, you'll need to jump through a few extra hoops, like getting a FOID card and attending a 16 hour gun course, but after that you're golden and can carry concealed.

Indy may be a good fit too. Not too far and lower overall COL. Also, there are a few worthy Chicago burbs in NWI (NorthWest Indiana) so you get the benefits of Chicago without all the taxes.

I like Nashville too, but it's just too damn hot! Same with Texas. I prefer the snow and cold over scorching Summers.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.