Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-18-2010, 10:43 PM

4,552 posts, read 15,023,547 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Southlander View Post
Let me add a college football game or two to your list. A home LSU game...start EARLY for the tailgating...Ole Miss...my alma mater Alabama...our rival Auburn...it's not just the game. It's the fans, the socializing, the dress, the rituals, the stadii.

yeah, I would recomend taking in a college football game too, I would have but I was there in August so just a tad too early for college football season, but the locals appeared to be ready, I seen all kinds of trucks decorated with Alabama Crimson Tide decals and flags and all sorts of stuff, very dedicated fans and it seems like all the sports stores focused more on Bama and Auburn stuff more than anything else.

I know who the Alabama natives are here, I've actually seen a couple trucks here decorated in the Bama stuff.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-19-2010, 09:13 AM

3,378 posts, read 5,007,970 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by desert sun View Post
yeah, I would recomend taking in a college football game too, I would have but I was there in August so just a tad too early for college football season, but the locals appeared to be ready, I seen all kinds of trucks decorated with Alabama Crimson Tide decals and flags and all sorts of stuff, very dedicated fans and it seems like all the sports stores focused more on Bama and Auburn stuff more than anything else.

I know who the Alabama natives are here, I've actually seen a couple trucks here decorated in the Bama stuff.
Seems cool, but I'm going in July so, I think that's off-season.

Old 01-19-2010, 10:28 AM

4,923 posts, read 11,186,506 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Desert kid View Post
Seems cool, but I'm going in July so, I think that's off-season.
There's no off season in the South.

They may not be playing games, but there's no off-season!

Old 01-19-2010, 11:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by skinem View Post
There's no off season in the South.

They may not be playing games, but there's no off-season!
Oh I get it! Football fandom down there never ends.

Old 01-22-2010, 01:56 AM

29,391 posts, read 55,581,822 times
Nashville Tennessee

Things To Do in Nashville

Things to Do in Nashville - Nashville Attractions - IgoUgo

Old 01-24-2010, 02:30 PM

I wonder what to expect of the people, because I'm going to be far out of my element with this one. I'll admit, I have had no real contact with the south's culture.

Old 01-25-2010, 07:21 AM

843 posts, read 1,431,557 times
Be friendly! Don't be afraid to talk to people. They will open up if you ask, hey would you recommend a good place to eat or some place local I should go see? The more you talk to southerns the more friendly we are.

Old 01-25-2010, 07:30 AM

4,923 posts, read 11,186,506 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mcatp View Post
Be friendly! Don't be afraid to talk to people. They will open up if you ask, hey would you recommend a good place to eat or some place local I should go see? The more you talk to southerns the more friendly we are.
+1.

Generally the friendliest area of the country. Also, slow down, take your time, don't get impatient with people.

And as with visiting any place, be respectful of people and not critical of the place!

Old 01-25-2010, 09:36 PM

61 posts, read 35,157 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Desert kid View Post
I wonder what to expect of the people, because I'm going to be far out of my element with this one. I'll admit, I have had no real contact with the south's culture.
Hi Desert Kid,

As a southern gent you are expected to:

1. Hold the door for the ladies and the elderly. Most of us ladies will just smile and say thank you. That's how I was raised.
2. Always let others go before you. Whether you are driving, getting off of public transportation, or walking into a building.
3. DO NOT HONK YOUR CAR HORN.
4. Remember your manners. Say "Please, sir, thank you, and ma'am"
5. Be courteous
6. Treat others how you expect to be treated.
7. Be a gentleman.
8. Do not rush people. It is consider rude here.

Follow these rules and you will have a wonderful trip here. Especially if you plan on living here someday.

We are in general friendly folks. I'm not sure how things are in Arizona, but you said you been to Texas right? That should be some exposure to southern culture.

Old 01-25-2010, 10:59 PM

4,552 posts, read 15,023,547 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PrincessLove View Post
Hi Desert Kid,

As a southern gent you are expected to:

1. Hold the door for the ladies and the elderly. Most of us ladies will just smile and say thank you. That's how I was raised.
2. Always let others go before you. Whether you are driving, getting off of public transportation, or walking into a building.
3. DO NOT HONK YOUR CAR HORN.
4. Remember your manners. Say "Please, sir, thank you, and ma'am"
5. Be courteous
6. Treat others how you expect to be treated.
7. Be a gentleman.
8. Do not rush people. It is consider rude here.

Follow these rules and you will have a wonderful trip here. Especially if you plan on living here someday.

We are in general friendly folks. I'm not sure how things are in Arizona, but you said you been to Texas right? That should be some exposure to southern culture.

I think thats how it should be everywhere, for the most part maybe thats just small town manners cause thats how it was where I was from, now ABQ is a whole different story, these people act like the world will end if they have to let you go infront of them or stop pushing their cart so you can get by, wether it be walking or driving, they **** me off, and Im ready to move back to the small town life, or at least a smaller city.

Desert Kid- you should be fine, from your posts you sound very respectful, I was treated pretty good in the South, no one pissed me off the whole week I was there. Even the Southerners who live here that I have came in contact with have been really nice and outgoing, this old Southern lady even gave me some candy the other day when I was at work.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.