Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-27-2009, 02:15 PM

27 posts, read 90,428 times

Advertisements

I'm 22 female, about to be finished with school, looking to get out of the metro Detroit area. I would like to move in the next two months or so. I will be moving with a friend or two.

Here is what I am looking for:
- Something with charm or character, by this I mean I don't want to move to somewhere like Orlando (no offense).
- I would prefer something big city-ish. I am working in the restaurant/hotel industry, and would probably have better luck in a larger city.
- I act my age, I need a downtown life and others like myself.
- I'm indifferent about weather at the moment, I've always wanted warmer but I'm not sure I can give up snow.

Places I've researched so far:
Honolulu (unrealistic, I've accepted it, but I can still dream)
NYC (maybe in a few years, but I'm not ready to give up my car and I don't think I can afford the city just yet)
Nashville (never been, but it appears to have character, and appears affordable - I mostly researched Edgefield, because I got the impression that would be the best place for some 20's something year olds)
Denver (again, never been, I'm intrigued by the scenery, appears affordable, though I am not sure what area to be looking at. I have a friend living there who loves it and says jobs are available. I'm also curious about their winters - preferably compared to MI winters)
New Orleans (I haven't researched a whole lot, because to be honest I'm iffy when it comes to safety/affordability - but it gives a good example of the character i am looking for)

Basically I am looking for ideas of cities to continue to research, possibly with some direction on what part of the city to look at for living. Since I am not sure who I am moving with yet I'm not sure what to say my price range is... basically $400/person with rent though (so 2bedrooms = $800ish).... I would be flexible though for the right place... whether that is an apartment/townhouse/home.

By the way, my moving buddies include another 22yr old girl who works in the spa industry, and a 26yr guy that will probably be going back to school once we relocate.

I also understand I am probably better off traveling a little more to find I place more suitable, but I am currently unemployed and have had zero luck finding a job around here - meaning my funds are limited and I would prefer to use what I do have for moving purposes.

So all in all, my options are rather limitless and endless.

Last edited by emlandry; 11-27-2009 at 02:24 PM.. Reason: Added Info
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-27-2009, 02:57 PM

93,326 posts, read 123,972,828 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by emlandry View Post
I'm 22 female, about to be finished with school, looking to get out of the metro Detroit area. I would like to move in the next two months or so. I will be moving with a friend or two.

Here is what I am looking for:
- Something with charm or character, by this I mean I don't want to move to somewhere like Orlando (no offense).
- I would prefer something big city-ish. I am working in the restaurant/hotel industry, and would probably have better luck in a larger city.
- I act my age, I need a downtown life and others like myself.
- I'm indifferent about weather at the moment, I've always wanted warmer but I'm not sure I can give up snow.

Places I've researched so far:
Honolulu (unrealistic, I've accepted it, but I can still dream)
NYC (maybe in a few years, but I'm not ready to give up my car and I don't think I can afford the city just yet)
Nashville (never been, but it appears to have character, and appears affordable - I mostly researched Edgefield, because I got the impression that would be the best place for some 20's something year olds)
Denver (again, never been, I'm intrigued by the scenery, appears affordable, though I am not sure what area to be looking at. I have a friend living there who loves it and says jobs are available. I'm also curious about their winters - preferably compared to MI winters)
New Orleans (I haven't researched a whole lot, because to be honest I'm iffy when it comes to safety/affordability - but it gives a good example of the character i am looking for)

Basically I am looking for ideas of cities to continue to research, possibly with some direction on what part of the city to look at for living. Since I am not sure who I am moving with yet I'm not sure what to say my price range is... basically $400/person with rent though (so 2bedrooms = $800ish).... I would be flexible though for the right place... whether that is an apartment/townhouse/home.

By the way, my moving buddies include another 22yr old girl who works in the spa industry, and a 26yr guy that will probably be going back to school once we relocate.

I also understand I am probably better off traveling a little more to find I place more suitable, but I am currently unemployed and have had zero luck finding a job around here - meaning my funds are limited and I would prefer to use what I do have for moving purposes.

So all in all, my options are rather limitless and endless.
I was thinking that due to your friends that are coming along with you, you might(big might) consider the Albany area of NY. Saratoga Springs is a big spa city that isn't too far and there are plenty of good schools in the area. I'm sure exactly an area you might like there only because Saratoga is about an hour from Albany. Saratoga Springs does have a nice charm to it and a nightlife that is good for it's size. Other neighborhoods in the area you might like are the Lark Street area of Albany, around Union College in Schenectady and around RPI in Troy. Here's some information you might like to look at: Saratoga County Chamber Of Commerce: The Official Saratoga Springs NY Online Guide!
City of Saratoga Springs
Visit Saratoga! Racing, Tourism & Travel Guide to Saratoga Springs NY: Find Hotels, Events, Restaurants & Real Estate
Downtown Saratoga Springs - Discover It Again And Again
Find Spas, Mineral Springs And More At Saratoga In Upstate New York

Welcome to Albany, NY!
The Official Site of the City of Albany, NY
Lark Street BID :: Welcome
Center Square Association : HomePage
Mansion Neighborhood - Albany, NY
Home
Neighborhoods - The Official Site of the City of Albany, NY
Delaware Area Neighborhood - Albany NY

Say Schenectady - Schenectady Events, Schenectady Attractions, Hotels, Reunions, Restaurants, Albany, Saratoga, Cooperstown, Erie Canal,Stockade, historic, proctors
Upper Union Street Business Improvement District|Upper Union Street Business Improvement District
Homepage - Downtown Schenectady Improvement Corporation
Schenectady::Neighborhood Asscociations

Troy NY Neighborhoods (http://www.troyny.gov/neighborhoods.html - broken link)
Troy Little Italy - Troy, New York
Washington Park Association of Troy, NY

NYCD Higher: The Capital District area's colleges and universities--Capital District, New York, USA

You also have nice smaller cities like Glens Falls and Hudson nearby. You can get to the Adirondack Mountains within an hour too.

Old 11-27-2009, 03:01 PM

6,041 posts, read 11,471,869 times
Out of the places you listed, I'd say Nashville is the best choice.

Old 11-27-2009, 04:27 PM

3,635 posts, read 10,748,416 times
Not Nashville. It's hardly a city. It's more suburban and sprawly. The density is only 1260 people per sq mi, which is very low for a city. You can be out in the country and still be in the city limits.

Downtown is a cool, fun place. One of the better downtowns I've been to, but outside of Downtown, there's not much else in Nashville.

Old 11-27-2009, 05:54 PM

5,888 posts, read 13,008,662 times
If you are in the Hotel Restaurant Business Try:

1) San Diego, CA; Orange County, CA (affordable with a group a friends sharing expenses) in orange county stay west of the 405 freeway.

2) NYC (again affordable with a group a friends sharing expenses) You don't have to live in Manhattan. The Borough and Hoboken are all pretty cool places where you can keep your car

3) The Florida Keys

4) New Orleans. My niece is a ditzy girly-girl. She is doing fine there. Nothing to be afraid of.

Saratoga is appealing, but does not have the big city vibe (Forget Troy/Albany/Rensselaer), you may as well stay in Detroit.

Old 11-27-2009, 06:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DinsdalePirahna View Post
If you are in the Hotel Restaurant Business Try:

1) San Diego, CA; Orange County, CA (affordable with a group a friends sharing expenses) in orange county stay west of the 405 freeway.

2) NYC (again affordable with a group a friends sharing expenses) You don't have to live in Manhattan. The Borough and Hoboken are all pretty cool places where you can keep your car

3) The Florida Keys

4) New Orleans. My niece is a ditzy girly-girl. She is doing fine there. Nothing to be afraid of.

Saratoga is appealing, but does not have the big city vibe (Forget Troy/Albany/Rensselaer), you may as well stay in Detroit.
What does that mean? Albany is one of the oldest cities in the US and has plenty of character and charm to it. Same with Troy, Saratoga Springs and Schenectady. It is a metro of about 1 million now too. Saratoga County is one of, if not the fastest growing county in NY State. Capital District - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Saratoga_Springs,_New_York

Last edited by ckhthankgod; 11-27-2009 at 06:37 PM..

Old 11-27-2009, 06:32 PM

5,888 posts, read 13,008,662 times
I'm originally from the Poughkeepsie area - Halfway between NYC and Albany. Do you really think we went to Albany for *****s and Giggles?

I just spent 3 months in Albany last summer While I would recommend it way above Saint Louis (where I currently live), it is not exactly a charming city and neither is the surrounding area. Yes it would also be a step up from Detroit, too. But the NY capital district is not on my list of places to live.

On the other hand, I could entirely feel comfortable in Saratoga (except for the cold). Its a great little community, with a very traditional, yet hip feel to hit. Very much like the Hamptons, but without the attitudes and price tag.

Old 11-27-2009, 06:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DinsdalePirahna View Post
I'm originally from the Poughkeepsie area - Halfway between NYC and Albany. Do you really think we went to Albany for *****s and Giggles?

I just spent 3 months in Albany last summer While I would recommend it way above Saint Louis (where I currently live), it is not exactly a charming city and neither is the surrounding area. Yes it would also be a step up from Detroit, too. But the NY capital district is not on my list of places to live.

On the other hand, I could entirely feel comfortable in Saratoga (except for the cold). Its a great little community, with a very traditional, yet hip feel to hit. Very much like the Hamptons, but without the attitudes and price tag.
That's why I recommended the Spa City to the OP. She has a friend in that spa business and there is plenty of tourism there. So, I would think there would be quite a bit of work for someone in the restaurant/hotel business. You also have a nice arts scene with galleries and the Saratoga Performing Arts Center(aka SPAC) there too. Nearby Glens Falls isn't a bad little city either.

I added information about Albany as an alternative to the scene in Saratoga. I would think that the OP would like the Lark Street area of Albany, Upper Union ave. in Schenectady or Little Italy in Troy for a change of pace. You also have the Adirondacks close by. Lake George would also be a good spot to check out in the area.

There are plenty of good colleges in the area as well for her male friend to attend as well.

Old 11-28-2009, 07:53 AM

5,251 posts, read 13,818,272 times
I would suggest Bayonne, NJ since it's extremely close to NYC, and I think with your range of rent, it's possible to find something without it being in a ghetto.

I wouldn't say the town is "all" charming, but it's very blue collar, and it's similar to it's very close by borough of Staten Island. I know a couple people who started off life on their own by renting in Bayonne. (It's cheaper than NYC, and a lot of NNJ)

I'm pretty sure that hotels and restaurants are plentiful in and around nearby Jersey City/Manhattan.

Old 11-28-2009, 08:12 AM

8,900 posts, read 15,939,050 times
I don't think you would be able to find anything in metro NYC with a budget of $400/month in rent. My sister pays $550/month for her share, and that's a really rare find. It's about a 50 minute train ride from midtown on Long Island.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.