Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-13-2009, 12:44 PM

330 posts, read 1,084,611 times

Advertisements

I am looking in to moving from NY for warmer weather. I cant take any more snow!! I currently run a successful landscaping business and want to work more than 6 months per year. I am looking for suggestions on where to move down south, considering weather(my biggest concern), a large enough population with disposable income, decent schools and quality of life. When I decide on a general area, I plan on buying an existing business in that area to get a start, so I will not be looking for a job. This is probably a 1 to 2 year plan I am thinking. Give me your thoughts.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-15-2009, 05:04 AM

27,176 posts, read 43,867,759 times
Myrtle Beach/Conway, SC or Greenville/Spartanburg, SC come to mind. Both are growing areas with an influx of people from all over the US. The density of relocations to those cities has improved the school systems with more tax dollars. Both areas have a nice quality of life with their proximity to great outdoor activities(beach or mountains).

Old 11-15-2009, 06:22 AM

1,108 posts, read 4,216,939 times
Cool Take Some Trips

Since you are off 6 months of the year...take a few trips down south to different areas you are interested in...Naples in Florida is one of the richest communities in the world...but there is alot of competition and from what I have seen...the competition continually undercuts each other to steal the job from you...perhaps you could google richest communities in the south and begin your search there...but rumor has it that NY will be getting alot of snow this year...don't you do snow plowing like every other land scaper???

Old 11-15-2009, 07:05 AM

4,194 posts, read 11,688,532 times
Landscaping is big in FL and its year round. Look in to a upper class community somewhere there.

Old 11-16-2009, 02:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rusty78 View Post
Since you are off 6 months of the year...take a few trips down south to different areas you are interested in...Naples in Florida is one of the richest communities in the world...but there is alot of competition and from what I have seen...the competition continually undercuts each other to steal the job from you...perhaps you could google richest communities in the south and begin your search there...but rumor has it that NY will be getting alot of snow this year...don't you do snow plowing like every other land scaper???

Yes, I plow in winters, but after 15 yrs of it I've had enough of the snow. 2AM comes real early. I can get away in the winter as my employees can handle the plowing without me if needed. We actually just got back from Orlando and we looked around a little, but didnt really know where the good and bad areas were. Not sure if we want to deal with that much heat, the people on the florida forums really make it sound bad.

I have thought about parts of SC as well as florida, they both sound good. I do spend time looking around on the florida forums but the negativity on there makes me choke. Can it be that bad down there?

Old 11-16-2009, 03:15 PM

1,034 posts, read 4,391,608 times
Have you given any thoughts to areas in the south-west, like Albuquerque, NM and Phoenix or Tucson, AZ? Lots of desert landscaping here, but little to no snow in the winter months and absolutely beautiful winters.

Old 11-16-2009, 03:17 PM

4,836 posts, read 12,003,070 times
Miami: Lots of rich people, good weather all year, huge population.

Old 11-17-2009, 05:44 AM

1,108 posts, read 4,216,939 times
Cool Negativity!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by dnc19694339 View Post
Yes, I plow in winters, but after 15 yrs of it I've had enough of the snow. 2AM comes real early. I can get away in the winter as my employees can handle the plowing without me if needed. We actually just got back from Orlando and we looked around a little, but didnt really know where the good and bad areas were. Not sure if we want to deal with that much heat, the people on the florida forums really make it sound bad.

I have thought about parts of SC as well as florida, they both sound good. I do spend time looking around on the florida forums but the negativity on there makes me choke. Can it be that bad down there?
There is negativity on every board when it comes to where you live......and I have never...ever found a place where everyone is happy...so only you can decide if you will be happy there......currently my wife and I have been looking into the Sarasota area and I believe this area would fit your needs...but...the HEAT comes with a Florida move...

We have also looked into the Carolina's...and although we have not eliminated them...we are swinging more towards Florida...but one suggestion I have is that you download the state tax forms for the area's you are interested in...so that you might compare which state might be better suited for your needs...

Old 11-17-2009, 09:45 AM

7,411 posts, read 10,383,215 times
Los Angeles or SoCal offers many opportunities for year-round gardening. Any city that doesn't experience frost would be a good choice so that mainly means Florida and California [also Hawaii of-course]. Good luck.

Old 11-17-2009, 07:55 PM

My first choice is somewhere in florida. The only thing that even makes me consider other places is the posts on the florida forums complaining about the heat, crime, rude old people, child molesters, and so on.

Right now Im up in the air, Im looking at alot of areas mainly in the southeast. Even though its supposed to be less humid, I'm not really considering out west (texas,new mexico,arizona,california), it just seems so far away because I've never been there. Plus I've heard about all the water restrictions out there and that wouldnt be good for a landscaping business.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.