Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-02-2007, 02:14 PM

1,489 posts, read 8,799,323 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajf131 View Post
I actually can't really say that there are ANY similarities between Wichita and Richmond besides them being in the Bible belt...the two are worlds apart from each other in almost every sense of the word except of course when we are talking about The Word or maybe, maybe some forms of politics Same latitude, but almost 2000 miles apart. Have been to both places...while they may both be part of the Bible Belt, that's just about the only commonality I've observed between the two. Wichita is part of the Plains. Richmond is part of the Southeast. The Southern Plains and the Southeast are quite different from one another culturally, by speech patterns, etc. I could probably say with a fair amount of certainty that Richmond is likely far more conservative than a place like Wichita, although given Wichita isn't very far from the Oklahoma border that I may be wrong. I've always found Wichita myself to be a bit less conservative than Richmond from the few times I visited there ...that said, it certainly was not as grand as Richmond. I guess you could be right about the latitude..how does that line from that Jimmy Buffett song go....something like "Changes in latitudes, changes in attitudes, nothing remains quite the same." I would live in Richmond over Wichita without a second thought. My personal opinions on Oklahoma and KAnsas are that they are the most depressing states. Kansas is better in the sense that it at least is not a ugly state. Oklahoma is both ugly and boring...just try driving on Interstate 44 from Joplin, MO to the Texas Panhandle on Interstates 44 and 40. Some of the ugliest land i've ever seen. My dad personally having grown up in both Miami, OK and Joplin says that NE Oklahoma and SW Missouri west of Springfield are the most depressing places to grow up, or were back in the day when he was there, which was over 40 years ago. Joplin I think has had the chance to benefit from the growth of Springfield...the two cities are beginning to overlap each other and there is more there now then was there during my dad's time. That said, Tulsa and Oklahoma City are not such bad places to live. I just think Oklahoma's landscape is among the ugliest in the lower 48. Some corn does grow down there but it has to be harvested VERY early, we're talking like August, and most of it is really just pasteurland and ranchland...miles of just grass. I wish Oklahoma with the money they have would try to improve the scenery around their interstates.
I agree for the most part. My thoughts though on Kansas was the southern part is more "southern" of course than midwestern. Because I know people from that area who sound more like Oklahoma or Texas in their speech, and also how they are in their mannerisms, etc.

Richmond is not all as conservative as it used to be.Its nowhere near like NOVA, but influx of out of state people has caused the liberal factor in Richmond to rise. The last election- Richmond was split even between Kaine and Kilgore for Governer. Before Richmond would have been ovewhelmingly for a guy like Kilgore. But some of that could have to do with the Anti-Bush/War sentiment thats found in even the most conservative of hot spots.

Needless to say- Kaine actually one by a slim margin. That says a lot.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-02-2007, 02:38 PM

3,742 posts, read 8,399,243 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vasinger View Post
I agree for the most part. My thoughts though on Kansas was the southern part is more "southern" of course than midwestern. Because I know people from that area who sound more like Oklahoma or Texas in their speech, and also how they are in their mannerisms, etc.

Richmond is not all as conservative as it used to be.Its nowhere near like NOVA, but influx of out of state people has caused the liberal factor in Richmond to rise. The last election- Richmond was split even between Kaine and Kilgore for Governer. Before Richmond would have been ovewhelmingly for a guy like Kilgore. But some of that could have to do with the Anti-Bush/War sentiment thats found in even the most conservative of hot spots.

Needless to say- Kaine actually one by a slim margin. That says a lot.
i stand corrected about Richmond's politics then. I guess change can happen, or rather, right now, Bush pretty much has the whole country hating him, so it's not too surprising the Republicans are not doing as well now in places you would expect them to be doing well. But once he is out of office that could all change if another Republican candidate more favorable to the people than Bush is elected. And for the most part I would agree on your assessment of Southern Kansas.

Last edited by ajf131; 09-02-2007 at 02:47 PM..

Old 09-02-2007, 02:57 PM

1,489 posts, read 8,799,323 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ajf131 View Post
i stand corrected about Richmond's politics then. I guess change can happen, or rather, right now, Bush pretty much has the whole country hating him, so it's not too surprising the Republicans are not doing as well now in places you would expect them to be doing well. But once he is out of office that could all change if another Republican candidate more favorable to the people than Bush is elected. And for the most part I would agree on your assessment of Southern Kansas.
When you see Anti-Bush stickers in places like East Tennessee , you know its getting bad.

Old 09-02-2007, 03:32 PM

3,742 posts, read 8,399,243 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vasinger View Post
When you see Anti-Bush stickers in places like East Tennessee , you know its getting bad.
hehe, it's a shame IMO that they did not appear there before the Bush-Kerry election was to take place. Right now, i think that were the election to be done again, Bush would lose in a landslide to Kerry. I don't know about you, but after what Bush has done since his second election, i'm really convinced that John Kerry, whom I voted for, would have done a better job in office.

Old 02-12-2008, 06:16 PM

2 posts, read 4,691 times
Default Can you tell me more about Trussville?

Many years ago, I spent some time in Birmingham and loved it. I'm now retired and my wife & I are thinking about moving there from a small city in Michigan. I live on a small lake & would like to find something similar around Trussville. Is there a lake that's affordable there? What are the taxes like? I'm not a bigot but would prefer to live in a mostly white suburb. It sounds like you love Trussville and I would like to hear all the good things and all the bad things about living there. Thank you for any advice you can give us.
--Bob topidea@att.net

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eeyore View Post
Ok, I live in Birmingham. It is a GREAT city. I travel ALOT and there isn't much better out there as far as good day to day living.

In fact Birmingham has continually been on the top of many "most livable" lists. We actually have a huge yearly music festival celebrating our place as "America's Most Livable City" (Newsweek and Conference of Mayors)

It is rated top in the US as far as medical care---the main industry in B'ham.

However there is one area that we have been on bottom: non-drivers. There is a bus system. It is reliable, but not extensive. I live in the Trussville and it is like 5 to 7 miles to the nearest bus stop. (No one from Trussville would be caught dead on the bus anyway--more about that later) If you just mainly stayed in the downtown area you could make it without a car. But I dont think you would find everything you need downtown.

there is often talk of improving public transportation here. But it is slow...AS MOLLASSES (as we say down here)

It will be very hard for it to improve because there is a mentality here that public transportation is for poor people. Cars are an important part of most peoples identity down here. Keep in mind it can get pretty hot here too. Birminghamians are tempted to take their car when they visit their next door neighbors. lol It's really not that uncommon for people to drive to their mailbox....if the drive way is a little long or steep.

So I dont see how the city could ever support more extensive public transportation here. Especially if they are going to keep it affordable for the few people who do use it.

So If you are seriously averse to driving....Id think twice. But if you want to live in the most livable city in America.....get a car. lol

Eeyore

Old 02-12-2011, 07:24 PM

1 posts, read 1,038 times
If you look at a map Texas is the southmost state in the US. Houston is no more southern than New Orleans, than to the rest of the south an in my opinion the deep south is gulf coast.

Old 02-12-2011, 08:15 PM

20,516 posts, read 33,556,399 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bernard8504 View Post
If you look at a map Texas is the southmost state in the US. Houston is no more southern than New Orleans, than to the rest of the south an in my opinion the deep south is gulf coast.
Means nothing. If you go by the map than I guess Arizona and New Mexico are Southern as well. It is all about culture and less about geography.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.