Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-25-2009, 11:26 PM

1,333 posts, read 2,209,185 times

Advertisements

I work for the federal government and there are job opportunities in every city and town in the country, although the most jobs are in the bigger cities like DC. I'm currently in Florida and looking for a change.

I'm originally from new york city and can handle the cold but don't care for winters any more brutal than that. So that eliminates much of the upper midwest and parts of the northeast and west. I'm young and single and would like a place with lots of other young professional singles so I can date and find a wife to settle down with and have a family.

DC is the obvious choice but I'd like more options to consider.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-26-2009, 09:03 AM
Bo Bo won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Tenth Edition (Apr-May 2014). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

17,107 posts, read 38,150,479 times
Texas has lately had one of the most robust economies in the country, but the only Texas market to gain jobs this year is McAllen, in deep South Texas near the border. Since you're already in Florida, you'd probably be well-equipped to cope with the hot climate there.

DC is expected to have the most job growth of any major metro in the country, because of the increase in government jobs. I don't want to see this thread go in a political direction, so I will make my next point this way... Even if your political views are perfectly in sync with the current administration's, you'll need to have a high tolerance for bureaucracy to work in a Federal government job.

Old 08-26-2009, 09:36 AM

5,969 posts, read 9,582,335 times
Research Philadelphia, it offers all you are looking for in a true urban setting with many excellent neighborhoods.

Old 08-26-2009, 09:43 AM

596 posts, read 1,708,800 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by logybogy View Post
I work for the federal government and there are job opportunities in every city and town in the country, although the most jobs are in the bigger cities like DC. I'm currently in Florida and looking for a change.

I'm originally from new york city and can handle the cold but don't care for winters any more brutal than that. So that eliminates much of the upper midwest and parts of the northeast and west. I'm young and single and would like a place with lots of other young professional singles so I can date and find a wife to settle down with and have a family.

DC is the obvious choice but I'd like more options to consider.

Maybe consider something more middle ground geographically. Some decent sized cities with plenty going on, somewhat healthy economies, younger populations and moderate climates would include Atlanta, Nashville, Raleigh-Durham and Richmond.

Old 08-26-2009, 10:06 AM

1,465 posts, read 4,581,007 times
It depends on how you feel about the heat, but check out some of the Southwest. Maybe even places like western Colorado, or southern Utah!

Old 08-26-2009, 10:15 AM

7,731 posts, read 14,386,065 times
logybogy - You probably are aware of this, but Atlanta is a huge Federal job center. Cost of living is lower than Florida and the NE, with four true seasons. Every single Federal agency with the exception of NASA has their Southeast HQ's here, plus the actual HQ's of the CDC.Good luck!

Old 08-26-2009, 10:30 AM

5,251 posts, read 13,835,642 times
You'd love Hoboken, NJ.
The median resident age there is 30 years old.

They say it's the best place for young singles.
Hoboken is number one! - Hoboken411.com » Hoboken's Leading Web Community

It's a city for young professionals working in Manhattan. So your looking at very high cost of living... apartments to rent there are well above $1400-$1600/mo for a one bedroom apartment. But you have to consider it's location... It is right next to the Lincoln tunnel, with midtown Manhattan an extremely short distance away.
Hoboken also has more bars per square miles than any other city in the nation... So it being the best place for young singles, and having the most bars per square mile.. I think you'd be good here
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.