Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-30-2009, 06:42 PM

13,809 posts, read 26,577,917 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasTheKid View Post
Forgive my ignorance, but how exactly is Australian food distinctive? Outside of vegemite and barbecued shrimp, I'm not aware of any food that really can be called Australian. Unless you're looking for a place that sells something wild like grilled wallaby... Also, I regularly see emu steaks at the local higher end grocery stores here in Houston.
I don't know much about either and hadn't heard of it as distinctive. However seeing different parts of the US have distinctive cuisine it doesn't seem implausible English-speaking nations would have differences with both us and Britain.

Looking it up...

Australian cuisine - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Besides vegemite Wikipedia mentions "Chiko Roll", "Damper", a drink called "Milo", and the aforementioned "Meat pie." However many of the distinctive things it mentions are specific brand-name candies, beers, or wines.

http://www.cultureandrecreation.gov..../foodanddrink/

Is a more official site. It says some about Australian aboriginal food which, in traditional form anyway, is likely much different than American food.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-31-2009, 03:20 PM

501 posts, read 1,430,541 times
^ Yeah, there aren't a lot of authentic Australian food (besides Aborigine food which includes nuts and bugs), but there are some. I think BBQing is their main staple. They make awesome BBQs. Australians also eat a lot of camel. (Which I learned isn't the meat for me when I ate it in Sydney. It's too chewy. >D But, I enjoyed kangaroo.)

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtur88 View Post
Party pies? I think they are fairly close to the Pasties, very common in Upper Michigan. Pasties, though, are not pie-tin formed, but just laid out flat and baked on a sheet.
Interesting. Never heard of 'party pies" until your post. Didn't think there were other names to call "meat pies".

Old 08-03-2009, 06:22 AM

37,803 posts, read 41,056,245 times
My immigration policy would be to only let people into this country who plan to open restaurants from their native land. You know, if you're a scientist or a doctor or an IT guy or a lawnmower repairman, well then somebody in your family coming with you has to open a restaurant or you don't get to work/live here. Doesn't have to be a fancy one. That's my immigration policy and I'm sticking with it.

Maybe then you'd have some authentic Australian food.

Old 10-27-2009, 03:05 PM

1 posts, read 2,519 times
I'm from Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, but I previously lived in Perth, Western Australia and my wife is from there as well. There is a style of Australian cooking called Mod-Oz (for Modern Australian), which uses European cooking techniques to cook native Australian ingredients (much the way that Creole cooking uses French techniques to cook native ingredients from Louisiana). Asian techniques and ingredients have also influenced a lot of contemporary Australian cooking, which is understandable since Australia is located in the Asian region. Much of Australia's traditional food, however, is similar to items you'll find in England (sausage rolls, meat pies, Cornish pasties, etc). One poster asked about a party pie. A party pie simply refers to a miniature meat pie, served as a hors d’oeuvre at a party. There are several decent Australian bakeries and/or meat pie shops sprinkled throughout the U.S. They ship all over the nation. My personal favorite is the Australian Bakery in Atlanta, GA. Some cities have Mod-Oz restaurants / bars too, but they're more difficult to find. Eight Mile Creek in New York City comes to mind (they have a fine dining menu featuring Mod-Oz cuisine as well as a bar menu featuring things like meat pies and sausage rolls), as well as Bondi in San Diego, and Matilda's Restaurant in Newark, Delaware, about an hour outside of Philadelphia. There are also several websites that provide Australian brands, including packaged groceries. The most popular of these is probably Simply Australian (Simply Australian: Home of Quality Australian Products). Hope this helps.

Old 10-27-2009, 03:08 PM

12,384 posts, read 28,541,157 times
I've seen it on the west coat but nowhere else, same thing with hawaiian stuff...(seen a few of those elsewhere, but not so much)

Old 08-22-2017, 05:05 AM

2 posts, read 2,288 times
Default You can get it straight from Australia now

There is now an online Australian grocery store called The Australian Food Shop, they post Aussie food world wide. You can get pretty much anything you would find in an Australian grocery store from them. You can find them at [url]https://www.theaustralianfoodshop.com/[/url]

Old 08-22-2017, 05:18 AM

1,642 posts, read 1,403,584 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasTheKid View Post
Forgive my ignorance, but how exactly is Australian food distinctive? Outside of vegemite and barbecued shrimp, I'm not aware of any food that really can be called Australian. Unless you're looking for a place that sells something wild like grilled wallaby... Also, I regularly see emu steaks at the local higher end grocery stores here in Houston.
I was thinking the same thing. Then I thought a blooming onion, then I though The Outback Steakhouse might not be authentic.

Old 08-24-2017, 03:25 PM

2,515 posts, read 5,029,096 times
About Us

"Pacific Pie Company was launched in 2009 when husband and wife team Sarah + Chris moved to Portland from Chris’ native Australia. Chris was homesick for all things Aussie, including meat pies, so Sarah started baking them for him…and a business was born!"
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.