Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-14-2009, 10:10 AM

12,384 posts, read 28,543,290 times

Advertisements

I am more familiar with FL and my particular county and know that they have a lot of registered democrats. Thing is, the democrats here aren't like the rest of the country. I hardly meet ANYBODY with a liberal or progressive mind set in the south outside of university campus (and really not much even there when u get into convos), and definitely not at work, they play fox news and listen to rush limbaugh on the radio at the state office... makes it a bit uncomfortable when u hear constant political stuff being mouthed allover, and lots of latent racism too, esp from whites to other whites... I guess they just assume I have the same attitude as them since I keep their mouth shut...surprising what they will say esp after Barack has gotten elected.

I'm honestly surprised FL went Blue this time... b/c the attitude at least from what I see is pretty damn conservative. Especially socially conservative. Fiscally its a flip flop, and I am pretty in the middle there.

Also my local congressman Allen Boyd seems like a typical republican if he were ANYWHERE else in the country, I get email updates from him and it reads off like he is from kentucky repub platform.

I know a lot of people on this board promote their areas in the south as hey, we are cool, we have a lot of democrats, so you should be safe... but pretty much ALL of them are religious conservatives outside of maybe ATL, Houston and Dallas.

Personally I think this is misleading and these people should really just register as republicans and only democrats from the south history of conservate/blue dog dems...

Just going by some D/R #'s the political climate seems maybe moderate or 50/50 sometimes... but in actuality it feels HIGHLY conservatives and don't see why any of most people I meet are registered Democrats.

Anywho...

Old 04-14-2009, 11:16 AM

4,775 posts, read 8,850,533 times
Thats definitely not true. Plenty of democrats are in the south including FL. The sunshine state did go blue.

Old 04-14-2009, 11:17 AM
Bo Bo won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Tenth Edition (Apr-May 2014). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

17,107 posts, read 38,139,124 times
Party politics is off-topic everywhere on City-Data but the Politics and Other Controversies forum. Thread closed, but feel free to start a new thread there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.