Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-09-2009, 09:06 PM

6,613 posts, read 16,579,554 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReluctantGardenStater View Post
Perhaps, although one could easily make the argument that as far as the South goes, it's obviously Florida followed by North Carolina or Virginia.

This is of course due to a massive influx of Northerners.
I think that the Northerners who move South tend to be more conservative Northerners. (Often times still more liberal than many Southerners, tho.)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-14-2010, 07:34 AM

61 posts, read 128,495 times
Anywhere you have a population density tends to have more liberality . This is true in all sectors of the country . I have extensively traveled the country . It is humorous to read the many stereotypical postings by people on this site .

Old 02-14-2010, 08:11 PM

1,359 posts, read 3,721,284 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by a1california View Post
Anywhere you have a population density tends to have more liberality .
True, but only relative to less dense areas in that particular state. Washington and Oregon are good examples of low density liberal states.

Old 02-15-2010, 05:07 AM

1,712 posts, read 3,102,641 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpterp View Post
True, but only relative to less dense areas in that particular state. Washington and Oregon are good examples of low density liberal states.
Actually, Oregon (outside of Portland and Eugene) and Washington (outside of Seattle) are more conservative

The cities themselves are where the population density is and are liberal

Old 02-16-2010, 04:56 AM

9,067 posts, read 15,794,327 times
I think people are putting to much into national attitudes about these states.I think looking at their overall histories from also within is a better barometer.Traditionally speaking Georgia and North Carolina have always been considered the most progressive in the South due to in large part their records on Civil Rights.In Georgia case past governors like Zell Miller (when he was gov.,don't know what his problem is now),Roy Barnes,(Running again after a defeat 8 years ago.Proponent of High speed rail and mass transit ),Carl Sanders,Jimmy Carter and even Samuel Ernest Vandiver Jr.Jimmy Carter became president due to his progressive policies as governor of Georgia.Georgia was spared a lot of the nastiness of the civil rights era that grabbed AL,MS,SC etc....Not to mention Georgia had the first black State Supreme Court Justice,First black woman Chief Justice,State D.A.,and State Labour Commissioner.These are state wide elected positions.

I believe I am correct by saying that Georgia has the largest number of Historically Black Colleges and Universities.Especially those that are publicly created.As there are 3 state(public) HBCU,the most in the nation.

Atlanta and Georgia desegregated their schools without bloodshed.UGA was allowed to integrate after a presidential order forced it to,but the Governor(Vandiver)did not contest it as it was done in MS,AL and elsewhere.

Georgia was also one of the few Southern states that have removed its Confederate Battle flag emblem off its state flag without a boycott.

Atlanta had the first minority mayor of a major Southern city,was the first city in the South to grant domestic benefits to employees.First elected gay city council president of a major city.

Old 02-16-2010, 10:47 PM

13,809 posts, read 26,553,213 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by a1california View Post
Anywhere you have a population density tends to have more liberality . This is true in all sectors of the country . I have extensively traveled the country . It is humorous to read the many stereotypical postings by people on this site .
The reverse doesn't always work. I think Vermont is fairly liberal, but I don't think it's that densely populated. Minnesota I think has some areas that aren't very densely populated, but are liberal. Santa Fe, New Mexico I think is deemed liberal but not particularly dense.

Still possibly when you're crammed into a place with strangers conservative values like property rights, tradition, etc lose importance. Although I don't know if that really works when it comes to people as a whole. The Indian subcontinent has some very densely packed places that are pretty conservative. In its way Singapore is pretty conservative, but it's a fairly packed city.

Anyway I go off the Net for Lent, see you Easter.

Old 02-17-2010, 10:47 PM

1,250 posts, read 2,517,147 times
It depends on what your definition of liberal/conservative. I get the feeling from the poster it they are asking in terms of social values. There doesn't seem to be many people who would be considered liberal in other parts of the county, but I do get the feeling the last 5 years that is starting to change.

Now a related question is does any see a huge generation gap in Southern politics like I do, especially on social issues developing? How is the impact of people from other parts of the country moving in impacting the politics? Also now you are seeing significant numbers of of children of transplants reaching adulthood and how they are impacting things and are they more like their peers who have long Southern lineages or the other way around? I just am seeing a giant generation gap on social issues in the South with the line being somewhere around 30 years old.

Old 07-06-2010, 04:44 PM

210 posts, read 665,018 times
If your a YANKEE OR LIBERAL you will NOT be WELCOMED in the following Florida towns:

Marianna FL, Live Oak FL, Plant City FL, Fernandina Beach FL, Daytona BEach FL, Lake City FL, Brooksville FL, Fort Pierce FL, Okeechobee FL, Apalachicola FL, Panama City FL, Chiply FL, Quincey FL, Bonifay FL, Defuniak Springs FL, Milton FL, Wewahitchka FL, Homestead FL, Stuart, Clewiston FL, Bartow FL, Floral CIty, HOmosassa Springs FL, St Augustine FL, ORmaond Beach, Lake Butler, Cross CIty FL, Madison FL, Monticello FL, Jasper FL, Havana Fl, Mexico Beach FL, Port St. Joe FL, Detin FL, Ft. Walton Beach FL, Perry FL, Chiefland FL, Lamont FL, Blountstown FL, Graceville FL, Crestview FL, NIceville FL, Miramar Beach FL, Gasparilla Island FL, LAguna Beach FL, Carabelle FL, Alligator Point FL< St. George Island FL, Steinhatchee FL, Starke FL, Palatka FL, Dunnellon FL, Inverness FL, Fish HAwk FL, St. Cloud FL, Immokalee FL, Belle Glade FL, Labelle FL, Wauchula FL, Lake Placid FL

Miami is your best bet.

Old 07-06-2010, 10:37 PM

996 posts, read 1,896,862 times
Florida is pretty moderate as a whole.
Northern Virginia drags the whole state into "moderate"
Charlotte, Durham, Raleigh, Winston-Salem make North Carolina more moderate
Atlanta makes Georgia less Conservative (it went only 52-46 McCain)

Old 07-06-2010, 11:01 PM

15,982 posts, read 35,206,894 times
I think Texas is moderate.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.