Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-19-2009, 08:58 AM

8,977 posts, read 17,284,870 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Awesomo.2000 View Post
However, stating that somebody who doesn't want to obtain knowledge in art and science must not be intelligent and open minded is not that much of a shocker. I have no idea why something like this makes 4 people so angry and argumentative over such a stupid statement.
I am not angry; I just think you are wrong and the comment is rather smug. I don't think anyone is attacking you, you are just being defensive. It is ok for people to have different opinions, it is just that having differing opinions leads to flame battles on this forum.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-19-2009, 11:47 AM

117 posts, read 394,505 times
I have lived in a both a Big city and a small rural town of under 1000 people and to tell you the truth I cant decide which I like Best. Maybe because Im very easy to please I could sit in the woods or by a lake for hours everyday and have fun. I also like the bustle of big cities.

Old 01-19-2009, 11:56 AM

12,997 posts, read 13,641,967 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Awesomo.2000 View Post
I just want to see urban areas and rural areas all converge. Screw the idea of a "town" or "city". Lets just turn every rural area, farm land, and forested area into one large exurb. Housing plans, Walmarts, and Targets as far as the eye can see from coast to coast! Lets destroy every small town, and large city neighborhood!

Wouldn't Old Faithful look really cool in the center of a huge Walmart Parking lot. It could be like a fancy fountain in the middle for people to look at when parking their cars!
What a d*** good idea! Why hasn't some one already thought of this?

Last edited by WestCobb; 01-19-2009 at 11:57 AM.. Reason: grammar

Old 01-19-2009, 11:58 AM

18,356 posts, read 26,489,954 times
I despise cities and would do just fine without them (better perhaps since I wouldn't have to worry about people from cities foisting their ideas, regulations and taxes on me). Most of this country's resources (besides just the agriculture) are in rural areas, and much of what industry we have left is in more rural areas (as companies found it more profitable leaving behind the high taxes of the cities). Cities need rural areas, rural areas don't need cities.

Old 01-19-2009, 12:11 PM

10 posts, read 46,258 times
I enjoy visiting decent cities (NYC, Memphis, Philadelphia) but after having lived for 2 and a half years in one of Jersey's biggest (and in my opinion, most boring) city, i really have no desire to live in one ever again. I prefer the laid back life and the clean air you get in a small town or countryside. I also love to be around nature and that wasn't something you could truly enjoy back in Elizabeth NJ so being here means a whole lot.

Old 01-19-2009, 12:18 PM

12,836 posts, read 22,014,769 times
I prefer the big city. I enjoy the ability to live without a car, I enjoy having the best in culture and entertainment right at your fingertips and in your back yard every day. I like public spaces as opposed to privately owned land.... I feel it promotes seclusion and separation. I like the diversity that's often more prevalent in bigger cities and I like the pace in a bigger city.

That's not to say I think suburbia and rural living is BAD... it's just not for me. I don't need a back yard, I don't need to be surrounded by wilderness. When I want those things i can spend a weekend in the country.... I just don't want to live in that environment anymore (having lived in both).

Old 01-19-2009, 12:23 PM

9,169 posts, read 13,244,033 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BDubLR View Post
One thing I don't think people grasp is rural people have an entirely different mindset and culture than urban people. I would say its comparible to the difference between the way of thinking of western man and eastern (Islamic) man. That doesn't make them any less intelligent, just different. I know some very intelligent people who get much more enjoyment out of doing into the woods hunting than going to an art museum or an opera. Its just part of the culture around here.
Wouldn't a well rounded intelligent person want to do some of both? I do not see the argument that a rural person who only likes the outdoors or sports should not also like art, music, history etc. And vice versa for a urban person.

Old 01-19-2009, 12:25 PM

6,041 posts, read 11,469,840 times
I don't see what art museums and operas have to do with intelligence. I am smart and I could go the rest of my life without entering a museum or opera.

Old 01-19-2009, 02:33 PM

9,169 posts, read 13,244,033 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by city_data91 View Post
I don't see what art museums and operas have to do with intelligence. I am smart and I could go the rest of my life without entering a museum or opera.
Yes you could avoid them. Many people do. I have never gone to an opera myself.

But my point is you will always be missing out on things if you categorize them as simply "Oh thats only for country folk" or "only city slickers would want to do that"

And thats not smart!

Old 01-19-2009, 02:37 PM

6,041 posts, read 11,469,840 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LINative View Post
Yes you could avoid them. Many people do. I have never gone to an opera myself.

But my point is you will always be missing out on things if you categorize them as simply "Oh thats only for country folk" or "only city slickers would want to do that"

And thats not smart!
I don't categorize like that. I don't go to operas because I don't like them. I don't like hunting either.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.