Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-22-2009, 03:43 PM

26,407 posts, read 46,581,861 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canine*Castle View Post
I don't know what part of Texas that poster was referring to, but I live in rural Texas and there is no way a 3-bedroom house is rented for $400, more like $1,000 which is still good in comparison to your area.

Keep in mind that Texas (as one of the southern states) has the HIGHEST homeowner's insurance rates in the country. Property taxes are also quite high as is electricity. No, we don't have a state income tax but either do many other states and they don't charge what we do for the above. Grant it though, housing is less expensive but checking out other areas of the country, Texas prices are comparable to other states.

I can certainly understand why people would want to escape freezing and snowy winters, but the summer weather in the south is terrible, long (not just 3 months long), hot and humid. Which one is worse? I don't know because I've never lived where the winters are brutal.
I live in the north and my heating costs are low because I use wood that is selectively cut off my land. I also have passive solar capabilities, a pellet stove, and electric heat. I am NOT reliant on oil and gas to heat my house and save lots of money that way.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-22-2009, 08:46 PM

62 posts, read 173,873 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by houstoner View Post
Where in Texas are you??? A 3-bedroom house where I live rents from around $1200+. Less than $400 and you're looking at a roach motel.
Why would I have to be looking at a roach motel? I am from there and the rent is very cheap now I live in Mi where you expect to $1200/mo for a 3-4 bedroom house. I still don't pay that much rent I think $1200 is insane if you ask me.

Old 03-22-2009, 08:54 PM

62 posts, read 173,873 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rachael84 View Post
wow, less than $400?? 3 bedroom rentals in my area are around $2000. But it's worth it for what you get in the area.
I'm not rich so I can't and never would base of my decision to live in an area area because I think it has to look like a million dollars. Of course I'm not going to live in a dump with trash all over. Rent from where I'm from could range up to four something it just all depends.

Old 03-22-2009, 09:17 PM

80 posts, read 278,206 times
To get away from the cold, dreary, blustery, depressing, chilly, windy, wet, snowy, icy, depressing, bone chilling, cloudy, overcast, slushy, freezing ( did I mention depressing ? ) WINTER !!!

Old 03-22-2009, 09:24 PM

1,117 posts, read 2,927,069 times
^ Some people actually like 4 seasons instead of the same ol same ol you find in the south.

Old 03-22-2009, 09:34 PM

8,289 posts, read 23,111,797 times
Quote:
There is not as much history, culture, interesting architecture, unique food, seasonal changes, powerful schools, mixed public transportation, and ethnic neighborhoods in certain new sun belt cities.
I agree completely but have you ever lived in Minn or WI it's horrible in winter!!!

Old 03-22-2009, 09:57 PM

3,282 posts, read 5,202,213 times
Maybe it's good that all the people who can't take the Winter go down South. I sure wouldn't want them complaining to me about how cold it is all the time.

Old 03-22-2009, 10:16 PM

26,407 posts, read 46,581,861 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mongohateswinter View Post
To get away from the cold, dreary, blustery, depressing, chilly, windy, wet, snowy, icy, depressing, bone chilling, cloudy, overcast, slushy, freezing ( did I mention depressing ? ) WINTER !!!
I am outside all the time in the winter here in NH and it is awesome. The weather is much less windy compared to the Midwest.

Old 03-23-2009, 09:33 AM

8,900 posts, read 15,939,050 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brickmama View Post
^ Some people actually like 4 seasons instead of the same ol same ol you find in the south.

Exactly. I have always loved winter for the fact that it's my hockey season. I know I can play hockey in other areas of the country, but the northeast offers the most competitive womens ice hockey

Old 03-23-2009, 11:14 AM

1,247 posts, read 3,863,121 times
^^^Actually, winter is by far my favorite season. No yardwork, no heat, no humidity, no 300-pound morons without shirts drinking beer on the back of their truck. Definitely a lot of negative aspects of all seasons.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.