Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Thread summary:

Ideas and suggestions on how to cope with living in large urban cities and suburbs of cities, local Atlanta dog parks, train commute, dog loving neighbors, ball fields, good climate

Old 02-03-2007, 02:58 PM

8,862 posts, read 17,507,130 times

Advertisements

Any thoughts, opinions or suggestions on how to cope with life in larger urban areas--suburbs/cities.

Atlanta has really grown--so big and spread out that now we seem to lead very compartmentalized lives. Go to work, take care of your family/self, home and there is not much time left--for many at least. The gridlock traffic is draining and contributes to 'Stress'--I am certain that is true almost everywhere.

Here is an example --I need to find places to take my 10 wk old puppy to socialize with other people and dogs--one thing I am considering is the local Dog Parks...

~~~~~~~
I've been trying to find 'Play Groups' for my puppy, Josh, 10 wk old lhasa apso.

I know and enjoy --Piedmont Park and Mason Mill Dog Park and others in that area of NE Atlanta.

Generally I think larger dogs frequent the dog parks. It varies.

I have searched online and found Meet Up dot com. There are all kinds of groups--including dog groups. LOL--of course Meeting Up would require a lengthy drive as the dogs/owners are spread across the city. I am thinking about that.

I read that a new dog park --Pinckneyville Dog Park, in Norcross --??South Old Norcross Rd--opened last fall. It sounds very nice. Has anyone been there?

At Graves Dog Park--also somewhere in Norcross, maybe toward Jimmy Carter?--the description listed agility equipment. My dog would not need that--lol--5lbs --but it is fun to watch and he needs to 'Socialize'.

If you have other ideas about where dogs can go to Meet/Socialize in Atlanta--particularly NE Atlanta--I would appreciate the FYI.

He will start Puppy Kindergarten at the end of the month. Josh knows 'Sit' and plays Fetch very well, jmo. We are ready to go walking with the leash.

This is my first puppy--I previously had older dogs and I have really enjoyed Josh. He was really tiny--about 2 lbs when I got him. Such a big boy now at 5 lbs.

(There are so many positive aspects to living in Atlanta--but it does seem to be rather difficult to 'Meet' others. I blame the traffic--very little personal time after the grueling commutes and trying to manage life...It was 'Easier' once upon a time.)

Thanks.

sls
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-03-2007, 10:34 PM
j33

4,626 posts, read 14,099,218 times
See, that is what I don't understand about the whole 'commute thing' in these heavily car based cities. I realize that everyone has different needs, etc. but my commute is 35 minutes from the moment I walk out the door to the moment I walk into work (I don't have a car, so it is just a short walk to the train, a wait for the train, a ten minute train ride, and short walk to the office). I've chosen this lifestyle though, I could move further out, get a bigger space, buy a car, and double (or more) my commute, but the sacrifice isn't worth it.

In my neighborhood, there isn't a dog park, there is a school yard that people use in the off hours for dog walking/running around and socialization, there is nothing official about it, but it seems to meet the need. Isn't there something like that you could just walk your dog too rather than getting back into your car and driving halfway across town? Sounds like you are adding to your stress if you ask me, why don't you find something local that you can walk to.

As far as meeting people is concerned, I don't think you are alone in that, but if you are going to pursue a social group, why not pursue a local one so that you'll feel like you have neighbors.

Old 02-03-2007, 10:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by j33 View Post
See, that is what I don't understand about the whole 'commute thing' in these heavily car based cities. I realize that everyone has different needs, etc. but my commute is 35 minutes from the moment I walk out the door to the moment I walk into work (I don't have a car, so it is just a short walk to the train, a wait for the train, a ten minute train ride, and short walk to the office). I've chosen this lifestyle though, I could move further out, get a bigger space, buy a car, and double (or more) my commute, but the sacrifice isn't worth it.

In my neighborhood, there isn't a dog park, there is a school yard that people use in the off hours for dog walking/running around and socialization, there is nothing official about it, but it seems to meet the need. Isn't there something like that you could just walk your dog too rather than getting back into your car and driving halfway across town? Sounds like you are adding to your stress if you ask me, why don't you find something local that you can walk to.

As far as meeting people is concerned, I don't think you are alone in that, but if you are going to pursue a social group, why not pursue a local one so that you'll feel like you have neighbors.
I couldn't agree more completely with your observations.

I believe my little corner of the world has become 'Too Anal'--and there is no 12 step program for that.

In a few weeks it will be warmer--closer to 40's/50's --Josh and I will start walking. If my neighbors are so hard/soul-less that they can't like a cutie like Josh--just say Hi or maybe stop to pet him--then I really don't care to know them. Without deep analysis--I think such people are 'A' ----'s.

Old 02-03-2007, 11:14 PM
j33

4,626 posts, read 14,099,218 times
Cut your neighbors a bit of slack when it comes to your dog. Not everyone is a dog person, I know that I'm not, but I have good friends that are very much dog people and I enjoy their company, and while I'm probably not the sort that would notice or stop and pet a dog, I'm a friendly and good neighbor to those whom I've met in my neighborhood. Just because someone isn't a 'dog person' doesn't mean that he or she isn't a good person, perhaps you should try and find some other common ground with your neighbors.

Old 02-04-2007, 07:57 AM

There are a lot of 'Dog' people here--it is something else.

I really think 'That's Just the Atlanta Style' now--very busy, professional people and to live here you just learn to be 'aloof' or something.

Everyone has an opinion and at times hard feelings develop from a casual remark.

ie--The War in Iraq--you can just imagine
<sigh> We have Diversity but have not really become 'Objective'.
I guess I should start a Rant thread--but really--because of the climate in my local area--feel rather anxious even posting personal 'Issues' with some degree of anonymity.

Thanks for listening.

I'm taking my cute puppy to the new dog park --I know the people 'Over There' are more open.

He is so funny--playing with his stuffed toys now. And running around like a fiend. 5lbs a fur ball.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.